Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 116

They could hear a French Pin Drop

Four Great Military Comeback Stories

When in England at a fairly large conference, Colin Powell was asked by the Archbishop of Canterbury if our plans for Iraq were just an example of empire building' by George Bush. He answered by saying, 'Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return. You could have heard a pin drop.

Then there was a conference in France where a number of international engineers were taking part, including French and American. During a break one of the French engineers came back into the room saying 'Have you heard the latest dumb stunt Bush has done? He has sent an aircraft carrier to Indonesia to help the tsunami victims. What does he intended to do, bomb them?' A Boeing engineer stood up and replied quietly: 'Our carriers have three hospitals on board that can treat several hundred people; they are nuclear powered and can supply emergency electrical power to shore facilities; they have three cafeterias with the capacity to feed 3,000 people three meals a day, they can produce several thousand gallons of fresh water from sea water each day, and they carry half a dozen helicopters for use in transporting victims and injured to and from their flight deck. We have eleven such ships; how many does France have?' You could have heard a pin drop.

A U.S. Navy Admiral was attending a naval conference that included Admirals from the U.S., English, Canadian, Australian and French Navies. At a cocktail reception, he found himself standing with a large group of Officers that included personnel from most of those countries. Everyone was chatting away in English as they sipped their drinks but a French admiral suddenly complained that, 'whereas Europeans learn many languages, Americans learn only English.' He then asked, 'Why is it that we always have to speak English in these conferences rather than speaking French?' Without hesitating, the American Admiral replied 'Maybe it's because the Brits, Canadians, Aussies and Americans arranged it so you wouldn't have to speak German.' You could have heard a pin drop.

A group of Americans, retired teachers, recently went to France on a tour. Robert Whiting, an elderly gentleman of 83, arrived in Paris by plane. At French Customs, he took a few minutes to locate his passport in his carry on. "You have been to France before, monsieur?" the customs officer asked sarcastically. Mr. Whiting admitted that he had been to France previously. "Then you should know enough to have your passport ready." The American said, "The last time I was here, I didn't have to show it." "Impossible. Americans always have to show your passports on arrival in France!" The American senior gave the Frenchman a long hard look. Then he quietly explained. "Well, when I came ashore at Omaha Beach on D-Day in '44 to help liberate this country, I couldn't find any damn Frenchmen to show it to." You could have heard a pin drop.

Last edited by Wesley; 03-19-2008 at 08:25 AM.
    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 17

Re: They could hear a French Pin Drop

Awesome stories.....Loved it..

Hopefully this doesn't bring out more Bush bashing idiot comments.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Take this with a grain of salt, I have French ancestors. America wouldn't be a country without the French-see also: American Revolution

Walk On
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 479
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

We all have ancestors from different countries and yes that is what made America great. The French that came here were fed up with the OLD Country and wanted a new life.
    Thanks for the inspiring stories. It is refreshing to hear and read positive stuff that happens all the time in regard to the USA and gets reported otherwise.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Heavy View Post
    Take this with a grain of salt, I have French ancestors. America wouldn't be a country without the French-see also: American Revolution

I like salt. I have family members who were hawkeyes and I still make fun of hawks.

Q. Why don't they have fireworks at Euro Disney?
    A. Because every time they shoot them off, the French try to surrender.

It's all in good fun.

Walk On
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Britain and France were at war. During one battle, The French captured an English major. Taking the major to their headquarters, the French general began to question him. The French general asked, "Why do you English officers all wear red coats? Don't you know the red material makes you easier targets for us to shoot at?" In his quiet English way, the major informed the general that the reason English officers wear red coats is so that if they are shot, the blood won't show and the men they are leading won't panic. And that is why from that day to now all French Army officers wear brown pants.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 17

You know the difference between an American tank and a French tank? American tanks have 6 forward gears and 1 reverse, French tanks have 1 forward gear and 6 reverse.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

How many French soldiers does it take to defend Paris?

Nobody knows, it's never been tried.

Starter Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

This is true. The United States also owes a debt of gratitude to the French for the Louisiana Purchase, which gave Napoleon the money to go on to grand and glorious defeat and gave us a rather good land deal.

Attempting to debate with a person who has abandoned reason is like giving medicine to the dead. - Thomas Paine

Addict
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 539
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 20

You know, I love laughing at these stories as much as the next guy. But, this is so true. Really, as much as we bash the French, they made this country what it is today. Without their help in the Revolutionary War, America could easily still be part of Great Britain. Thankfully the French hated the British enough to embarrass them by helping colonists take America. No matter what the French may have become to us today, we really do owe them for their help.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by acs4isu View Post
    This is true. The United States also owes a debt of gratitude to the French for the Louisiana Purchase, which gave Napoleon the money to go on to grand and glorious defeat and gave us a rather good land deal.

That's exactly right! And without that french influence in Louisiana...well, the Waterboy movie wouldn't have been as funny.

And besides, we don't owe france anything, we already paid them back--we gave them Jerry Lewis.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 279
    Given: 183

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan94 View Post
    You know, I love laughing at these stories as much as the next guy. But, this is so true. Really, as much as we bash the French, they made this country what it is today. Without their help in the Revolutionary War, America could easily still be part of Great Britain. Thankfully the French hated the British enough to embarrass them by helping colonists take America. No matter what the French may have become to us today, we really do owe them for their help.
    While the French did help us out, I believe it had more to do with wanting to humiliate their long-time enemies in the British and less to do with the fact they wanted to help an upstart group of people set up a new nation in the New World, no matter how revolutionary their ideas may be. I especially believe this to be the case considering that most of who they were trying to liberate were the same people that embarrassed them in the French-Indian War 20 years or so earlier.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.