Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 4

Brett vs. Seneca

well now that Bret Meyer has made himself a staple here at ISU I think its time for people to start makin some arguements vs. our other great ISU QB Seneca "Tech aint got nothin on me" Wallace. I will always say that Seneca was better just becuase hes done things that made ISU a fball contender and things Ive never seen before.

Alright boys make your predictions.

Rookie
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 326
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Brett vs. Seneca

Brett's got 2 more years to take us where we haven't been, lets see what he does and then compare. You cant really ever compare players until they both have completed careers. Brett's first 2 years have set him up to be someone special, now lets hope everything falls in place, and we are in KC - Dec 2nd.

Walk On Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

i still think sage is the best...he did the most with the least, and he was the one that put iowa state on the map....

the lonely cyclone in husker country

Recruit
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 249
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I completely agree with the last post about Sage the Rage!!!

Go State!!!

Rookie
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 504
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

sage had plenty ennis haywood 1000 yard rusher regular season jj moses chris anthony wasnt bad craig campbell was decent Lane had some quality PT sage had a great team. deffense was sweet hayward billups carstens deronde atif austin marc timmons jamarcuz power breon ansley that team had it all an o line i cant see how you say sage did the most with less seneca had no one really every play he made he made himself he just couldnt carry the team on his shoulders one guy carrying 21 others(including defense) is a tough task right now brett has the makings of agood team tall sure handed recievers just needsa running game but he cant make nearly the same plays that seneca could seneca is the man is this senario by far just my opinion

dan k

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

i'm sorry, i hate to be a jerk...but the next time you post, will you please speak in english. i almost had an stroke trying to read what you just wrote...

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Yeah, I would definitly argue that Sage had the best offensive line by far as opposed to Seneca and Bret. He was only sacked 6 times his senior year. Plus, Ennis was a far superior rusher than we've had since his graduation.

I think the next two years will be very big as far as the Seneca/Meyer comparison goes. Seneca played Oklahoma and Texas his two years that he was here. Also, Seneca was a Junior when he took the reigns, and Meyer is just entering that year in his career.

Meyer does have the capability to do some things that Seneca was never able to do: win more than 7 games, and win a bowl game which he already has. This I think will be a defining year for him. He has been kind of a "caretaker" of the offense the last two years, with an excellent defense to support him. He needs to step up this year and be a real game-changer. All of this assumes the coaching staff will allow him to do so as well.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,473
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 12

Meyer has a long way to go before he is in the same league as Seneca. Right now it isn't even remotely a contest. Sage did a fantastic job running the team his senior year, but he too wasn't as good as Seneca. I've said before if Seneca would have had a better line, let alone RB, we would have put up 50 pts/game.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

When all is said and done I think you will look at BM as a solid quarterback that gave ISU some good years. Just my opinion at this point. Seneca on the other hand was a game-changer, the guy was flat out fantastic and could win games on his own. I don't know that BM has that yet. The great thing for ISU is that BM still has a lot of time to get himself to that next level.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

LOL Jordan.....

I like Bret and he does have 2 more years to put up great numbers and hopefully lead us to a lot of victories, but Seneca Wallace is by far the best QB we've ever had, and probably will have. He could just kill you with his feet (just ask Texas Tech) and kill you with his amazing across-the-body-right-on-the-money throws (pass to Whitver in 2002 Iowa game). Bret is good but by no means is a running threat like Seneca was. He also doesn't have Seneca's ability to get away from pressure. Like I said he has 2 more years to prove me wrong. I really hope he does!!!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145
    Given: 116

Re: Brett vs. Seneca vs. George

They both still have a ways to go to catch George Amundson from South Dakota, who was 1972 Big Eight Player of the Year, set school rushing record in in 1971 at 1370 yards at running back (when IDSU had injuries to their running backs), was 1972 All American QB, and was drafted first round by Houston Oilers. George also was first high school person to throw the discus over 200 ft at 211 ft and shot putted 62 ft. And he was third in state high jump and high school student body president and very good baseball player. Freshman were not allowed to play back then. ISU went to their first bowl games when therer were not that many bowls (like the Shreveport Bowl). I believe George's daughter just graduated in '06 from ISU.

Dean Carlson, Sage, Seneca, Brett, George. Any other ISU qbs to add to a poll for best all time ISU qb?

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

i'll agree seneca was the best we've ever had, SO FAR, but meyer is looking to rewrite alot of the isu record books over his 4 years. seneca was great, but he thought he had to be too great at times (and lets be honest he did) and that got him into trouble. he was definitely the greatest athlete we've had in isu football but i think when its all said and done meyer will hopefully take isu football to that next teir we've all been hoping for for so long. if seneca had any offensive line, these receivers, or our defense last year, things would be different, but its different times different years.

Starter Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

let not our memories forget David Archer of the 80's...had a couple of sterling years with the Falcons prior to the abomination "Prime-Time" arriving on the scene.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 17

I absolutely loved watching Seneca play QB and also being talked about during the Superbowl this year. I think I saw the Texas Tech famous 250 yd touchdown run 2 times last season. I think Meyer is a great QB also and will continue gaining momentum. I think if Meyer has an awesome Junior yr and comes to his Sr yr and people use the Heisman word, then we will see how he compares with Seneca. About the only negative on Seneca I could see (from the outside) was that he caved to all the pressure being put on him by the media. We started the year 5-1 and finished the last half 1-5 partly because we had a gruseome last half of the season. I remember watching the feature MTV did following him that season and how he had some emotional breakdowns going into the Oklahoma game and after the Texas game. I don't know what kind of slant MTV added to the story line but that was about the only flaw I could see on him. and THIS IS IN NO WAY a slam on him because not many 18-21 yr olds can handle that pressure(I know I never would have). I think Meyer will break a lot of the records because he will be a 4 yr starter (hopefully), but watching him his senior year when a lot more of the media attention will be on him (again hopefully) and see how he handles that pressure will be, to me anyway, the factor to seperate the two.

But I am getting ahead of myself definitely, cause I am looking forward to watching his Jr yr sitting in JTS with all the other rabid Clone fans. I am also watching with much anticipation for Seneca to get his next big break in the NFL and become a big factor, whether it be QB or receiver so we can hear his name more often and the great alma mater that he came from.

GO CYCLONES :) :D ;D

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

in the same vein....i'm also a huge dolphin fan. it kinda made me sick to watch sage walk into a game, throw an 81 yard TD pass, and then get benched the next series because gus frerotte got out of his wheelchair long enough to blow the game.....errrr