Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Tim Floyd

KC sports radio station is playing the USC press conference live and I hadn't gotten around to changing it but it was kind of interesting listening to Floyd. A guy gets up to ask a question and Tim calls him by name. The guy says "Rick Brown, Des Moines Register" and Tim kind of cuts him off and laughs and says "I remember you. How are you doin'?" The question was about his tournament experiences and in his answer he said the loss to UCLA was still the toughest to take of any in his career. Said that his USC team and that ISU team were really different.

The next question was from a radio guy in Manhattan asking about the differences between coaching at USC and ISU. He basically said ISU was a great opportunity for him coming from UNO. Said he thought the toughest jump for any coach is the one from a midmajor to a major conference. Said he really learned a lot going against such good coaches and mentioned several old Big 8 names. Mentioned that Johnny Orr left him a good program and some talented players. Said recruiting is much easier at USC because he can go see so many great players and be in his own bed that same night. Ended up saying how much he liked his time in Ames and the midwest.

The best moment is when he was asked about being a 6 seed and playing so close to K-State. He had a long pause and said, "That's a really great question. (pause) No one's asked that yet and that's a really great question. (pause) I'm not going to comment on anything about that." You could tell he's not very happy about it but didn't want to get in trouble.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 558
    Given: 392

Re: Tim Floyd

There is no doubt in my mind that USC wins that match.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 266
    Given: 37

I like Beasley, but I am pulling for USC big time in this one! They have great school colors too.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 244
    Given: 312

I took K-State. Both teams are very up and down. If USC win I would not be suprised. If K-State beats them by 20 I would not be suprised.

Pro
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 479
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 192
    Given: 274

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    There is no doubt in my mind that USC wins that match.
    Tim Floyd vs. Frank Martin:

When it comes to coaching it's "no contest."

All-Star
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 574
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

Floyd will throw a box and one defense on Beasley and USC wins by 9. This is easy money.

Addict
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 843
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 101

Quote Originally Posted by EggMcClone View Post
    The question was about his tournament experiences and in his answer he said the loss to UCLA was still the toughest to take of any in his career. .
    Thanks for posting. I believe Floyd was the greatest MBB coach for ISU because he had the perfect blend of excellent coaching skills and an excellent recruiter: Cato, Nurse, and of course he brought the only MacD All American to Ames.

I always believe whenever Floyd had a few days to draw a game plan, that ISU would be in position to win the game.

I was at the UCLA game and that is hard to take. I remember we had a 16-point lead with 16 minutes left in the game. How in the heck did we give that up?? Also, the out of bounds play when JC got run over and no charge was called really ticked my off - I saw Kentucky run that exact play vs Georgia last weekend and when they didn't get the call, it reminded me of Floyd's out of bounds play.

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

Lost in Eastern Iowa
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 101

Quote Originally Posted by Go2Guy View Post
    Thanks for posting. I believe Floyd was the greatest MBB coach for ISU because he had the perfect blend of excellent coaching skills and an excellent recruiter: Cato, Nurse, and of course he brought the only MacD All American to Ames.

I always believe whenever Floyd had a few days to draw a game plan, that ISU would be in position to win the game.

I was at the UCLA game and that is hard to take. I remember we had a 16-point lead with 16 minutes left in the game. How in the heck did we give that up?? Also, the out of bounds play when JC got run over and no charge was called really ticked my off - I saw Kentucky run that exact play vs Georgia last weekend and when they didn't get the call, it reminded me of Floyd's out of bounds play.
    I couldn't agree more. I believe the UCLA and Michigan State losses are the two most heartbreaking NCAA losses we've ever had. We could have done big things with wins in those two games.

42-54 Record in CF Mafia. The most games played and wins by any player in Cyclone Fanatic History. Yes, I'm a nerd.

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by EggMcClone View Post
    KC sports radio station is playing the USC press conference live and I hadn't gotten around to changing it but it was kind of interesting listening to Floyd. A guy gets up to ask a question and Tim calls him by name. The guy says "Rick Brown, Des Moines Register" and Tim kind of cuts him off and laughs and says "I remember you. How are you doin'?" The question was about his tournament experiences and in his answer he said the loss to UCLA was still the toughest to take of any in his career. Said that his USC team and that ISU team were really different.

The next question was from a radio guy in Manhattan asking about the differences between coaching at USC and ISU. He basically said ISU was a great opportunity for him coming from UNO. Said he thought the toughest jump for any coach is the one from a midmajor to a major conference. Said he really learned a lot going against such good coaches and mentioned several old Big 8 names. Mentioned that Johnny Orr left him a good program and some talented players. Said recruiting is much easier at USC because he can go see so many great players and be in his own bed that same night. Ended up saying how much he liked his time in Ames and the midwest.

The best moment is when he was asked about being a 6 seed and playing so close to K-State. He had a long pause and said, "That's a really great question. (pause) No one's asked that yet and that's a really great question. (pause) I'm not going to comment on anything about that." You could tell he's not very happy about it but didn't want to get in trouble.
    I found that loss in the Alamodome to be tough to take as well...unfortunately I had great seats for one tough loss that night in San Antonio.

I think we are seeing how tough the "jump" is with McDermott...some can make it and some can't.

Glad he gave Johnny his "props".

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 2

I will root for Floyd wherever he is as long as his team isn't playing us. I think he is great.

I hope he shuts down Beasley and makes a deep run in the tourney.

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 607
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

I will root for Tim's teams wherever he goes as well. Tim is such a better coach than Martin that I don't think I could pick K-state once if they matched up 10 times.

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I'm a huge fan of Floyd. Fans actually go to games at SC now because of him.

And I'm tempted to hand out some neg rep for those unpleasent memories some of you brought up. I need a beer.

"If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,566
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 113

If I remember that game correctly, I also think that Cameron Dollar might have gotten away with pushing off against Jacy Holloway before he made that shot in the land. I also remember that if the trajectory of his shot had been about half an inch lower that Cato would have blocked it...

Oh well.....that loss stunk, but it also made the 2000 NCAA tournament absolute stomping of them that much sweeter. Man, that was a bloody and vicious beating we gave them, and I loved every minute of it.

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 228
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 85

The jump was easier since he also had Hoiberg, Meyer, Beecham, and Julius as seniors that year. Would still take him back in a second!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Go2Guy View Post

Right on brother! Floyd was a great get for ISU. His UNO team had a pretty good KU team on the ropes in the previous year's NCAA tournament.

He was the best floor coach I've seen (and I've seen 'em all since Coach John) at ISU. Give him a few days to design a defense and his team will be in the game until the end. Frank Martin will soon discover that.

In talking about how Mac inherited a team low on talent, consider that Floyd lost 95% of his scoring and rebounding when Fred, Julio, Meyer and Beechum graduated (1994-1995 I believe). Floyd then goes out the next year and finishes second in the conference and wins the conference tourney with on all new team.

That, my friends, is a great coach.