Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

Just 1 man's perspective...

I'm sick of all the negativity and "fire Mac" comments so thought I would provide a "big picture" analysis of our season so far compared to what most thought going into this season.

Overall Record: pre-season optimistic: 4-3. The "no brainer" wins of Toledo, UNLV, and UNI and win either Iowa or Nebraska. Texas and OU were assumed losses. Even a pre-season realistic of 3-4 record was not out of the question. Actual record: 3-4. I'm not sure why everyone is so shocked and outraged, we all knew that 3-4 was a possibility at this point but being the excited and optimistic fans we are we were hoping for 4-3 or even 5-2.

Big 12 Record: pre-season optimistic: 1-2. Reality: 0-3. Let's face it, we knew that Texas and OU were given losses and Nebraska would not be easy. Those 3 teams make up 3 of the top 4 teams in the conference so it's not like we had some major disappointments in this category.

Offense: pre-season optimistic: the offense would be one of the most explosive in the Big 12. Games would be high scoring and if we lost it wouldn't be because we couldn't score points but that the defense could not hold the other team. Reality: The offense has probably been worse than the defense so far. ISU has struggled to score points and the expirienced offensive line has not been a strength so far.

Defense: pre-season optimistic: the young players would develop and the defense would eventually do just enough to let the high-powered offense be enough to win games. Reality: the defense struggled early on and showed it's lack of depth and inexpirience. However, there have been some positives lately with signs of improvement and ability to hold good opponnets. However, despite the improvement and being able to hold opponnets the offense has not returned the favor by scoring when the defense has done its job. The defense still has some holes and room to improve but I think we all have seen some improvment here as the season has gone on.

Special teams: pre-season optimistic: Culbertson would prove us wrong and be a solid kicker, our return and coverage teams would be above average. Reality: Culbertson is 3-4 on FG (missed a 40+ yarder) and coverage teams have been shaky at times allowing some fair returns. Punting has been about average at 41.7 yards a punt. Baum is averaging 18 yds per punt return with 1 td, Jackson was averaging 19.6 yards per kickoff return.

Overall analysis: we should not be too shocked that we are 3-4 right now considering who we have played. We knew this schedule was tough coming into the season. We very well could be winless actually considering our 3 wins all came down to the last play of the game.

Rest of season: With Missouri the best team left on the schedule and mediocre to poor teams left, we will see what ISU is made of. Every team left is beatable but also a concern to be beaten by as well. The offense has been absolutely PATHETIC so far and until they step it up and start playing like they are capable of the less than average defense (and now banged up) is not enough to carry this team to wins. The Texas Tech game will tell a lot about this team if they can compete or if they have come to a point they have given up and are going to tank it. I'm not about to get down on this team because in the big picture besides how bad the offense has looked this is about realistically what we should have expected from the rest of the team. I don't think firing Mac will solve any of these problems. Especially on offense, the players need to take responsibility and find something that will light their fire. The offensive line in general lacks the "nastiness" and there seems to be no sense of urgency coming out of the huddle. This is where trying some stretches of no huddle offense might be benefical because maybe then some of these offensive players will feel there is a sense of urgency when they have to hustle back to the line every play without a huddle.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 213

Re: Just 1 man's perspective...

I don't care who we've played. I've grown tired of the "woe is us because we play in the Big 12 crap." We’re in the Big 12, we keep talking that someday we’d compete with the big boys – this was the year to do so. Nebraska is not all that and a bag of chips. Neither is Iowa. I was impressed with Texas but not blown away by Oklahoma. We should be 4-3 at this point, if not 5-2.

And even aside from that, we have not looked good in one single game this year. Not any of them. Zero. We’ve had flashes, but very brief. Our offense has disappeared for at least a full quarter in every game. Same with the defense.

THAT is why so many Cyclone fans were frustrated. I waited to get frustrated until after we played a few "real" games. Now that we have, unless things change, it will continue to be a long year for us.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Agreed ISUFan22, it has been hard for us to look good for even a quarter in any game. You're right, UI, UN, OU don't seem that special or unbeatable this year either; they were games that could have been won.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 95

Yeah, I'm tired of this crap of "this is just about where we thought we'd be before the season started."

No, it wasn't. I expected to have a win against either Nebraska or Iowa, who are both very average teams. I expected to beat 3 WEAK non-conference opponents by more than 9 points total. I expected ISU to compete against OU, they did not.

UNLV is 1-5 now. They just blew a 14 point halftime lead to New Mexico State.

Toledo has gotten dismantled by Central Michigan, Pitt, Western Michigan, and just got destroyed by freaking KENT STATE.

This team is not good this season, period. We will be lucky to win one more game this year.

I keep hoping that the offense will wake up. No sign of life yet.

Last edited by ISUAlum2002; 10-16-2006 at 05:58 PM.

Walk On
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Points agreed. I can live with losing if we are competitive and play to our potential. Yes Potential. We have played 6 games and have not looked good or improved in anyone of them.

This team has talent and we are wasting it away. There is absolutely no reason why our offense shouldn't be scoring at least 21 points per outing.

Why don't we audible? Why don't we run a slant route when we know the blitz is coming. High school teams can figure this out...

Drews79

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 607
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

Yo Trav.....after reading your whole post in its entirety, I'm still trying to figure out what it is you're trying to say.

You say in your overall analysis that we should be content to be 3-4, since that is at least close to being in line with expectations. Then you do a 180 and say come to think of it, we could easily be winless. What? Certainly winless at this point is nowhere near our expectations. We know you don't want the fire Mac police out......but other than that I'm confused with your analysis.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Drews79 View Post
    Why don't we audible? Why don't we run a slant route when we know the blitz is coming. High school teams can figure this out...
    I don't honestly think Meyer knows how to go through his progressions or read a defense all that well. 5 step drop, look at receiver, look at same receiver, look at same receiver, okay no throw to same receiver. A high school defense can probably defend against this.

ISU Bet

Addict
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,955
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by Ficklone02 View Post
    Yo Trav.....after reading your whole post in its entirety, I'm still trying to figure out what it is you're trying to say.

You say in your overall analysis that we should be content to be 3-4, since that is at least close to being in line with expectations. Then you do a 180 and say come to think of it, we could easily be winless. What? Certainly winless at this point is nowhere near our expectations. We know you don't want the fire Mac police out......but other than that I'm confused with your analysis.
    What I'm trying to say is that while we shouldn't be content with how we have looked while going 3-4, but it's really not that far off from what we should have expected so we shouldn't be too worked up and calling for Mac's head so soon. We are lucky we aren't 0-7 because we are basically 3 plays away from being that. Take a look at those 4 losses and tell me if we really would have won any of those games. The Iowa game, maybe if the offense could have keept it going but we flat out got smoked at Texas and OU and while I think Nebraska is not a great team, that's a game we usually don't win anyways.

I want us to win and take that next step just as bad as everyone else but sometimes you have to step back and take a look at the big picture and realize you don't go from doormat to an every year Big 12 powerhouse overnight. Let this season play out some more, we should know this from the past 2 seasons that it ain't over till the last game...

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 213

I agree that we shouldn't be calling for D-Mac's head right now...but we far, far away from where this team should be right now. Our offense is nothing short of embarrassing now and while our defense is young, we shouldn't be one of the worst in the country - as we are.

And I don't care about the "we could make a run". At this point, we have shown nothing, absolutely nothing that leads me to believe a run will be made. I hope I'm wrong and will cheer 100% for that. But we made runs in 2004 and 2005 and while losing - we didn't look inept. We've looked inept on the offensive line and inept while attempting to tackle on defense.

I'm going to post a stat that will make all of you sick here in a moment (it'll be a separate thread.). Bring your barf bags.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

This team reminds me of the 03 team. No spark. The 04 team was frustrating early, but you could see improvement each week. You simply do not see that improvement or really any desire to get better with this team.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

If Bret wants to go pro, he better begin to read the defenses.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 95

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    If Bret wants to go pro, he better begin to read the defenses.
    I think he reads defenses fine, I think its just that the coaches won't let him change the plays when he sees that the play they have called won't work against the defense that is set up against them.

I mean, really. Bret has played every game of his collegiate career, and is a second year captain as a junior, but he can't audible out of plays that are obviously not going to work? Do the coaches really not trust him at all?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

We need turnovers because the oline cannot block their way out of a fudge factory.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.