Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 152

Cyclone kicker would like a piece of the action

DMR Link

Ames, Ia. - Bret Culbertson is in a slump, too.

The Iowa State football team for which he kicks has lost three straight Big 12 Conference games heading into Saturday's 2:30 p.m. home contest against Texas Tech - but there's not a lot he can do about it.

The last time Culbertson even ran onto the field for a field goal, other than holder Austin Flynn's failed fake against Nebraska, was against ...

"Uhhh ... Iowa?" he responded in an unsure manner. "I think it was against Iowa, but I don't know for sure."

Culbertson's last try came 17 quarters and 33 days ago in Iowa City. It was so long ago that the Cyclones were still unbeaten.

"I guess you can say I'm in a slump," he said, laughing as much as his usually business-like personality allows. "There's nothing I can do about it."

Culbertson kicked a 39-yard field goal against Toledo, and a 24-yarder against UNLV.

He missed a 45-yard try against Iowa in the second quarter and made a 32-yarder in the third. The sideline field-goal practice net became his only field goal-kicking outlet during games against Texas, Northern Iowa, Nebraska and Oklahoma.

"It frustrates me, but I'm always going to be ready," Culbertson said. "I'll keep kicking balls into the net when the defense is on the field, and I'll be ready to go whenever the offense is out there."

Iowa State has had possessions inside the opponent's 20-yard line nine times in the past four games. Six resulted in touchdowns; on the other three occasions the Cyclones failed to convert on fourth down.

"Extra points are pretty much it," said Culbertson, a kicking paradox.

While he enters Saturday's game amid field-goal inactivity, he is Iowa State's most successful point-after kicker with 66-for-66 career accuracy.

"I don't think about it," said Culbertson of the streak. "Extra points are pretty much - well, they should be automatic, and for me, so far they are."

The junior former walk-on from Des Moines Lincoln owns a string of 99 PAT successes since missing in a high school game against Urbandale on Sept. 13, 2002.

"I'm not concerned about not trying a field goal for however long it's been," Culbertson said. "I'm doing well in practice, so I know I won't be rusty when I do get out there again."

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Cyclone kicker would like a piece of the action

Wow it really has been a long time. Hopefully his next kick is not to pressure or long so he can confidently get back into the swing of field goals in a game

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 238

Re: Cyclone kicker would like a piece of the action

O line better get the pucker power out and start rolling some tires in their spare time. Maybe they should hold more and hope it is not called.

Suggest using Barkema and Nickel more.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.