Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jaegerschnitzel

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Jaegerschnitzel

There was a post earlier this week, that made an allusion to how poor German food and cookery is. I was inspired by that post, to make one of my favorite German meals last night, and my belief in the sheer awesomeness of German food done correctly was revalidated by the results. Here is the recipe, if anyone is interested in replicating it.

4 x porkloin slices
    1 x cup flour
    1 x cup cornmeal
    2 x eggs
    Salt and pepper to taste.
    Enough oil to float the pork loins.

1 x pound fresh mushrooms
    2 x dried mushroom soup packets, reconstituted with water or enough canned mushroom soup to approximate the amount of sauce you'd like.
    3 x tbsp butter

Your favorite starch, such as french fries, roasted potatoes or spaetzle, if you can get it.

Slice the mushrooms, put aside. Start warming the mushroom soup mix on low. Pound the porkloin slices until they are 1/4" thick. Saute the mushrooms in butter. While the mushrooms are sauteeing, preheat the oil, and dip the pounded porkloins in flour, then egg, then cornmeal and put in the oil, once it is hot. (I like to run my stovetop on 7 out of 10 settings)

It should take 3-5 minutes per side to do the schnitzel, once they are done, put them on a paper towel on a plate and reserve them to the oven set at 200 F to keep them warm and to drive away some of the oil.

Sometime during this time, the mushrooms should be sauteed and should be introduced into the soup mix, which you need to stir occasionally.

You want to time your starch to coincide with your frying process, serve the mushroom sauce over both the starch and the schnitzel, and put a side of steamed cabbage with, if you'd like.

Once you get the breading/frying down, this is a delightful meal, especially when served with a good Bock beer. Simple, but nice.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Pro
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,044
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 3

Re: Jaegerschnitzel

screw the german food, ill take a german beer....... nothing beats a warsteiner

There are not many crowds or places in the country that have a better impact on the game than at Iowa State. The Cyclone fans are truly a sixth man. The place is so loud and always a fantastic crowd." - Former Kansas and current North Carolina head coach Roy Williams

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by whirlybirds View Post
    You "do" know, that Warsteiner is the "Old Milwaukee Ice" of German beers, in Germany, don't you?

The best German beer is brewed on the spot, aged properly, and served to you without having been exposed to sunlight, or someone beating the daylights out of it going from manufacturer, to warehouse, and trucked to a store where min. wage types drop it a couple of times.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Addict Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

And ruin it with a fries picture... lets americanize it -its served with spatzle (home-made thats including the Spaztle drucker or REAL german potato salad-like my mom (100% German) used to make.

Last edited by Dave19642006; 03-07-2008 at 06:23 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 250
    Given: 373

I have a question. I work where we make Kosher meat, and I was wondering what the word schnitzel actually means. It seems like if we don't have a name for something, we just call it schnitzel. The closest I could guess is that it came from the thigh of different animals. If that is true though, then your recipe would not make sence. Just wondering?

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Dave19642006 View Post
    And ruin it with a fries picture... lets americanize it -its served with spatzle (home-made thats including the Spaztle drucker or REAL german potato salad-like my mom (100% German) used to make.
    Oddly enough, most German restaurants I go to serve it with fries, now. I loooove spaetzle, though, to sop up the mushroom gravy. And don't get me wrong, German fries are something special.

As a very close second, I like the gebraten kartoffeln (pan fried potates) with bacon and cumin with my schnitzel.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by peteypie View Post
    I have a question. I work where we make Kosher meat, and I was wondering what the word schnitzel actually means. It seems like if we don't have a name for something, we just call it schnitzel. The closest I could guess is that it came from the thigh of different animals. If that is true though, then your recipe would not make sence. Just wondering?
    Schnitzel = Cutlet, in English. both are diminutives of the word "to cut".

In German, the word "Schnitten" means to cut, so "Schnitzel" means "small cut". So, it's a small cut of meat.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 250
    Given: 373

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Schnitzel = Cutlet, in English. both are diminutives of the word "to cut".

In German, the word "Schnitten" means to cut, so "Schnitzel" means "small cut". So, it's a small cut of meat.
    Thank you wise one, now I know, and I can pretend that I'm the smart one. Sometimes we use it when we make cutlets, but sometimes it is just a small piece of meat, so again I think we when we don't have another name for it.......................Schnitzel! But thank you

Speechless
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 474
    Given: 324

Quote Originally Posted by whirlybirds View Post
    Except for a LowenbraŁ...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Starter
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 350
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

If anyone is heading through the Quad Cities, you should try the Lodge, a German castle/restaurant, they serve Spaetzle, Jaegerschnitzel, Wienerschnitzel, und so weiter...

I also think the Bierstube is pretty cool - you can try all kinds of German beer there.

I suppose DM has similar establishments.

Addict
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,434
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29

I love German food and beer.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 109
    Given: 129

Boiled potatoes and red cabbage with beef=excellent.
    When I was in Germany every host family I stayed with had Warsteiner.
    Nothing like sitting on the streets of Eisenach sorrounded by "mountains" and eating a Thuringer sausage with a bun that covers a quarter of it with a thin strip of mustard and sipping back on a Schwarzen Drakken.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Addict
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,434
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29

This makes we want to head to the Hessen House for Dinner tonight. I wish that smoking ban would hurry up. It is tough to move from a smoke free state to a smoking state.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 109
    Given: 129

On a seperate trip to Deutschland, I spent some time in Hamburg and the group I was with ran a football camp for jr high kids. I loved it when they were done, the parents busted out the coolers (we were expecting Gatorade or Capri-sun like the soccer moms have here after games). Instead the coolers were full of beer. Great.
    One night our hosts took us down to walk us through the red light district. If you haven't been there, that is something to experience. Little store fronts with hookers sitting in every window and the windows open up for "negotiations." Our host was mocking a rather large lady in a storefront in English saying "Hey, look at the farmer's daughter! You have lots of those in Iowa, hey?"

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 474
    Given: 324

Quote Originally Posted by hoosman View Post
    If anyone is heading through the Quad Cities, you should try the Lodge, a German castle/restaurant, they serve Spaetzle, Jaegerschnitzel, Wienerschnitzel, und so weiter...

I also think the Bierstube is pretty cool - you can try all kinds of German beer there.

I suppose DM has similar establishments.
    Never done The Lodge, but I have done the Bier Stube. That place is friggin' awesome! One nite a buddy of mine was having a really bad day. They brought him a liter of Lowenbraü - A big childish grin erupted on his face. IIRC he ziggy-zoggied half of it...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.