Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Division I Hockey

Went to my first Division I hockey game tonight, ever. I thoroughly enjoyed Cyclone Hockey when I lived in Ames; however I found myself comparing the games tonight. University of Denver Hockey was awesome, rich history and alumni support (I was there with one of the donors). Although they have one of the most celebrated collegiate hockey teams in the nation, I thought that our Cyclone fans were infinitely better by comparison.

I remember wondering why ISU didn't make Hockey a "varsity" sport when I was at ISU. Still do.........

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Re: Division I Hockey

$$$$$$$$$$$

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Did they build a new hockey/ice arena for the team closer to Towers or are they still playing in that "Morton" building south of Towers still?

Is it $$$ or giving up beer sales that keeps the team from Div. I??

Starter
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 136
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 2

Going to hockey games at UW-Madison is a great time!

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cybone View Post
    Went to my first Division I hockey game tonight, ever. I thoroughly enjoyed Cyclone Hockey when I lived in Ames; however I found myself comparing the games tonight. University of Denver Hockey was awesome, rich history and alumni support (I was there with one of the donors). Although they have one of the most celebrated collegiate hockey teams in the nation, I thought that our Cyclone fans were infinitely better by comparison.

I remember wondering why ISU didn't make Hockey a "varsity" sport when I was at ISU. Still do.........
    Keep in mind you were at a game at the University of Denver....not the U of M, not Wisconsin, not North Dakota...even though Denver is in the same league...its a different league. No way no how ISU could compete in hockey at the Division I WCHA level. Sorry but anyone with any true knowledge of the game knows this.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cybone View Post

Ive been to the Magnuss Arena in Denver, although it is a nice facility......It is no where near Marriucci Arena, The Kohl Center, or maybe the Best of them all The Ralph Englestad Arena.....

UND plays in the Ralph a 125 million dollar donated facility from a fromer goalie, that made in big in the early days of Vegas...

Come to Grand Forks someday my Friend, I will treat you to a Real Division 1 College Hockey experience....

Official Website for the Ralph Engelstad Arena - University of North Dakota - Home of the Fighting Sioux - Grand Forks, North Dakota - www.theRalph.com

Last edited by coachdags; 03-16-2008 at 12:54 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

I've only seen The Ralph from the outside, but it looks AWESOME. There's some real hockey being played up there.

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 797
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clonesvb View Post
    Keep in mind you were at a game at the University of Denver....not the U of M, not Wisconsin, not North Dakota...even though Denver is in the same league...its a different league. No way no how ISU could compete in hockey at the Division I WCHA level. Sorry but anyone with any true knowledge of the game knows this.
    Do you mean our club team? I'm not sure how you can say this definitively for a varsity team that doesn't exist.

Yeah well, ya know, that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.

Starter
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 675
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonekj View Post
    Do you mean our club team? I'm not sure how you can say this definitively for a varsity team that doesn't exist.
    I'm sure he meant our club, but i'll add this. There's no way ISU could compete with UND, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Denver, Boston University, Michigan, etc. without the type of facilities that each of these programs have. And there's simply no money for hockey facilities. So there's no way, even if ISU stepped up to D1, that they'd be competitive. Look at the debacle at Nebraska-Omaha in hockey right now. I don't want that happening at ISU.

Walk On
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I would be thrilled if the Cyclones ever went D1 with hockey. There is a huge talent pool of high school players in Minnesota, and multiple USHL franchises (Waterloo, Des Moines, Sioux City, etc..) and NAHL franchises (Southern Minnesota Express, North Iowa Outlaws) in close proximity to Ames. That being said, I think ISU could eventually compete for some big-time talent.

As mentioned in another post, facilities would need a drastic upgrade to even compete with the worst Division 1 facilities in the area. Finding the right conference could be an issue as well, as the WCHA is not to keen on expansion right now (Bemidji State University has been trying to get in). The biggest problem would obviously be funding and Title 9 issues. Adding women's hockey could help alleviate the Title 9 issues, but you have to find a way to pay for the programs.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonekj View Post
    I doubt that we could compete with them even if we had a D1 team. I've watched enough college hockey to know that those successful programs are successful for a reason. In-state talent and tradition being the main reasons. Seriously it would be sooo absolutely counter-productive for us to have a D1 hockey program. But at Iowa State we would have to recruit Minnesota for talent....and we'd easily be the Minnesota kids seventh choice. ---- Minnesota, St. Cloud State, North Dakota, Wisconsin, MSU-Mankato, Minnesota-Duluth all would have their pick of the good kids over ISU.

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 797
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It's true youth hockey is more regional than most collegiate sports. Our staff has done well recruiting out of state talent for the club team-- would it be impossible for them to recruit D1 talent out of state? Of course the facilities, funding, and gender equity issues would all be BIG hurdles.

Also, if we were afraid of competing in a sport we had disadvantages in, I doubt ISU would field a team in ANY sport. Each of our teams has issues to overcome in order to be competitive.

Yeah well, ya know, that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.