Thread: Mountain Biking

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Mountain Biking

Okay, I'll admit. I'm in my mid-40s and FINALLY got out on my daughter's Mountain Bike this morning and did some real, honest to goodness mountain biking. I have never ridden a mountain bike in the actual mountains, despite having lived on the side of one for over 1.5 years, now.

First of all, I thought 21 gears was excessive, in a bicycle. Key word, there, is "thought" and "was". Honestly, 21 isn't enough. I used them all. But I NEVER got off the bike, the entire 2 hours I was out. There were times I thought I might need to, because 1-1 was not going to cut it, but I never got off and pushed. Or fell, for that matter.

But now that I've done it, I need a mountain bike of my own. I know where there's a used one that's completely trashed, and think I may rebuild it from the frame up, to include shooting some paint on it to make it unique.

But there is a question I have for the collective CF mind: What is tougher, going up, or coming down? The first mountain I climbed, I would've sworn going ups was tougher, but coming back down sucked just as hard.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Re: Mountain Biking

Okay, I'll admit. I'm in my mid-40s and FINALLY got out on my daughter's Mountain Bike this morning
    Did you make sure to pack your lunch in the little basket and make sure the streamers on the handle bars weren't tangled?

It's Bushbama!

2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

I'm considering mountain biking either the Canol Road in the Yukon or a portion of the Great Divide Route. For those that aren't familiar with the Great Divide Route it runs from Banf Canada to the Mexican border crossing the Continental Divide numerous times.

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    But there is a question I have for the collective CF mind: What is tougher, going up, or coming down? The first mountain I climbed, I would've sworn going ups was tougher, but coming back down sucked just as hard.
    Coming down is harder. Going up is hard on your lungs. The chances of crashing and burning increases going down. If you crash and burn it is hard on more than just your lungs.

"If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

Pro
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 386
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Okay I've never been mountain biking but I just reminds me of worst experience with a bike. My friends and I went out for a ride and the last little under half mile until we got back to my friends we decided to race. Well we go tearing off and racing up and down the little bumps and build up to full speed about 5 blocks from home, I'm in second right behind one of my friend and at the bottom of one of the little hills we fly by a gravel alley, kick up a rock which gets stuck in my front brake, I fly over the handle bars, nail the ground on my side/back, bike decides to join me but on top, hits me on head. It tore up my skin from below the elbows up to my shoulders as well as some on my thighs. In terms of pain I'd rank it below breaking four bones in my foot but above the concussion I got.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cmoneyr View Post
    Did you make sure to pack your lunch in the little basket and make sure the streamers on the handle bars weren't tangled?
    No, but I made sure my Barbie was securely strapped in. I didn't want her to go flying out and get hurt...

Dang, I love your irrepressible humor....

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    Coming down is harder. Going up is hard on your lungs. The chances of crashing and burning increases going down. If you crash and burn it is hard on more than just your lungs.
    I was out after about a week of rainy weather/heavy winds, and the wormage on the trail was incredible: I had to wash to bike with a pressure washer and then relube the chain, it was so flippin' bad.

I could just see getting a multiple fracture, or even dead, because I slipped on a carpet of drowned worms and pine needles...

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    No, but I made sure my Barbie was securely strapped in. I didn't want her to go flying out and get hurt...
    Last summer while touring the state of Alaska I found a baby doll in the ditch. I bungied "ditch baby" to my mountain bike and we were inseparable from that point.