Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Attack of the killer Voles.... and foxes

So, I work in a small office building in a fairly rugged, wooden mountainous area, most of the time. While the surroundings are breathtaking, we have some "unique" challenges in our office.

Recently, we were undergoing an unseasonably warm spell, and our little office building lacks air conditioning, and the steam heat never completely turns off, so we opened the front door and windows for circulation.

Pretty early in the day, we had a field vole find its way into our building. Now, voles are not very situationally aware. In fact, they build little "runways" in the ground to guide them to and from the places they want to go. So, this little sucker is running around in circles, lost and panicking, as certain of my office-mates are freaking out and screeching, scaring him half to death. I finally grab a piece of cardboard, and put it in his way, and he, being a vole, follows the straight edge of the cardboard. I kept putting the cardboard beside him, directing him out the door.

So, a couple hours later, we're sitting in the conference room, laughing about the "out of control vole" that was looking to viciously attack the screeching co-workers in some way. We have this garbage can in the conference room, and in comes sauntering this fox, who immediately begins noisily sorting through the garbage, looking for something good to eat.

We're all staring at him, open-mouthed, and the fox looks up at us, apparently in shock. Then it does the Wiley Coyote thing, and runs in place for a moment, before high-tailing out of the conference room.

Gotta love nature, though you don't expect to see it come waltzing into your office. How weird is that?

Anyone else have any good "wildlife in the office" stories?

Pro Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Attack of the killer Voles.... and foxes

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Anyone else have any good "wildlife in the office" stories?
    Not really a wildlife in the office, but wildlife in the house.
    A few years ago my brother and his wife were working in Wisconsin at a place that hires actors and puts on plays for the tourists/locals. The buildings that they and the other actors were supposed to be living in were glorified shacks, and racoons, squirrels, mice and birds were always coming into the building. There was a guy there whom the squirrels seemed to really dislike. Everyday the guy would buy some groceries for himself, and the next morning he would find animal droppings in the boxes. So finally one day he gets smart and buys a tupperware container to keep his food in. The next morning he wakes up to find droppings on the lid of the container. The other actors who were living there never had problems with the animals using their food as a toilet, just this one guy.

Throwing seven different kinds of smoke!

All-Star
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 438
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 34

I worked night watch at the Towers. In the spring, with the doors open in all the dorms, I come through Wallace/Wilson about 2:30 am and a kid says I just saw a ******* rat this big (holds up hands about shoulder width). Coming from the farm I figured this I gotta see. Of course it was a possum. Chased him around the WW commons for about 20 minutes before I could chase him out. Possums don't like stairs much.

Last edited by HILLCYD; 03-19-2008 at 09:46 AM.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 185
    Given: 737

"NAAAAATURE, GOULET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Last edited by The_Architect; 03-19-2008 at 09:11 AM.
    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

BTW, wtf is a vole?

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Ask, and ye shall receive:

Vole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A vole is a small rodent resembling a mouse but with a stouter body, a shorter hairy tail, a slightly rounder head, and smaller ears and eyes. There are approximately 70 species of voles; they are sometimes known as meadow mice or field mice in America. The voles, together with the lemmings and the muskrats, form the subfamily Arvicolinae.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 517
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 34

I one time saw a hawkeye fan using silverware. Seriously.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dosry5 View Post
    I one time saw a hawkeye fan using silverware. Seriously.
    Oh, bullcrap! You did not.

Liar, liar pants on fire!!!

Legend
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

We have musk ox, and moose and on occasion polar bear that saunter around town. One local has a pet reindeer that he loads in the bed of his pickup that travels with him.

Moose like to nap in my yard, even next to my front door. I throw fireworks at them to drive them away.

I do a lot of training runs and take my two dogs with me. Seeing wildlife while running is not uncommon.

A moose chased my father into the house a couple of years ago. While chasing my father, the moose collided into my six foot satellite television dish. The dish was securly bolted to the side of my garage. Nevertheless the force of that 1,200 pound moose colliding into the dish did a real number on it.

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

Starter
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 823
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 19

We had this flying squirrel that kept getting into our house one or twice a year for a while. The first time he got in I had no idea what it was until he launched from the top of my stairs, soared to the bottom and attached himself to a door frame downstairs. Very cool critter and he was always mellow in the house. He'd always show up on the coldest nights. No idea how he got in, even after having an "expert" come out and look. I'd always either capture him in a box or try to shoo him out.

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 35

A couple of years ago we get home from being out. We hit the garage door opener as we pull into the driveway and what do we see but, a nice plump mouse sitting right in the middle of the garage. Well, he high tails it out of there as soon as we notice him. I get out of the car, grab a broom and close the garage door. I saw him run into our front flower bed and what seemed to be a little hole under a rock. So, I grab the broom and start poking around the rock. Finally I find a whole, so I start sticking the broom handle into it hoping to chase him out. I figure it's a futile adventure and decide to stop after a couple of jabs. So, I stop and just stare for a second. I decide to look on the ground and there, standing, literally on his hind feet, no more than 6 inches away from me is the mouse. Looking as intrigued as I was that there could be something in that hole. I have no idea how long he was there or if it was the original mouse. But, I was almost able to catch him he was so mezmarized. I felt just like Elmer Fudd in the Bugs Bunny cartoons, when Fudd is poking around in the hole and Bugs, says, "So, what's up doc?"

Just as a post ******, I hate mice. Can't stand the things. I don't mind them outside except for the fact that if I see them outside, they'll probably get inside soon enough. So, that explains my reaction and wanting to rid myself of the mouse.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    BTW, wtf is a vole?

Well, I could be wrong, but I believe 'a vole' is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clones_jer View Post
    Well, I could be wrong, but I believe 'a vole' is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era
    LMAO!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 444
    Given: 296

Dealt with bats on two different occasions - first, when living in Roberts Hall (surprise, surprise...). Second time was at work. The bat was dive-bombing our heads - it was kind of creepy.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 89
    Given: 67

I couple of months ago I was working in the garage with the overhead door open, and two small wrens flew in and perched on a shelf in the garage at the end opposite the door. I went to shoo them out, thinking this should be pretty simple. Birds have flown in and out of the garage before without any issues.

Nope. I don't know anything about wrens, but they seem to have this instinctive need to fly as high as they can. So, I chased them towards the big overhead door. Instead of flying out of the huge open space, they flew right along the ceiling and above the overhead door, and got trapped in the space above the overhead door. So, I chased them out of there, and they flew back to the shelf on the other end of the garage. This went on for 10 minutes. Both of them were panting so heavily I thought they were about to drop dead. So I let them rest for a bit as I tried to find some cardboard to plug the gap between the raised overhead door and the ceiling.

My cardboard happened to be on the shelf where the wrens were perched, so as I walked towards the shelf, they took off again, and fortunately one of them flew out the door. I chased the other one out from above the door, and the next time it flew towards the door, it flew out as well.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy