Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 67

The Empire Invades Ames

Sorry today's blog wasn't really "Cyclone-based", I'll try to do better next time. Oh yeah, and please click the link underneath this to help us beef up our viewing statistics and continue to dominate the Hawks bloggers, even if you just read it out of this thread. Thanks!

Juice blogs » The Cyclones

The Empire Invades Ames by Jerry Hales
    :: March 9th, 2008 :: 4:10 pm

Normally when I’m ****** about something I give myself a break to settle down before acting on it, or in this case writing about it. Today however, I decided that I needed to sit down and write about it while the rage was fresh in my mind. The Evil Empire has moved into our own backyard! This time, rather than referring to the dark side of the state, I am talking about an even worse enemy, the villain that is Wal-Mart (DeathStar-Supercenter). As you may know, they opened their doors to the public earlier this week in Ames, and have been packed with hordes of people pushing through the aisles in search of things they they don’t even realize they are looking for ever since.

While I have never been a big Wal-Mart fan, I really couldn’t say I hated the entity that is Wal-Mart until today. My wife suggested that we go there today to get a few sets of window blinds and some toilet paper. Not looking forward to fighting the crowds on a Sunday afternoon for a couple of items, I reluctantly agreed and we loaded up our 10 month old son and made the trek across town. We decided since we were there we would return the unopened baby formula that had made our son spit up (she had bought two cans when she got it). Although we hadn’t been really excited to get Wal-Mart brand formula, it was half the price and the cost of formula can really add up.

When we walked in, the guy in charge at the front asked us what we needed to do with the formula and then told us that their return scanner was broken so he would have to walk us over to the return desk. After waiting for about 5 minutes, he finally opened another register so I could return it, then asks, “Hi welcome to Wal-Mart. How can I help you?” Withstanding the urge to insult his mental capacity, I told him that I needed to return the formula. When he asked for my drivers’ license I realized that I had forgotten my wallet (and was thankful for my willpower a moment before). My wife assumed I had it so she only grabbed the diaper bag and not her purse, so we didn’t have either license. He informed me that I would need to come back later with my license.

At the time I was ******, but half at myself for not remembering my wallet. We had to traipse back across town to get my wallet, then headed back to Wal-Mart to get our refund and the 2 things we came for. When I got in, I again had to wait for 5 minutes until a lady standing there decided to open another register. After I handed her the formula and told her we needed a refund because it made my son spit up, she asked for my receipt. We never keep receipts for grocery items or things like formula so I didn’t have one. And seriously, who keeps a receipt for something like formula?

At that point, she told me that they didn’t take returns on formula without a receipt. In disbelief I showed them the label saying “Wal-Mart” on the container and told them we would take the lowest price that they had ever sold it for but we couldn’t give it to our son. She told me that we couldn’t get anything for it because we could have used welfare to buy it. Never mind the fact that it HAD to have been purchased at Wal-Mart since they don’t sell their crappy brand anywhere else. Finally, I left enraged rather than ripping the seal off of the cannister of formula and dumping it all over the place. We headed over to Target and got in and out quickly without fighting traffic and idiotic return policies.

I know that sometimes Wal-Mart can have cheaper prices on things (which in my opinion is because they cut corners on quality for many items). I however, will do anything in my power to steer clear of that rat-trap from here on out. You can get pretty much anything at Target that you can get at Wal-Mart and it’s better quality. Also, if anybody reading this has an infant and would like a great deal on some Wal-Mart formula guaranteed to make your youngster yak, I’ve got a delicious unopened cannister of “Great Value” formula with your name on it!

-I apologize for ranting about something unrelated to ISU sports for so long today. I will use my slot on Tuesday to preview the Big 12 Tournament coming up and I plomise to not go on and on about Wal-Mart in that entry. A man’s plomise is his bond.

Last edited by tigershoops31; 03-09-2008 at 10:42 PM.

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Addict
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,015
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 10

Re: The Empire Invades Ames

You do realize that they can't take it back without a receipt because crooked people will buy stuff on welfare and then return it to get cash to go spend on cigarettes and booze, right? That's a perfectly reasonable policy.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 339
    Given: 43

Only two stores you will ever need for groceries:

And

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

It was probably made in China in the other half of the building where they made the poisonous dog food.

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

I don't understand, you couldn't figure out Walmart's incredibly lenient return policy and you're mad at them? Receipt or license, you would think you'd have atleast one of those at all times, seems fairly basic. How does Walmart know you didn't use a WIC check to buy it and now are trying to return it for a cash refund?

Last edited by cmoneyr; 03-09-2008 at 08:14 PM.
    It's Bushbama!

2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 776
    Given: 492

You have3 takebacks without a receipt for six month period. At least, that is what they say in Omaha.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 809
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cmoneyr View Post
    I don't understand, you couldn't figure out Walmart's incredibly lenient return policy and you're mad at them? Receipt or license, you would think you'd have atleast one of those at all times, seems fairly basic. How does Walmart know you didn't use a WIC check to buy it and now are trying to return it for a cash refund?
    I always thought it was lenient too...I had my license when I came back to return it and got shot down. Do I need to bring in my W-2's or something to show I don't get welfare? It pisses me off too that this wasn't told to us when we bought the stuff...I would have just bought one to make sure it was decent if I had known they wouldn't let me take it back.

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 776
    Given: 492

Walmart has more dollars in revenies than many 3rd world countries.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Obviously it's an annoying situation, but surely you see why they can't just take your word for it right?

It's Bushbama!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cmoneyr View Post
    Obviously it's an annoying situation, but surely you see why they can't just take your word for it right?
    Obviously they couldn't do that, but if they take my information from my license wouldn't they be able to tell if I receive welfare? And if not, they should make the no-return policy clear when you buy things like formula that it wouldn't be common knowledge that you can't take it back.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tigershoops31 View Post
    Obviously they couldn't do that, but if they take my information from my license wouldn't they be able to tell if I receive welfare? And if not, they should make the no-return policy clear when you buy things like formula that it wouldn't be common knowledge that you can't take it back.
    Another technique that welfare scammers use is to have other people return their items, in return for a percentage of the cash. i.e. return 300 bucks worth of stuff, you keep 100, they get the other 200.

Lately, they've also been buying big bottles of water - the ones with the $15 deposit - and dumping the water out, and returning the empty bottle for the cash deposit.

Bottom line, if you're returning welfare-able stuff, you better have a receipt.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    Another technique that welfare scammers use is to have other people return their items, in return for a percentage of the cash. i.e. return 300 bucks worth of stuff, you keep 100, they get the other 200.

Lately, they've also been buying big bottles of water - the ones with the $15 deposit - and dumping the water out, and returning the empty bottle for the cash deposit.

Is there a place somewhere that they have a list of these items so you can be aware of which things need receipts?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 741
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 62

Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post

Crap like this bothers people, this is why welfare, WIC and freebie health insurance needs a serious makeover! I personally know of people abusing this stuff. When I am president I will have a detailed audit of all entitlement programs. My guess is that 50% of the people can be removed from them.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Is there a place somewhere that they have a list of these items so you can be aware of which things need receipts?
    Probably pretty much anything you can buy with foodstamps.

All I'm trying to say is that their policy isn't unreasonable, and explaining the reasoning why.

I'd say, if you're going to be returning stuff, just save receipts for a reasonable amount of time. I don't know of too many places that take stuff back without a receipt.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Yea, I composed a list of things you should try to keep the receipt for just to be safe:

Everything

The end.

It's Bushbama!