Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 30

Who are Mac supporters kidding?

this team is terrible, period. They are 3 plays from being 0-7! The 3 wins they have are against average to horrible teams!

Week in week out the offense looks lost, confussed, predictable and just plain bad.

The defense is at least out there fighting to win games, and has actually improved as the year has gone by. Unfortunately the offense has actually gotten worse.

The game against TT is critical for Mac's survival.
    A win or a good showing and the pressure will subside a little. Loose big and even his supporters will question where we are headed.

Addict
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,312
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 0

Re: Who are Mac supporters kidding?

It seems as if each upcoming game is more crucial than any in the past, as we are coming upon the part of our schedule where most people felt we would get our wins. This game is very critical in the sense that if we don't win or at least look impressive, very little hope remains for the rest of the season. Our hope is already dangling on a single thread, and a poor showing this weekend could cause it to snap.

Gut-check time, Cyclones!

Addict
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 6

This is about the type of game that the team seems to have won in the past few years, anyway. With 2004, it was Baylor that gave us the fire to come back in the Big 12. In 2005, OSU was the game that brought back some of the swagger the team lost after demolishing Iowa. Anyone notice the pattern that our "come-back" games have been against South teams?

I know we're 0-3, and I'm looking at this game as skeptically as all the other 'Clone fans out there are, but I wouldn't discount the team and predict that we'll be 0-8 in the conference again. Especially with the studs we have on offense -- they're probably itching even more than we are to get this game going.

I don't think it's a question of how anymore, but when. Colorado's supposedly the worst team in the conference, and they demolished Tech. They had the same chip on their shoulders as we do now. It's Homecoming. The team will be ready.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,059
    Given: 558

I grew up watching the Cyclones in the 80's and into the 90's. Much of the time, those teams didn't even look like they belonged on the field with the teams that they were playing. While this team hasn't exactly lit it up, it is hands down superior to the pre-McCarney era teams in every way. I'm thinking that most of the Mac supporters are a little older, and have seen in gut wrenching detail how far ISU has actually come. Year after year of getting a little excited only to start thinking about basketball after the first couple games.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 312
    Given: 258

Ryan Baum running back a punt was a pleasant surprise. Alvin leading the nation in tackling is a surprise. Has any Clone ever done hat? Alvin is way ahead of #2. Bret setting a career passing record as a junior is a nice surprise. The only thing about pre McC era is that we would have a giant upset that no one projected like beating Nebraska with backup.

When was the last time we tried to pull goalposts down again? Colorado? Let's wait until we beat someone who was ranked.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Even in a loss, the pro-Mac supporters will lay out the predictable

"This is where I expected this years team to be at this point in the season,"

or "It's so hard to coach and win in the Big 12 for lowly ISU, we should be happy with 6 or 7 wins a year, it's a lot better than it was before McCarney!" or

"it's not Mac's fault the O-line doesn't play with heart."

And, individual accomplishments and single thrilling plays are great, but they don't mark a successful season or a program poised to get to the 8+ win/season level. Troy Davis had a lot of great plays on some horrible teams.

I don't hate McCarney nor do I really want him to go, but by year 12 in the "rebuilding" process, I expect a bit more than what we see on the field now. He's worked his @$$ off getting the program elevated from the ashes, but there has to be some serious evaluation of the assistant coaches come the end of this season, b/c they'll have plenty of time with the extended off season.

But in closing, this may be a stupid question, but lets suppose ISU wins 3 or 4 of the next five and goes to say, Shreveport, again. Is that good for the program? How many fans will travel to this? Would it really be considered an accomplishment? Does it keep the current regime of coaches or would a non-bowl season allow for more shake-up and changes? I know any exposure on tv is great for recruiting and revenue for the AD (as long as they don't spend more than the bowl payout allotment), but it almost seems like going to a low-tier bowl (which is the best possible scenario at this point in the season), its kinda like making the NIT when desperately wanting the NCAAs.

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 1

Yeah, a low-tier bowl I suppose might be better than nothing... especially if the department can actually get some money out of it... I dunno. I just really hope that either way the assistants are heavily evaluated.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 74

Quote Originally Posted by frontrangeclone View Post
    Even in a loss, the pro-Mac supporters will lay out the predictable

"This is where I expected this years team to be at this point in the season,"

or "It's so hard to coach and win in the Big 12 for lowly ISU, we should be happy with 6 or 7 wins a year, it's a lot better than it was before McCarney!" or

"it's not Mac's fault the O-line doesn't play with heart."
    I could say the same thing about the Mac haters. No matter what happens, they still find a way to criticize Mac...lately they have been bashing his "coach-speak".

That said, I want this team to show some f'ing heart and toughness this weekend. I don't care if we win on the last play...then people can say that we are FOUR plays from being 0-8. A win is a win in my book. But I want to see this team get off its *** and play like they deserve to win the game.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If it's so easy to criticize McCarney and just clean house in the program explain to me how the resources are not the root problem here. Do you Mac Bashers not understand how little he has to pay assistant coaches compared to other teams. Even if he can get a young and upcoming guy or someone under the radar if they succeed they end up being lured away easily for money. Don't even make me go through all of our good assistants that were lured away. And of course there is the other side where you end up taking risks on people like Marty Fine that are worthless. I'm not claiming that Mac is the greatest coach we could have, but you have to give the guy credit for what he has done with this program with the resources he has. And if we could step up and give him more resources and get some better quality assistants in here we may really be able to hit that next level. If it is so easy to ditch Mac this year, explain to me how we are going to buy his contract out, hire a quality coach with new assistants and stay on path for the $135 million dollar plan?

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 684
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 112

Regarding Mac's survival hinges on a victory over TX Tech: I'm NOT so sure that a win or a loss saturday will be the determining factor in Mac's survival.

But I will say that another loss on saturday and the old slippery pole gets a whole lot slicker, and it gets tougher to halt the downward slide.

If ever a head coach needed a win, its got to be Mac with all the fans unhappy over the way the team has performed this season so far, its just not very good to lose games at home and think that the old fanbase is going to be happy.

Go Clones Beat the Tech Red Raiders

All-Star
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 423
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 33

I've been quietly watching all of this discussion regarding whether or not we should keep Mac and there is one thought that I have not seen expressed about our frustration with the football team to date. What really bothers me is not the fact that they are losing games (face it - Based on preseason expectations we were likely to lose the games that we've lost thus far with the possible exception of the Nebraska game), but the way in which they are losing games. I will always be a Cyclone fan, but it is really hard to watch them play when their level of performance is so underwhelming. I don't know if it is a lack of talent or poor coaching or both. It would be much easier to stomach the losses if the team appeared to be giving their best effort in each game, but I have yet to see football that even rises to the level of what we saw last year let alone matching the level of performance that we were expecting to see this year.

The team also seems to be missing leadership and drive. From the few games that I've been able to see, there is no semblance of any attempts to provide leadership with the possible exception of Todd Blythe.

I really like Mac, but unless things improve significantly over the balance of the season, I can't see how we can avoid a change in coaching direction. Without unforeseen changes, there is no reason to believe that next year will be an improvement over this year. Cyclone fans at least need to have hope that next year can be better than this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 44

It's funny how the Mac-bashers claim that us supporters couldn't find a negative about him if we tried. Yet the way I look at it, YOU Mac-bashers wouldn't give him an ounce of credit for anything he has done for ISU. I am not happy with the way the season is going, and I think there has to be some serious evaluation done when the season is done and replace some asst coach positions, but CYST8T has good points about the available cash flow available to pay these coaching positions.
    I used to work for a company with the reputation of not paying good wages. You know what happens???? You get college grads coming in who don't know any better and when they take off, someone notices them and wants them to come to their company and actually pays what their worth?? As a result, you get turnover of the good employees using same former employer as a stepping stone to the rest of their career, and the non performers stay on because, with the turnover, we can't let go of our current employees until we can keep some. I don't have to tell you what happens with a company's performance in that situation.

I want the best coaches on our team... all the way from the head coach on down.....AND....I want to keep them once they have proven themselves. I don't know who makes that list, but we need to pay them what their worth when we get them or realize what we have in them now.....

Rookie
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Okay, so tell us...

how underpayed our assistants actually are. Do you even know Cotton's or Skladany's or any of the others' salary?

The fact is, assistants always are looking to move up in the coaching world. If they're offered a better job at another school or the NFL, say a coordinator or the ultimate goal of head coach, they'll jump. That's a fact. Mac ultimately is the one who's
    selecting these guys, so their failure is also a reflection of him as a coach.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    I grew up watching the Cyclones in the 80's and into the 90's. Much of the time, those teams didn't even look like they belonged on the field with the teams that they were playing. While this team hasn't exactly lit it up, it is hands down superior to the pre-McCarney era teams in every way. I'm thinking that most of the Mac supporters are a little older, and have seen in gut wrenching detail how far ISU has actually come. Year after year of getting a little excited only to start thinking about basketball after the first couple games.
    I'm with you on those teams from the 80s and 90s. We were really bad during that era. Fans that suffered through that probably are a little more tolerant.

Part of the reason for that was the near death penalty ISU received for NCAA violations. It is very frustrating seeing how tame the NCAA penalties are now compared to when we got in trouble. Kansas would have been hit really hard for their recent violations back in the 80s.

I think part of the growing discontent with Mac is the cumulative effect of what you mentioned in your last sentence. Every time things start to look up they seem to end with a let down. How many times can you recharge the battery before it won't hold a charge? At some point, Mac is going to need to exceed expectations to re-energize the fan base.

All-Star
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 9

Question Re: Okay, so tell us...

Quote Originally Posted by Klubber View Post
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]how underpayed our assistants actually are. Do you even know Cotton's or Skladany's or any of the others' salary?
    I was wondering the same thing. Given that they're state employees, the salaries of the ISU staff are a matter of public record. Over here in Iowa City, the local rag (Press-Citizen) publishes a "public employee" salary list on an annual basis. I keep it because it's always important to know the salary of your kid's elementary school principal ($88,921).

Anybody have a list of the ISU Coaching Staff salaries? Better yet, anybody have a means of comparing them to the other schools in the Big XII? I'm just curious if you actually know these facts you're quoting or if you're just blowing smoke! I could provide the salaries for EIU coaches if we had something to compare them to. For instance, Ken O'Keefe makes $195,000, as does Norm Parker. Chris Doyle makes $170,000. I'm too lazy to look up the rest, but I have the resource to do it. Note: This is their base salary and does not include outside revenue from camps, endorsements, etc.

If I recall this correctly, Mac's $1.1M puts him around the midway point of Big XII coaches, well behind guys like Mac Brown and Bob Stoops but ahead of Mark Manpigo, Baylor, OSU, etc. If we're at the midway point for the HC, does it follow that we're likely at the midway point for assistant coach salaries? Or is Mac keeping it all for himself? Put up or quit using this as an excuse!