Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

40 Rushes = Success v. Tech

Can the O-line step it up and get physical for an entire game as they did against Iowa in the first half?

In looking at Tech's season, it is clear that the best way to beat them is physically pound the ball with the running game. TCU, Missouri, and Colorado all ran the ball more than 40 times and physically beat Tech and frustrating Tech's offense by keeping them off the field. A&M also used this scheme, but gave up a TD in the last minute to lose by 4.

This needs to be the week that the OL as well as Stevie, Jason and Bret step it up on the running game. Although I haven't seen much of the Tech games, it appears as if the QB position has had success in running the ball as all of the QB's from the above-mentioned teams had more than 10 rushes and had positive yards (even Chase Daniels had 37 yards). So yes, the option may need to be used this week (unfortunately). I believe that if we have 40+ rushes and more than 65 plays total, we win. If we try to get into a shootout, we lose. Don't get me wrong, on the 20-25 pass plays, we need to take at least 6-8 shots of 15 or more yards downfield, but the key to the success rests on the legs of the offense this week, not the hands.

Facebook Knows All
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 152
    Given: 66

Re: 40 Rushes = Success v. Tech

Good post.

It's hard to argue with the numbers.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Let's hope the numbers are right, because the other numbers that are hard to argue with is that Texas Tech has a top 5 passing offense in the country and without Jackson, it's going to be very, very tough to stop them. They are averaging 10 yards a completion. It will be tough, but ISU can do it.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 152

I agree 100%. Line up in the I with Kock and Hicks/Scales and pound away. A lot of ISO would be nice.

Get Meyer outside the pocket and spring him for some nice gains. If they have trouble with the run, the screen passes should be there too.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

By running the ball we can keep that top 5 passing offense OFF THE FIELD! However, if WE CAN'T RUN, WE LOSE. I agree that we'll get beat in a shoot out. I'm usually a 'pass to open up the run' guy, but this week changes. LET'S GO O-LINE!!!

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."- President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 41

This thread brings up a good point. We have a big O-line, a quality FB, and a bruising RB in Hicks, yet we don't really run any full-on down-hill blocking, follow the fullback, 5 yards in a cloud of dust, old big 10 style running plays. We have zone blocking, no fullback, stevie cutting and dancing trying to pick his hole.

LET THESE GUYS DO WHAT THEY ARE BEST AT!!

I would be so excited if we see some I formation, punch 'em in the mouth over and over again running plays.

Am I wrong here, or do other people think we'd be more successful with an aggressive running style?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't think the problem with the running game is the actual running game itself. It's a product of the offense not sustaining drives and then getting behind early. We can run the ball well when we're not playing from behind, etc.

Having said that, I think we could run the ball better out of the I-formation, using ISOs and cross-blocks.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 277
    Given: 241

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    I don't think the problem with the running game is the actual running game itself. It's a product of the offense not sustaining drives and then getting behind early. We can run the ball well when we're not playing from behind, etc.

Having said that, I think we could run the ball better out of the I-formation, using ISOs and cross-blocks.

BINGO. That is what I am saying about the pro set. Sit a receiver down for the game and run the ball. Then do the play action fake and off to the races.

WATCH. If we cannot run against Tech the first half, we might as will go with the younger oline guys. The old guys are too old and stodgy.

REMEMBER. Tech needs a win just as bad as us. Leach thinks the whole team is squabbling.

HOPE. We are not the laughingstock of the league this year. After all, Colorado has won one against guess who.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Walk On
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree that I'd like a little more 2-back sets, but not exclusively the I-formation unless we are going to use some misdirection. I'd also like to see the shotgun formation with split backs (Scales and Hicks) and create confusion by crossing the backs or using the read draw with the alternative of having the additional back available to run the option. That puts a lot of pressure on the DE and if they bring a safety or CB to help, later in the game you drop back and go deep using the same play action to begin. If the outside LB goes to help, then the initial hand-off to Hicks or Scales is open.

We also need to stick with some 1 back, 3 WR, 1 TE or 4 WR sets to keep the defense spread out. One other commonality between all of the teams that have had success against TT is that they either spread you out (Missouri) or run a lot of different sets with misdirection (TCU, A&M, and Colorado - I am recalling Boise State's offense under Hawkins).

I would prefer a gameplan that calls for approximately 20-25 two back sets (at least 4 w/out any TE's and 5-7 out of shotgun);

20 - 25 plays with single back and 3 or 4 WR's (10-15 out of shotgun);

10-15 plays with 1 RB, 2 TE's and 2 WR (with at least 3 passes to TE);

4-6 jumbo sets;

5 specials (i.e. plays to expose TT weaknesses such as reverse to Davis, pass by Flynn, Sumrall in motion and being the pitch man in an option play).

With a gameplan of 60-65 ready plays plus specials, you have a full gameplan that should be able to be executed with little difficulty. The offense could exclusively practice 20-25 plays per day, plus 1-2 specials and build on each day with the gameplan being fully in place by the end of practice on Wednesday, go full out on Thursday on all plays, and then dry run all of the plays again on Friday.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

When is the last time ISU ran screens successfully???

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We have the worst fundamental offensive line that we have had in a long time, you can rush as many times as you want, but if you dont get anywhere what good is it? We havnt ran any good screen or misdirection play because......that requires good blocking something that we have not had all year. I give credit to Bret Meyer for being able to come back and play every week after all of the shots that he takes.

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by JCloned View Post
    When is the last time ISU ran screens successfully???
    ISU cannot run screen passes and they cannot defend screen passes.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I don't know if we have ever had the atheletes required on the O-line to be a good screen pass team.

If we run the ball 40 times we will be right there with tech, because if we run the ball that often, we will be running the ball well, which is great, because it will mean our offense is doing SOMETHING well besides going three and out. I think you could say the same thing about the passing game and have it be valid, if meyer completes 40 passes, we WILL win.

The big benefit to running the ball well, especially against tech, will be to run the clock, limit their possesions and keep their offense off the field. I hope we get 40 rushes, but I think it's a longshot.

The Portland, Oregon cyclone fan
    Class of 91

If life isn't fun, your doing it wrong.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Tell Me if I'm wrong, isn't the game plan to beat Texas Tech the same as to beat the Cyclones. Ball control and keep the offense off the field.

Last edited by mmann1999; 10-17-2006 at 06:53 PM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mmann1999 View Post
    Tell Me if I'm wrong, isn't the game plan to beat Texas Tech the same as to beat the Cyclones. Ball control and keep the offense off the field.
    What has our offense shown that makes you really, realy want to keep them off the field.

I mean...ever team wants to control the ball - but sometimes you just need to. Our offense...hasn't put the fear in anyone yet.

Maybe they'll do that this week.