Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Is it just me?

When we transitioned from the Big 8 to the Big 12 I was emotionally upset. As the years have passed I remain, to an extent, with a feeling of loyalty to the old Big 8 teams over the 4 TEXAS teams.

While sitting (and standing) at the ISU vs K. St. women's game yesterday I struck up a conversation with a couple from Oklahoma. They had just seen their women lose to the 12th seeded Buffs the day before. These people had to be the nicest fans I had ever met. While we were talking about all kinds of things the issue of the Big 8 came up. These new friends seemed more adamant about the TEXAS teams then I am. The whole Oklahoma contingent in my area seemed to feel the same way.

I know letting these 4 teams into OUR conference makes perfect sense financially , but does anyone on here feel the same way as me (and lots of other schools)? It seems there was more of a bond with the Big 8 teams.

I will always have rivalry tendencies with Nebraska (fb) and Kansas (bb), but will always cheer for the Big 8 teams over the Big 12 teams.

All-Star
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 710
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Is it just me?

While there might be a certain sense of loyalty, the addition of the other schools has made our conference immensely tougher. Since the Big 12 formed, I have thought that it was the toughest conference in the nation, in almost every year in football and basketball. At any rate, tougher than the Big 10!

You can't polish a turd.

Swarm & Punish
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 391
    Given: 698

Yeah.. i hear ya.

I am:

1. A Big12 fan (playing non-conf games) then:
    2. A big North fan (playing conf games) then:
    3. A big 8 fan (when South teams play conf game).

So really the only time I root for a TX team is when they are playing another TX team or a non-conference team.

-keep.

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Granted I was too young to recall most of the Big 8 era, I believe the Big 8 has more of a family feel and the entrance of the Texas schools introduced the "rotten egg" or "black sheep," so to speak. I root for the Texas schools come bowl games and NCAA tourn. hoops, and I like what they've brought to the conference. I just feel a better connection with the original 8.

~Go Cyclones!
    ~Only you can make it happen.
    ~Never give up!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 813
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 47

Every time I've had the same conversation with other fans, all old Big 8 school fans have felt the same way. I miss for example playing Oklahoma twice a year in basketball. Whereas all the basketball games against TX schools don't mean much.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 22

Big 8 rocks baby! I miss it.

Pro
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 852
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 45

How about how angry I get when I read something from a message board for one of the Texas teams saying that Iowa State should be dropped from the Big Twelve! Now that really gets my blood boiling!!!

"Politics: “Poli” a Latin word meaning “many”; and "tics" meaning “bloodsucking creatures”." ~Robin Williams

Pro
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 718
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 24

It is not surprising OU fans have even a stronger reaction to the Texas schools in the Big 12 than the current North division schools since they hate each anyway.

I agree that I still prefer OU and OSU over any of the new Texas schools due to their old affiliation with the Big 8.

But we should not lose sight of the fact that while it appears the Texas schools were lucky to get added to the Big 8, ISU is one of the lucky ones. Had the Big 8 and SWC both imploded, or if the Big 12 ever implodes, it is possible that ISU will be a school left scrambling just like TCU or Houston.

The Big 12 conference $$ have been very good for us. Could be better with equal sharing of TV revenue that JP is pushing, but still, our conference has done pretty well.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 573
    Given: 396

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine68 View Post
    How about how angry I get when I read something from a message board for one of the Texas teams saying that Iowa State should be dropped from the Big Twelve! Now that really gets my blood boiling!!!

I think it's only really aTm fans pushing for that one, but really, who in the conference respects them anyway?

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The entire state of Texas could secede from the Union for all I care.... these schools not only make the conference he!!ishly tough in football and basketball, but in the non-revenue sports as well... look at swimming, soccer, baseball, track&field, those texas schools dominate typically, with kNU sometimes hangin' with those schools in the non-revenues....

I will say this though, Texas fans were just as friendly to me while I was at the '06 football game in Austin as any big8 school fans have been... of course it's probably hard to be mean to fans from a school that's campus is 1500 miles away and your team is pulverizing...

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Pro
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 250
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 1

Dedrick willoughby= manimal

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105

I actually like the Big 12. I just wish we played more conference basketball games.

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWarning View Post
    It is not surprising OU fans have even a stronger reaction to the Texas schools in the Big 12 than the current North division schools since they hate each anyway.

I agree that I still prefer OU and OSU over any of the new Texas schools due to their old affiliation with the Big 8.

But we should not lose sight of the fact that while it appears the Texas schools were lucky to get added to the Big 8, ISU is one of the lucky ones. Had the Big 8 and SWC both imploded, or if the Big 12 ever implodes, it is possible that ISU will be a school left scrambling just like TCU or Houston.

The Big 12 conference $$ have been very good for us. Could be better with equal sharing of TV revenue that JP is pushing, but still, our conference has done pretty well.
    I hear the concern about ISU being a ship w/o a conference if the Big 12 imploded. But i don't think there's a worry here...

If the B12 did implode (say one team jumped to the B10), there would be 10 other schools in the same predicament as us. Schools like KU, K-State, Oklahoma, Nebraska. These schools are going to want their own conference, they're not about ready to join the MVC or Big West, and ISU would be part of that group.

Worst case is that we'd be with 7 or 8 other major state schools in need of a conference. Whatever that conference would turn out to be, it'd be a major conference.

I like the B12, in any event. Competitition and variety are much better, and you get to see more teams. 11 teams in basketball, instead of the old 7 teams.

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I understand why the change was made, but in a perfect world without TV and money considerations, I would rather be in the Big 8. It would be nice to be able to play everyone in football again, and also to be able to play everybody in basketball home and away. Then we could go to Kansas City EVERY YEAR for the Big 8 tournament.

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Big 12 is a power conference. Nothing is going to change. The bad feelings are like the South vs. North after the civil war. Everyone loves to hate the state of Texas and they feel that they are better than everyone else. I wouldn't worry about the state of the Big 12.

"If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."