Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Some schools are paying kids to get good grades. Is this a good idea?

School districts nationwide have seized on the idea that a key to improving schools is to pay for performance, whether through bonuses for teachers and principals, or rewards like cash prizes for students. New York City, with the largest public school system in the country, is in the forefront of this movement, with more than 200 schools experimenting with one incentive or another. In more than a dozen schools, students, teachers and principals are all eligible for extra money, based on students’ performance on standardized tests.

Can money make academic success cool for students disdainful of achievement? Will teachers pressure one another to do better to get a schoolwide bonus?

So far, the city has handed out more than $500,000 to 5,237 students in 58 schools as rewards for taking several of the 10 standardized tests on the schedule for this school year. The schools, which had to choose to participate in the program, are all over the city.

“I’m not saying I know this is going to fix everything,” said Roland G. Fryer, the Harvard economist who designed the student incentive program, “but I am saying it’s worth trying. What we need to try to do is start that spark.”

Link:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/05/ny...=1&oref=slogin

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

Pro
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 45

Re: Some schools are paying kids to get good grades. Is this a good idea?

I'm all for the incentive based programs for teachers, but lay off the kids. If anybody should be bribing the kids for grades it's the parents.

Cyclone
    Iowa State became the Cyclones after they leveled Northwestern in 1895. As the Chicago Tribune (9/29/1895) noted:
    'Struck by a Cyclone
    It Comes from Iowa and Devastates Evanston Town'

Addict
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 959
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    School districts nationwide have seized on the idea that a key to improving schools is to pay for performance, whether through bonuses for teachers and principals, or rewards like cash prizes for students. New York City, with the largest public school system in the country, is in the forefront of this movement, with more than 200 schools experimenting with one incentive or another. In more than a dozen schools, students, teachers and principals are all eligible for extra money, based on students’ performance on standardized tests.

Can money make academic success cool for students disdainful of achievement? Will teachers pressure one another to do better to get a schoolwide bonus?

So far, the city has handed out more than $500,000 to 5,237 students in 58 schools as rewards for taking several of the 10 standardized tests on the schedule for this school year. The schools, which had to choose to participate in the program, are all over the city.

“I’m not saying I know this is going to fix everything,” said Roland G. Fryer, the Harvard economist who designed the student incentive program, “but I am saying it’s worth trying. What we need to try to do is start that spark.”

Link:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/05/ny...=1&oref=slogin

As a teacher I say this is a bad thing. I am not for teacher pay based on student performance. Also much of the student performances are based on "High Stakes Testing" I am not a fan of this idea.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 21

this is dumb... i think they should stick with the star sticker system hahaha

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Pro
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 32

They better hope that none of the kids that receive money want to play college sports.

Rookie
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 668
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Personally, I don't like it. Teachers shouldn't need incentives to do the best of their abilities. Plus you can have some of the best teachers in the world, but if you don't have the students that are willing to learn, then it doesn't mean much.

When it comes to student incentives, what the heck are you rewarding? GPA? Then you would have a bunch of shop class kids that have no interest in furthering their education making money for simply showing up (sometimes not even that). The kids taking hard classes preparing for college may suffer.

I'd say if anything, provide incentives in the form of scholarship funds. Make the rewards weighted for types of classes taken/classes planned to be taken in college.

"I'm starting to think some Iowa fans heads are getting too big." -- Tigerhawk22

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by ZJohnson View Post
    They better hope that none of the kids that receive money want to play college sports.

year
    Iowa State sings Joe Smith

"NCAA suspends Joe Smith for accepting Money for grades while playing for his 4th grade basketball team"

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 615
    Given: 2,492

But who didn't love Book-It?

M 7/09

Starter
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I hate the idea of giving kids money for good grades. I think it sets a standard to the child that they should only do things if there is a reward attached. The kid will go through life avoiding things that he or she can't see monetary gain from. Whatever happened to just doing the right thing? I worked to get good grades in school because I knew it made my parents happy and I wanted to return some of the gratitude they had given me. I also knew that getting good grades can lead to success; although, this is not an absolute rule, obviously.

TRUE & VALIANT

All-Star
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post

I can't tell you how many times I didn't get my own personal pan pizza because I didn't read the books, like my friends did. I still have my old button, which has 1 of 5 stars on it...

While my friends were munching down their tiny cheese pizzas I always had to eat what the grown ups were eating, which wasn't nearly as cool.

square root(31) = 5.56776436
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 615
    Given: 2,492

Quote Originally Posted by ISUboi12 View Post
    I can't tell you how many times I didn't get my own personal pan pizza because I didn't read the books, like my friends did. I still have my old button, which has 1 of 5 stars on it...

While my friends were munching down their tiny cheese pizzas I always had to eat what the grown ups were eating, which wasn't nearly as cool.
    I was a nerd, so I usually overdid it a little... but I don't remember the rules. Couldn't you get your parents to lie for you? Uncool to make you eat the regular food!

M 7/09

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cymaster View Post
    Personally, I don't like it. Teachers shouldn't need incentives to do the best of their abilities. Plus you can have some of the best teachers in the world, but if you don't have the students that are willing to learn, then it doesn't mean much.
    Why should teachers be any different than any other profession? I think it is discouraging to put forth effort that others aren't, yet get rewarded the same.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. ~ George Carlin

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life:
    The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves Orcs. ~ John Rogers

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CloneAggie View Post
    Why should teachers be any different than any other profession? I think it is discouraging to put forth effort that others aren't, yet get rewarded the same.
    He said they SHOULDN'T need incentives. I agree they shouldn't need incentives either. I know that I don't teach to get paid tons of money. Thats not why I do what I do. I also know that different kids have different abilities, attitudes, and home lives that affect thier learning and performance on tests.

All-Star
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I was a nerd, so I usually overdid it a little... but I don't remember the rules. Couldn't you get your parents to lie for you? Uncool to make you eat the regular food!
    You gave people like me a bad rep. We are now enemies.

If there was a loophole in the system like that, I would have figured it out. I know that the other guys in my class were reading books like Curious George. If I was unwilling to put forth the minimal effort I probably deserved the big pizza.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Love this program and use it in my classroom. Thank you Pizza Hut. For some reason below average parents will get involved for a free personal pan pizza.