Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 239

McCarney to Cyclone DBs: Your time is now

DMR Link

Ames, Ia. Iowa State's football team assembled for its weekly meeting after Sunday's practice.

Midway through the session, coach Dan McCarney summoned the defensive backs to stand up so their teammates could see them.

"It was a different meeting than we've had before," said junior quarterback Bret Meyer, "but the situation warranted that kind of meeting."

McCarney wanted to be perfectly clear that, ready or not, players in the Cyclones' new-look secondary knew they had to play like veterans during Saturday's 2:30 p.m. game against Texas Tech at Jack Trice Stadium.

Everyone, McCarney said, feels terrible that starting cornerback DeAndre Jackson won't play for the Cyclones again after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee during Saturday's 34-9 loss against Oklahoma, but the mourning period has expired.

It's time to move on, and he wanted all 105 players to know it.

"I had all eight scholarship defensive backs stand up," McCarney said Monday. "I said you're on scholarship. Step it up. ...

"You've got a lot of people that have faith and trust in you, but it's not about talking about it. It's about going out and doing it."

Iowa State needs improved play from everyone after a 0-3 Big 12 Conference start, including those players involved with a rushing average of only 101.6 yards a game.

The spotlight, though, shines mostly now on the secondary after Jackson was hurt while returning a kickoff in the first half.

Thus the meeting.

"He was real with us, with everyone," Meyer said. "I'm not going to get into it too much, but he told us where we were as a team, and every team needs to hear that.

"We're not where we'd thought we be, and we're not where we're capable of being."

Jackson's injury forced McCarney to shuffle the secondary for an opponent that ranks third in the nation in passing with an average of 337.34 yards a game.

Steve Johnson moved from free safety to Jackson's cornerback spot.

Converted tailback Jason Harris replaces Johnson at free safety.

For now.

"That's for practice (today)," McCarney said. "I'll know more after the next few nights of practice."

The only status quo in the secondary is Chris Singleton at cornerback and Caleb Berg at strong safety.

Iowa State enters Saturday's game as one of 22 teams to allow 13 or more touchdown passes. Texas Tech stands second in the nation with 20 touchdown passes, four behind Hawaii.

Facebook Knows All
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 419
    Given: 180

Re: McCarney to Cyclone DBs: Your time is now

Mac calling out the players...in the media...this is what a lot of people were looking for.

I hope it works.

All-Star
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 425
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 5

More of a challenge than a calling-out, but I agree-- this was a good move by DMac. I hope the players respond the way we want (need!).

Yeah well, ya know, that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.

Rookie
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 2

When is he going to do this with the offense? Why call out a young inexperienced group of DBs. If he is doing this to the DBs, how severe should he call out the offensive line?? Do they get public floggings? I don't get this. Our senior offensive line is horrible and is the weakest link in the team.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

He is just trying to let them know that they need to step up. I see no problem with it. For the record it is time for them to step up.

Clones Rule

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cydsho View Post
    When is he going to do this with the offense? Why call out a young inexperienced group of DBs. If he is doing this to the DBs, how severe should he call out the offensive line?? Do they get public floggings? I don't get this. Our senior offensive line is horrible and is the weakest link in the team.
    He did this with the secondary because they were already a struggling unit and their leader just went down for the season. Not to mention we are facing one of the top 3 pass attacks in the nation. I am sure if Stephenson or Brant went down on the offensive line they would get a similar pep talk.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 239

Quote Originally Posted by ISUCLONES15 View Post
    He did this with the secondary because they were already a struggling unit and their leader just went down for the season. Not to mention we are facing one of the top 3 pass attacks in the nation. I am sure if Stephenson or Brant went down on the offensive line they would get a similar pep talk.
    Yeah, if an injury took place on the offensive line, there would be a pep talk and a story.

However, the offensive line NEEDS some sort of pep talk or a**-whoopin right now.

Or, shake it up and start someone else. I like what was done with the secondary - now smack around the offensive line.

And...D-Mac very likely has already done so. We just don't see stories wrote about every little pep talk a coach gives. Although, that offensive line is one unit I'd like to see "publicly called out".

Rookie
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 2

If you're going to publicly challenge someone, I just think the challenge should have been directed towards the off line. That is fine if Dmac is trying to bolster the confidence in the young DBs but at the same time the leaders of the team are on offense and right now the offensive line can barely block a stiff breeze. If a fire needs to be lit it needs to be under the off line these last five games. They need to be reminded they are on scholarships and are SENIORS.

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Losing Aaron Brant would be a blessing, he is one of the biggest problems right now, the tackles just can't hold and either can Schmeling!

Big Shawn, Super Clone!

Walk On
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 402
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I read the article this morning and I do not think it makes any sense. The defense and particular the DB's have not been very good this season but they are not the main problem with this team. It is the horrible offensive line play. I would have no problem calling out Cotton and a senior lead offensive line but callling out freshmen and sophomore d-back's is just plain stupid. I thought earlier in the year Mac said he had more Big 12 caliber o-line on this team than any other team in the past. If that is the case, why are there no changes?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 614
    Given: 389

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Yeah, if an injury took place on the offensive line, there would be a pep talk and a story.

However, the offensive line NEEDS some sort of pep talk or a**-whoopin right now.

Or, shake it up and start someone else. I like what was done with the secondary - now smack around the offensive line.

And...D-Mac very likely has already done so. We just don't see stories wrote about every little pep talk a coach gives. Although, that offensive line is one unit I'd like to see "publicly called out".
    I just wish the seniors would play like seniors in the oline. They are down to the last five games of their football career in all liklihood.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cydsho View Post
    If you're going to publicly challenge someone, I just think the challenge should have been directed towards the off line. That is fine if Dmac is trying to bolster the confidence in the young DBs but at the same time the leaders of the team are on offense and right now the offensive line can barely block a stiff breeze. If a fire needs to be lit it needs to be under the off line these last five games. They need to be reminded they are on scholarships and are SENIORS.
    Publicly challenging or calling out players has never been DMac's style, and that's OK with me. I doubt if he's giving his players hugs after the game and saying, "That's alright. We'll get 'em next time." I'm sure behind closed doors he's chewing out the underachievers and challenging them to step it up.

"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 938
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Gary_ISU View Post
    I read the article this morning and I do not think it makes any sense. The defense and particular the DB's have not been very good this season but they are not the main problem with this team. It is the horrible offensive line play. I would have no problem calling out Cotton and a senior lead offensive line but calling out freshmen and sophomore d-back's is just plain stupid. I thought earlier in the year Mac said he had more Big 12 caliber o-line on this team than any other team in the past. If that is the case, why are there no changes?
    Agreed. Even before the O-line, I think Mac needs to be calling out himself and certain members of his staff, Barney included, before he calls out D-backs or other players. I know these players are on scholarship, but come on Mac, you are the one making millions.