Here comes Skynet!
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Walk On
    Points: 8,402, Level: 27
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    twittkop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    145
    Points
    8,402
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Here comes Skynet!

    Tiny Brain-Like Computer Created - Yahoo! News

    I thought John Connor was supposed to take care of this.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 131,534, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cyismydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,353
    Points
    131,534
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 10

    Re: Here comes Skynet!

    Haven't you been watching Sara Connor the terminator chronicles? This thing is the turk! We're all going to die. (run around screaming)
    jk



  3. #3
    Legend
    Points: 387,708, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    24,014
    Points
    387,708
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 773
    Given: 610

    Re: Here comes Skynet!

    We laugh now, but this kind of stuff is scary.



  4. #4
    Legend
    Points: 170,031, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    The_Architect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Focus Town
    Posts
    11,871
    Points
    170,031
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 487
    Given: 2,046

    Re: Here comes Skynet!

    Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    We laugh now, but this kind of stuff is scary.
    No kidding. It's amazing how almost all things from science fiction of 40 years ago is becoming reality. Cloning, Robots/AI, Time Travel(we can "go into the future, kinda"), etc.

    What's next?


    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

  5. #5
    Legend
    Points: 387,708, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    24,014
    Points
    387,708
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 773
    Given: 610

    Re: Here comes Skynet!

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    No kidding. It's amazing how almost all things from science fiction of 40 years ago is becoming reality. Cloning, Robots/AI, Time Travel(we can "go into the future, kinda"), etc.

    What's next?

    Im still waiting for the Mad Dog hoverboard Back to the Future promised me.



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 55,615, Level: 73
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,435
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    dustinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,635
    Points
    55,615
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Here comes Skynet!

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    No kidding. It's amazing how almost all things from science fiction of 40 years ago is becoming reality. Cloning, Robots/AI, Time Travel(we can "go into the future, kinda"), etc.

    What's next?
    Wait...what? When did that happen?



  7. #7
    Legend
    Points: 170,031, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    The_Architect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Focus Town
    Posts
    11,871
    Points
    170,031
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 487
    Given: 2,046

    Re: Here comes Skynet!

    Quote Originally Posted by dustinal View Post
    Wait...what? When did that happen?
    It's called Time Dilation and I believe it's been proven. Basically you have two people with Identical watches. One person on earth, the other in a fast moving space vehicle. It's been shown (by using Atomic clocks) that the one moving in the air(or space) has a slower time of reference. Basically the person flying has had their time "slow down."

    Now, take something like that and apply it at much higher speeds (ie. the speed of light) and you'd be able to "go into the future" by not aging like the people on the ground...

    Here is a Wiki link:
    Time dilation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I'll try to dig up the article I read a while back about this actually working in an airplane using Atomic clocks.


    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 170,031, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    The_Architect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Focus Town
    Posts
    11,871
    Points
    170,031
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 487
    Given: 2,046

    Re: Here comes Skynet!

    This isn't the article I read a few years back but it describes the scenario. The've done this using Atomic Clocks

    "We know for certain that time travel is possible," he told CNN. "For instance, scientists have demonstrated that objects traveling at high speeds age more slowly than stationary objects, so if I traveled on a high-speed rocket into outer space and returned moving close to the speed of light, I could travel thousands of years into the Earth's future."

    Article: Fast-forward to the past: The great time travel debate - CNN.com


    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 63,181, Level: 77
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jumbopackage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,474
    Points
    63,181
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

    Re: Here comes Skynet!

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    It's called Time Dilation and I believe it's been proven. Basically you have two people with Identical watches. One person on earth, the other in a fast moving space vehicle. It's been shown (by using Atomic clocks) that the one moving in the air(or space) has a slower time of reference. Basically the person flying has had their time "slow down."

    Now, take something like that and apply it at much higher speeds (ie. the speed of light) and you'd be able to "go into the future" by not aging like the people on the ground...

    Here is a Wiki link:
    Time dilation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    I'll try to dig up the article I read a while back about this actually working in an airplane using Atomic clocks.
    This is nothing new. Einstein's theory of relativity pretty much explains the phenomenon. Planet of the Apes is pretty clear about it as well.

    You aren't really "time travelling" just basically pressing "fast forward" to everything not relative to your speed (though at "low" speeds it's a very slow fast forward).



  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 170,031, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    The_Architect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Focus Town
    Posts
    11,871
    Points
    170,031
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 487
    Given: 2,046

    Re: Here comes Skynet!

    Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    This is nothing new. Einstein's theory of relativity pretty much explains the phenomenon. Planet of the Apes is pretty clear about it as well.

    You aren't really "time travelling" just basically pressing "fast forward" to everything not relative to your speed (though at "low" speeds it's a very slow fast forward).
    Correct. Fascinating nonetheless :)


    While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 55,615, Level: 73
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,435
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    dustinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,635
    Points
    55,615
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Here comes Skynet!

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
    This isn't the article I read a few years back but it describes the scenario. The've done this using Atomic Clocks

    "We know for certain that time travel is possible," he told CNN. "For instance, scientists have demonstrated that objects traveling at high speeds age more slowly than stationary objects, so if I traveled on a high-speed rocket into outer space and returned moving close to the speed of light, I could travel thousands of years into the Earth's future."

    Article: Fast-forward to the past: The great time travel debate - CNN.com
    Oh, OK. I knew about that already. But that's just theory. Nobody's ever actually done it. I was the under the impression from what you said earlier that somebody had actually traveled through time recently...



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 63,181, Level: 77
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jumbopackage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,474
    Points
    63,181
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

    Re: Here comes Skynet!

    Quote Originally Posted by dustinal View Post
    Oh, OK. I knew about that already. But that's just theory. Nobody's ever actually done it. I was the under the impression from what you said earlier that somebody had actually traveled through time recently...
    Appolo astronauts actually have a few hundredths of a second on us, if I remember right.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 55,615, Level: 73
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,435
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    dustinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,635
    Points
    55,615
    Level
    73
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Here comes Skynet!

    Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    Appolo astronauts actually have a few hundredths of a second on us, if I remember right.
    Good point. I think I've heard that too, now that you mention it. All right then!



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 76,794, Level: 86
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Khorasan
    Posts
    5,111
    Points
    76,794
    Level
    86
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Here comes Skynet!

    Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    Appolo astronauts actually have a few hundredths of a second on us, if I remember right.
    That's just the "gravity-well effect". Time flows slower as gravitational pull grows stronger. One of the challenges to accuracy during the early days of ballistic missiles was that time speeds up the further you go away from the gravitational pull of the earth.

    So, in order to increase the accuracy of the missiles, which just use time-of-flight to determine range, they need to build in a "correction factor" for the gravitational effect on time.

    Now, on time dilation, which uses relative speed as a variable, there is a well-known experiences using subatomic particles called Muons, which decay at differing rates depending on speed. The theory is that their decay is only relative to the observer.

    I'm not a scientist, I just think science is cool. Maybe a "real" science geek would like to address the issue better than I can.


    I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Mediacom 22
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Drake
  • December 20, 2014
  • 04:00 PM