Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Big 12 Tourney in KC

Things I liked:

1.Kellys
    2.Food at the Sprint Center including a 1/2 pound hot dog with beef brisket onion rings smotherd in BBQ sauce
    3. Shooting the breeze with Pollard at Kelly's and knocking back some cold ones
    4. Gordon Biersh-Great place to eat with some very good micro brew
    5. Did I mention Kelly's
    6. Chaps worn by the Texas cheerleaders.....mmmmm
    7. Yell leaders for Texas A&M
    8. Ezell raining 3's during the 1st 2 games
    9. Rahshan salute to the fans when he left the game. The ref even gave him a hug on the way off the court. Guy is all class
    10. The mens team running onto the floor after the ladies beat KSU

Things I didn't like

1. Jayhawk fan-They complain about everything. If they say we boo too much they are full of ....today they introduced the support staff and non starters for each team. They booed the TEAM MANAGER for Texas.
    2. Home court advantage for Kansas
    3. Scalpers. It is legal with a license to scalp but they were everywere. One asked me come on Iowa State fun how much for the tickets. I told him $500 and I would rather tear up my tickets than let a KU fan use them.
    4. Cup holders at the Sprint Center. They are on the back of the chairs and right on the floor in the upper deck. You need a shoehorn to get down the isle to get out. An older gentleman tripped on a cup holder and face planted into the next row. He was not doing to well afterward but the guy paid $150 to see KU play so he stayed.
    5. The escalators at the Spint Center. The only way down from the upper deck was to go down an Elevator, stairs or Escalator. Imagine the back up of 8000 people trying to go down 2 escalators
    6. Hang over from to much fun at Kellys
    7. Rock Chalk Jayhawk
    8. seeing people wear hawkeye garb at the game

Last edited by rte4st8; 03-16-2008 at 09:22 PM.
    "where there is pain, let us bring grace. for those afraid, let us be brave. where there is misery, let us bring relief. let us be the remedy" dc*b

http://billclarkproject52.blogspot.com/

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 416
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

Re: Big 12 Tourney in KC

Quote Originally Posted by rte4st8 View Post
    Things I liked:

1.Kellys
    2.Food at the Sprint Center including a 1/2 pound hot dog with beef brisket onion rings smotherd in BBQ sauce
    3. Shooting the breeze with Pollard at Kelly's and knocking back some cold ones
    4. Gordon Biersh-Great place to eat with some very good micro brew
    5. Did I mention Kelly's
    6. Chaps worn by the Texas cheerleaders.....mmmmm
    7. Yell leaders for Texas A&M
    8. Ezell raining 3's during the 1st 2 games
    9. Rahshan salute to the fans when he left the game. The ref even gave him a hug on the way off the court. Guy is all class
    10. The mens team running onto the floor after the ladies beat KSU

Things I didn't like

1. Jayhawk fan-They complain about everything. If they say we boo too much they are full of ....today they introduced the support staff and non starters for each team. They booed the TEAM MANAGER for Texas.
    2. Home court advantage for Kansas
    3. Scalpers. It is legal with a license to scalp but they were everywere. One asked me come on Iowa State fun how much for the tickets. I told him $500 and I would rather tear up my tickets than let a KU fan use them.
    4. Cup holders at the Sprint Center. They are on the back of the chairs and right on the floor in the upper deck. You need a shoehorn to get down the isle to get out. An older gentleman tripped on a cup holder and face planted into the next row. He was not doing to well afterward but the guy paid $150 to see KU play so he stayed.
    5. The escalators at the Spint Center. The only way down from the upper deck was to go down an Elevator, stairs or Escalator. Imagine the back up of 8000 people trying to go down 2 escalators
    6. Hang over from to much fun at Kellys
    7. Rock Chalk Jayhawk
    8. seeing people wear hawkeye garb at the game
    What is the deal with this? I saw at least 5 different people over the weekend Hawkeye crap.

As far as likes, I'll add the KC Live area. Neat place to hang out between sessions.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 725
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 22

the college basketball expierence was awesome

the food at the womens games was not

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Rookie
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 25

Best: The suite at the Sprint Center I was in!
    2 wins by the women
    Kelly's
    The Light and Power District
    Being in KC
    Worst:
    Watching the Cyclones loose from a Suite.
    Only seeing the last ISU women's game.
    Being at Kelly's after two ISU losses in a span of 5 hours.
    Being in the Light & Power District while Kansas wins.
    Coming home!

Walk On
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

"4. Cup holders at the Sprint Center. They are on the back of the chairs and right on the floor in the upper deck. You need a shoehorn to get down the isle to get out. An older gentleman tripped on a cup holder and face planted into the next row. He was not doing to well afterward but the guy paid $150 to see KU play so he stayed."

Those things were nasty in the balcony--definitely a health hazard in a balcony so steep and rows so narrow. I took a friend to the game who is legally blind--luckily we were sitting in the first two seats.

On a food note--next time you're at Kelly's, take a 2 mile drive to the corner of Shawnee and Mission for some of the best barbecue available at Oklahoma Joe's--just don't go during lunch hour or you'll wait in line up to 30 minutes. Don't be deterred by the fact that it's combined with a gas station.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone08 View Post
    What is the deal with this? I saw at least 5 different people over the weekend Hawkeye crap.
    Where would you rather be? Indianapolis and the little 11? Or KC and the Big 12?

They're hawk fans. They may be dumb, but they're note (all) stupid.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 390
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 289

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Where would you rather be? Indianapolis and the little 11? Or KC and the Big 12?

They're hawk fans. They may be dumb, but they're note (all) stupid.

quoting cybobby........i always cheer for the team that is playing the squawk-I's...

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

Of course Kelly's, we stayed about 5 blocks from there
    Sprint Center area, very nice and still a work in progress
    QuickTrip inside of Sprint Center. $7-$9 for some hot sandwich at the concessions or $3.49 for a cold sandwich, wish I had found that place the first day!
    Colorado cheer leaders. We ranked the cheer squads for the teams and went 1.CU 2. T A&M 3. either OSU or Texas.

Dislikes:
    High concession prices, expected though
    KU fans, you swear they never committed a foul the whole tourney as much as they boo
    A&M yell leaders, we had no idea what they were doing. Was a combo of a hog call and the hokie pokie from what we could tell
    Sprint Center entrance, very slow sometimes because they ran the metal detectors on everyone that came in and between games there were no enter/exit only doors so you were fighting people traffic if you came in late.

When was Pollard at Kelly's? We were there every night from Thursday on but was after the games were over. Also, the scalping was not too bad I thought. We actually tried to sell our tickets to Friday's 2nd session but couldn't get what we wanted. Tried for $150 a ticket which we found out later the people behind us were able to sell theirs for that. Best offer we got was right after the game from a scalper (not a fan) was $550 for all 4 seats and we kicked ourselves later for not taking it as the best we got later was either $100 a ticket or $500 for all 4. Got some interesting reactions from people when we told them what we wanted. We just said if no one wants to pay us that it's worth it to use to just use the tickets so we didn't care if they thought it was too much. Not like we were desperate to sell.

Overall a great weekend, still feeling the after effects from the late night. This event needs to stay in KC every year!

Go Cubs Go!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by larry View Post
    "

On a food note--next time you're at Kelly's, take a 2 mile drive to the corner of Shawnee and Mission for some of the best barbecue available at Oklahoma Joe's--just don't go during lunch hour or you'll wait in line up to 30 minutes. Don't be deterred by the fact that it's combined with a gas station.
    I hear that is a good place. We went to Gates on 32nd and Main which is also a great place for BBQ.

Go Cubs Go!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 50

Mad props to the guy that was mocking the A&M yell leaders on the video board. That was friggin hilarious.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Hey, any of you the Cyclone Alley central committee folks that sat about 7 or so rows behind us in section 231? I've got a picture I took of you after one of you took our picture. I actually used it on my Friday blog post BTW.

Go Cubs Go!

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I was in section 232. Sat next to KU and KSU fans the whole time.

After the womens game on Thursday night against A&M the men played A&M...so there was a mad rush from one place to the other. When we got to the sprint center 2 people were wanding people and it was really slow. So I told what looked to be a supervisor that ou might want to get some help there are many people behind me wanting to come in and I was being NICE about it. he proceded to make me empty my pockets and give me an upper endoscopy to enter the Sprint Center.

Pollard was at Kellys Wednesday night.

"where there is pain, let us bring grace. for those afraid, let us be brave. where there is misery, let us bring relief. let us be the remedy" dc*b

http://billclarkproject52.blogspot.com/

Rookie
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 364
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I got 2 mugs from Kelly's, one each night. Both nights, by the end of the night, they were lost.... I guess good times were had by all. I loved those mugs! Maybe I can write them and send a check and get a replacement.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 149
    Given: 332

Is it back to OKC next year?

Prospect
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 277
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by larry View Post
    "4. Cup holders at the Sprint Center. They are on the back of the chairs and right on the floor in the upper deck. You need a shoehorn to get down the isle to get out. An older gentleman tripped on a cup holder and face planted into the next row. He was not doing to well afterward but the guy paid $150 to see KU play so he stayed."

Those things were nasty in the balcony--definitely a health hazard in a balcony so steep and rows so narrow. I took a friend to the game who is legally blind--luckily we were sitting in the first two seats.

I'll second the Oklahoma Joe's. Boulevard Wheat on tap, great BBQ, and go for the seasoned fries too.