Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Printing Help!

  1. #1
    Legend
    Points: 385,350, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,563
    Points
    385,350
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 257

    Printing Help!

    We have a folder of documents that are in word format. There are at least 50 of them and they are each individual chapters of a manual we created. We plan on consolidating them at some point down the road but for right now we keep them this way for editing.

    My question is: How can we print each of these files out at once and have them print in order. We have tried to select a few at a time by holding ctrl and selecting each in order and then hitting print, but when they are in the queue they print out will nilly. Any help would be most appreciated.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 467,569, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,588
    Points
    467,569
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 446
    Given: 306

    Re: Printing Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    We have a folder of documents that are in word format. There are at least 50 of them and they are each individual chapters of a manual we created. We plan on consolidating them at some point down the road but for right now we keep them this way for editing.

    My question is: How can we print each of these files out at once and have them print in order. We have tried to select a few at a time by holding ctrl and selecting each in order and then hitting print, but when they are in the queue they print out will nilly. Any help would be most appreciated.
    If you're doing either the sift or ctrl method, then you have to right-click/print on the very first file. You can't select somewhere in the middle, as that is where the computer will start. I learned this the hard way when I was printing out manuals.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 385,350, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,563
    Points
    385,350
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 257

    Re: Printing Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    If you're doing either the sift or ctrl method, then you have to right-click/print on the very first file. You can't select somewhere in the middle, as that is where the computer will start. I learned this the hard way when I was printing out manuals.

    I did. I picked the very first file. As soon as the print jobs hit the queue it unorders them.



  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 197,653, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jbhtexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    10,660
    Points
    197,653
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 67

    Re: Printing Help!

    You could write a VBA routine to do it...

    Sub test1()
    Dim doc1 As Word.Document

    fname = "\docfolder\chapter1.doc"
    Set doc1 = Documents.Open(fname) 'more options available
    doc1.PrintOut 'more options available
    doc1.Close

    fname = "\docfolder\chapter2.doc"
    Set doc1 = Documents.Open(fname) 'more options available
    doc1.PrintOut 'more options available
    doc1.Close

    '...repeat for remaining chapters

    End Sub


    The Open and PrintOut methods take a number of options that you may or may not need...

    You could make it fancy by putting the filenames in an array, and then using a Do loop...


    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

    Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 73,830, Level: 84
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,020
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycopath25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    (307)
    Posts
    5,107
    Points
    73,830
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 2

    Re: Printing Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    We have a folder of documents that are in word format. There are at least 50 of them and they are each individual chapters of a manual we created. We plan on consolidating them at some point down the road but for right now we keep them this way for editing.

    My question is: How can we print each of these files out at once and have them print in order. We have tried to select a few at a time by holding ctrl and selecting each in order and then hitting print, but when they are in the queue they print out will nilly. Any help would be most appreciated.

    Get some poor sap to sit at the computer and print them off individually!



  6. #6
    Burgermeister!
    Points: 356,545, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    TykeClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    22,633
    Points
    356,545
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 311

    Re: Printing Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by cycopath25 View Post
    Get some poor sap to sit at the computer and print them off individually!
    That's what interns are for



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 33,654, Level: 56
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 596
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,735
    Points
    33,654
    Level
    56
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Printing Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by TykeClone View Post
    That's what interns are for
    I was gonna say...I've done this before. At least I got to sit in the air conditioned building instead of being the interns who had to clean the old warehouse that was hotter than any sauna I've ever been in.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 76,794, Level: 86
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Khorasan
    Posts
    5,111
    Points
    76,794
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Printing Help!

    We currently use an Access-based system to print our books. It's called MEMS, but is propreitary as heck. I doubt anyone even sells it.


    I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 385,350, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,563
    Points
    385,350
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 257

    Re: Printing Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    You could write a VBA routine to do it...

    Sub test1()
    Dim doc1 As Word.Document

    fname = "\docfolder\chapter1.doc"
    Set doc1 = Documents.Open(fname) 'more options available
    doc1.PrintOut 'more options available
    doc1.Close

    fname = "\docfolder\chapter2.doc"
    Set doc1 = Documents.Open(fname) 'more options available
    doc1.PrintOut 'more options available
    doc1.Close

    '...repeat for remaining chapters

    End Sub

    The Open and PrintOut methods take a number of options that you may or may not need...

    You could make it fancy by putting the filenames in an array, and then using a Do loop...
    I may very well have to do this. It appears there are a ton of apps for sale that do all of this, but we are looking for something free. =) Ill give this ****** a shot. Thank you all for your help!



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 197,653, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jbhtexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    10,660
    Points
    197,653
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 67

    Re: Printing Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    I may very well have to do this. It appears there are a ton of apps for sale that do all of this, but we are looking for something free. =) Ill give this ****** a shot. Thank you all for your help!
    A slight change to the program...if you want that subroutine to be visible from Tools->Macro->Macros... dialog box, I think you have to declare it as public, i.e.

    Public Sub test1()

    If you don't normally use macros, you may also have to change the security settings in Word to "Medium" or "Low" to run the routine...


    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

    Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM