Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Question Understanding Fitness Programs

I know we've had a thread going about what your fitness program is. But I'm not talking about the exercise part, but more of the dietary side of things.

I get that you need more output of calories than input to trim fat, but man this seems hard! Take for instance a typical day. Based on eating 2,000 calories a day, I work out for about an hour. Based off my HRM that tracks calorie exhaustion, I loose only 500ish calories. So I would have to work out for four hours to reach the 2,000 mark and more to loose weight. This is where I don't understand because this just seems rediculous.

Any thoughts from some health nuts out there.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 565
    Given: 268

Re: Understanding Fitness Programs

To correctly determine your calorie expenditure, i would need to know you VO2 max and such. But i can give you a pretty good estimate on your cal/min you burn at a given heart rate.
    What is your age and resting heart rate?

Starter
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 3

I'm just going to use myself as an example, without doing anything my body will burn about 2750 calories a day. Let's say i get in a workout and i burn an extra 500 calories, but my body will continue to burn calories at a higher rate for a couple hours after the workout. So on that given day I might end up buring around 3500 calories, if I can make sure to eat only around 2200 calories that day, I will see weight loss. I just wish I used my knowledge, but I hope this helps you out.

Walk On
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 585
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

An average American adult body will burn around 100 calories per hour when your sleeping or watching TV. I don't remember the source for this statistic, but I read it on a poster at a health club just the other day. Now obviously there are a lot of variables involved, but keep that is mind.

Addict
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 334
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

VO2?

Resting HR is 81. Age 25. Max would be around 195! I range my zone around 155-175 for Harder workouts. I just seem stumped when it comes to trying to burn enough when trying to eat enough.

Thanks for the example Aaron Jacobs. I was curious on about how much a body burns. I think my troubles come down to how much I'm eating. I am doing better, but I'm not doing it in moderations.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

It sounds like "patience" might be the missing component. You burn fat better at the lower heart rates; the higher heart rates are better for aerobic fitness.

The amount of musculature makes a huge difference in calories burned. While figuring input and outgo is useful for fitness, I have just become "instinctive" in how much to eat and/or exercise.

Are you overweight? If so, keep your portion size small, eat 5 small meals a day, and do about an hour of exercize, 5-6 days a week, at moderate levels. (If it hurts, it's not moderate.)

Don't mean to make you feel bad, but exceptional fitness is possible for everyone. I've dumped 25% of my bodyweight a couple years back, and currently am pretty optimal.

44 years old, 44 bpm resting heart rate, 117/48 bp and sub-14 min. 2 mile. Can press my body weight 3 sets of 10. And I have bad knees, back and shoulders from old injuries.

Just don't go crazy right away, and work yourself into shape. And learn to like hunger.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Addict
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 334
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

No offense taken. Thanks for the input and I'll keep that in mind when I addressing my concerns. Learning to eat 5 smaller meals versus 3 biggers meals is the biggest change for me. I keep wanting to have the cheeseberger with fries too. It just doesn't work like that. Also finding reasonable but tasty foods to get all the protein, low calories and fat, and carbs I need. Just a lot to consider.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 154

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Pro
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 1,049
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 13

Diet is the biggest key in any body change whether you want to gain or lose weight. My roommate is a personal trainer so I hear about this stuff whether I want to know it or not. I personally don't really count calories or watch my diet that well because I have the metabolism of a humming bird (thanks Dad), but you definitely need to if you want to see change. And you need to be precise. You can't forget about all the little snacks and cutting your workouts short and etc. Depending on how much you are willing to invest, BodyBuggs are a good way to keep track of these things. They are pricey, but work well.

BODYBUGG :: HOW IT WORKS

Addict
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 739
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

My wife is a dietitian. She typical recommends something in line with what Phaedrus said. She says 6 times a day for eating. Eat your 3 meals with small sized portions and then have a mid morning snack, afternoon snack, and an evening snack. The meals and snacks, of course, need to be sensible.

Also, when working out, try to find a nice balance between cardio and weight lifting. Building lean muscle will burn calories.

Lastly, I don't know without asking her, but I would think your body definitely burns more calories than 500 without doing anything more than your normal day. I'm guessing, even on the low end, you probably burn 1500-1800. Most men of your age will burn even more than that in the 2000-2500 calorie range.

If you have some specific questions, PM me and I'll have her answer them.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

All-Star
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 782
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Say no to fast food. I can't even remember the last time I ate fries. Just draw a line in the sand, no more drive through junk. I will eat the grilled chicken wraps from MD though, healthy and 2 for $3.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCyclones View Post
    Say no to fast food. I can't even remember the last time I ate fries. Just draw a line in the sand, no more drive through junk. I will eat the grilled chicken wraps from MD though, healthy and 2 for $3.
    In addition to putting my stomach on a diet, I also put myself on a "spending diet".

As a result of discipline, I've saved $15,000 over the last three years.

Those meals at restaurants, extras when you get gas, and sodas and snacks really add up in more ways than one.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Addict
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 739
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

Also, keep in mind that the human body is a strange thing. If you aren't feeding your body enough, the body can start to store fat as an evolutionary survival instinct that is still carried around by modern human. This why some people will gain weight even though they might be skipping whole meals or eating once per day. The eating several times a day thing is important. You want to reduce your calories without your body reacting to protect your weight and store fat. Some trainers and nutritionist will even recommend a "Free Day" where you can eat whatever and how ever much you want on that one day to make sure your body is reassured that you aren't slowly starving. This Free Day concept is somewhat controversial.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 961
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 85

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    And learn to like hunger.
    My experience is that eating 5 or six smaller meals a day keeps you from getting hungry and keeps your metabolism a little higher. Also drinking lots water and taking a good multivitamin will also help with any hunger.

Pro
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 1,049
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 121
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    Also, keep in mind that the human body is a strange thing. If you aren't feeding your body enough, the body can start to store fat as an evolutionary survival instinct that is still carried around by modern human. This why some people will gain weight even though they might be skipping whole meals or eating once per day. The eating several times a day thing is important. You want to reduce your calories without your body reacting to protect your weight and store fat. Some trainers and nutritionist will even recommend a "Free Day" where you can eat whatever and how ever much you want on that one day to make sure your body is reassured that you aren't slowly starving. This Free Day concept is somewhat controversial.
    This is a very good point. When you go long periods of time without eating your body goes into what is called "starvation mode." This is where the body, because of survival tactics, thinks it is not getting the right amount of sustenance and starts storing calories as fat. If the body is getting nutrients on a regular basis it will not feel the need to store calories as fat.