Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 183

Talk about the Mens BB program

The last few days there has been a lot of talk on where the mens basketball program is going by EXPERTS. I know they dont throw coaches under the bus, but everyone of them has said how McD is a great coach who just needs to get the pieces in place. They say he is the guy that is going to get it done at ISU. It may not look like it but things are getting better. They also talk about the class of players coming in and some good JUCOs he is after and they are interested in ISU as well. This is not me talking or another fan but EXPERTS on the sport of college basketball.

Players leaving. Every year players leave prgrams it happens, for one reason or another. Will it happen to ISU this year I hope not, I dont think it will, but as a ISU fan I can see the worry by some due to the last few years. I am no expert but most players that do transfer are not NBA calaber players, most want to go and get more playing time. Yes McD is hard on his guys at times but most winning coach in the NCAA are. Why would a player with a shot at the NBA leave? So he can sit out a year? Most of these players are Big Man on Campus, have a lot of friends, and have no reason to leave. Some of them have attended prep school after HS so are a year older than others in their class. They get tierd school at some point. Why put off making millions another year? I say this and the whole team will leave.

I think McD's UNI teams that went to the tourny were close to if not the highest scoring teams in the MVC.

Why do posters that only post 10 times feel the need to come and stir the pot right away? Do they think people really believe the stuff they post? There are posters here that we trust, believe, and value their opinions, most of them have a lot of posts have have earned those things.

Last edited by kingcy; 03-15-2008 at 12:32 AM.
    The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Addict
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 100

Re: Talk about the Mens BB program

I just think it's too early for someone to say McD's not a good coach or that we'll get worse. That's what upsets me the most.

Then on top of that I don't think they realize (if they got their way) what would happen if McD was fired. He's done a great job of keeping the program afloat considering our ugly past occurences.

Fanatic #25

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 881
    Given: 619

Good shooting can cure lots of evils.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

It is tough when you aren't shooting well. The problem with this year's team is that they weren't even streaky... They just never really shot well. You can't coach shooting... It just happens or it doesn't. You have to assume it will be better next year.

Prospect
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Watch GMAC coach the sidelines
    Take the time to understand what the gameplan is that he has put on the floor, every game. Go back and review what effect his half time adjustments had. Review how some adjustments he saved for the 2nd half.
    See clearly what type of players he is bringing, and who he has lost out on.
    ISU simply could not shoot the basketball the last 2 years. We could not shoot, we could not penetrate, few could create their own shot
    When you have 1 or sometimes 2 scorers on the floor, regardless of how good they are, 5 defenders can stop you.
    Review how those who were capable of playing defense improved and played good year end defense.
    Our best athlete with experience was hurt all year. Don't even go down the path of taylor, lucca, etc.
    Leave it alone and let it evolve.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240

First off, I could care less what somebody's post count is. There are a lot of posters that post extremely rarely that I think offer great stuff whenever they do post. Who cares what the post count is.

Frankly there are a lot of ALL CAPS experts on this board on both sides, the ones that have no doubts that McDermott will be our coach for the next 20 years and those that think our program isn't going in the right direction.

99.9% of people want to give McDermott several more years to get thing righted. He deserves that much, and if his previous record indicates anything it's that after a few years things start clicking for him. However he's no sure thing yet either way, and there is nothing wrong in saying that IMO. As fans of the Cyclones we all want him to have great success. I am a huge fan of his personally, I think he's a good man and I would not be happier to see him captain the ship for the next 25 years.

Some people are just going to have to accept the fact that we're going to have to agree to disagree on certain things. These ad hominem posts are getting really old.

Last edited by BryceC; 03-15-2008 at 08:54 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree with BryceC, These posts about the direction of the men's basketball program are growing very old. We all know the situation, we all hope things get turned around, and most of us (myself included) thind Mac will be able to do it. I think we are just running this topic in the ground.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    First off, I could care less what somebody's post count is. There are a lot of posters that post extremely rarely that I think offer great stuff whenever they do post. Who cares what the post count is.

Frankly there are a lot of ALL CAPS experts on this board on both sides, the ones that have no doubts that McDermott will be our coach for the next 20 years and those that think our program isn't going in the right direction.

99.9% of people want to give McDermott several more years to get thing righted. He deserves that much, and if his previous record indicates anything it's that after a few years things start clicking for him. However he's no sure thing yet either way, and there is nothing wrong in saying that IMO. As fans of the Cyclones we all want him to have great success. I am a huge fan of his personally, I think he's a good man and I would not be happier to see him captain the ship for the next 25 years.

Some people are just going to have to accept the fact that we're going to have to agree to disagree on certain things. These ad hominem posts are getting really old.
    Ditto that...nice post!

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 881
    Given: 758

Look at our players...healthy players and say to yourself "Goswh we should have won more games."

Macs coaching doesn't concern me in the least. IF he gets players we'll be fine. We'll see if he can.

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Hopefully this will be the last time I have to say this (ha,ha,) two years from now will know alot more about the state of this basketball program, but as of right now I'm feeling good about it and can't wait for the Cap City League and next fall!!!

"The Constituiton...is a mere thing of wax in the hands of the judiciary, which they may twist and shape into any form they please."- - -Thomas Jefferson, Sept. 6, 1819.

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The pieces were in place last summer, but by the time the season started that bright smile of ours was missing a few teeth.You take away some nagging injuries and put Brister and Lucca out on the floor this season and we'd have been a markedly better team.

Wes was our only rally shooter last season and he was slowed by injuries all year. We didn't have a consistent second streak scorer.

I realize things aren't where we want them to be yet, but look at the development of Craig and Diante. DG was solid down the stretch. Craig hit a massive slump, but he looked great against KSU and aTm. Mac is making a difference.

All-Star
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 35

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneryan View Post
    I agree with BryceC, These posts about the direction of the men's basketball program are growing very old. We all know the situation, we all hope things get turned around, and most of us (myself included) thind Mac will be able to do it. I think we are just running this topic in the ground.
    I couldn't agree more. Plus the fact that we probably couldn't remove him if we wanted to. The cash reserve has been drained. Fully expected and anticipated, but drained nonetheless. We can't afford to fire him and eat the contract. Whether you like it or not, GMac is our coach for the next several years and that's a good thing IMO.

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 4

sorry....I love being the eternal optimist :)

Speechless
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 593
    Given: 364

I agree with BryceC on all points.

The only thing I have to add is, to those that beat the dead horse both sides of any issue - it simply gets old.

Regardless, our goals and hopes are the same - for the Cyclones to win.

Pro Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Was watching Memphis beat up on Tulsa. The team has 8 guys that can make shots and no Tag was not one of them. That is what we are missing. Regardless of how good your defense is, you need to score 70 - 80 points a game to win in most cases.

Our good teams of the past had several guys that could shoot.