Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 152

More changes on defense...Harris to start at FS

From D-Mac's Monday presser...

Steve Johnson will now start at CB opposite of Singleton. I think this will be a good move and shows us our future shut down corner.

FS will now be Jason Harris. I'm very nervous with this one.

Edit - DMR Link

A former tailback will replace cornerback DeAndre Jackson in Iowa State's secondary during Saturday's 2:30 p.m. game against Texas Tech at Jack Trice Stadium in Ames.

Jason Harris, who started the season as Stevie Hicks' backup at tailback, now starts in the secondary after Jackson tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee during Saturday's 34-9 loss at Oklahoma.

Harris, a sophomore, gained 40 yards on 11 carries in five games last season as a tailback. He moved to the secondary during fall workouts.

He is a former Florida high school first-team all-state selection as a defensive back.
    The Register does not have it completely correct yet...but they got the idea anyway.

Last edited by ISUFan22; 10-16-2006 at 11:54 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 722
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: More changes on defense...Harris to start at FS

you know, at this point this is probably a good move. At least these guys will get some real experience at their future positions. It's not like we're going to compete for a title at this point in the season anyway - may as well try these guys out.

Starter
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

How about a change at SS? Berg might be the worst college football player I have ever seen.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65

I like the move. I'm nervous about our prospects the rest of the year with this defensive backfield, but it probably has our best athletes, and there is nobody over sophomore age (once Smith comes back) anywhere in the backfield. That gives us at least 2 more years with the current backfield.

Frankly, I wouldn't care if they just shelved all of the underperforming players to give us a chance to develop some younger talent, also, to show people that nobodies job is safe.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I know Harris was a stud in the secondary in high school, but I'm very, very nervous about this. Midway through the season and we've got our 3rd starter at free safety (Banks/Johnson/Harris).

And our 2nd starter being moved from a different position. Ugh.

I look forward to watching Johnson at corner. I think he'll be our next shut-down guy with all the hype we've heard about him. He'll basically be a 4 year starter for us...so by year 3 and 4...he aught to be a stud playing under Coach Ash.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mharder View Post
    How about a change at SS? Berg might be the worst college football player I have ever seen.
    I do believe James Smith finally cracked the depth chart at #2 under Berg. Hopefully that means we'll see him on the field vs. Tech and the starter the following week.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 284
    Given: 244

Quote Originally Posted by TheHelgo View Post
    you know, at this point this is probably a good move. At least these guys will get some real experience at their future positions. It's not like we're going to compete for a title at this point in the season anyway - may as well try these guys out.
    Building for next season - Tierre Green of Nebraska and Coutney Grixby were really tailbacks in high school more than anything else.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Starter
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

One thing... I read somewhere that Jason Harris wasn't really a defensive back much in high school but much more of a running back... sometimes those all state teams are skewed because there's so many good players in Florida and they want to find a place to put the better ones on an all state team, but they sometimes do so at a position that isn't their primary one. I'm sure he played a bit of dback and I know colleges were recruiting him as one, but I'm not sure he was really an all state level defensive back in Florida in high school. If anything maybe he had the potential to be. Or I could be completely wrong.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by markshir View Post
    One thing... I read somewhere that Jason Harris wasn't really a defensive back much in high school but much more of a running back... sometimes those all state teams are skewed because there's so many good players in Florida and they want to find a place to put the better ones on an all state team, but they sometimes do so at a position that isn't their primary one. I'm sure he played a bit of dback and I know colleges were recruiting him as one, but I'm not sure he was really an all state level defensive back in Florida in high school. If anything maybe he had the potential to be. Or I could be completely wrong.
    In Jason's defense, was a Florida All-State DB in high school. See the DMR article.

However, I just haven't seen "it" from Jason to prove to me he's a tough football player that has the drive needed to win. Plus, if the staff moved a corner over to play safety instead of playing they guy that actually was designed to be the back-up - that tells me Jason isn't ready.

Now they have no choice to play him with Jackson down. I hope I'm wrong about Harris and he develops into a good player. Regardless, I think this year will be rough for him back there.

Last edited by ISUFan22; 10-16-2006 at 12:29 PM.

Starter
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 586
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

So true. I really don't see how he gets the PT that he does. If Dan is trying to create another Nik Moser he has to look for someone else.

At the Nebraska game, a student sitting behind me put it best while Nebraska was marching on their final TD drive: (in a calm, but defeated voice) "Caleb Berg is so bad it's embarrassing."

I couldn't agree more. Every missed tackle and "accepted" block I see Berg take it makes me cringe that he doesn't find his home on the sideline.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by joskvig View Post
    So true. I really don't see how he gets the PT that he does. If Dan is trying to create another Nik Moser he has to look for someone else.

At the Nebraska game, a student sitting behind me put it best while Nebraska was marching on their final TD drive: (in a calm, but defeated voice) "Caleb Berg is so bad it's embarrassing."

I couldn't agree more. Every missed tackle and "accepted" block I see Berg take it makes me cringe that he doesn't find his home on the sideline.
    At the spring practices I attended, Coach Ash rode Berg hard, I mean hard. Berg was always getting the ire of Coach Ash.

I remember thinking, I hope we don't need him to play much this season.

Whoops!

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Berg plays b/c Smith is hurt and the backups are not any better. We are very thin defensively. That and oline are my two biggest gripes against this coaching staff. We shouldn't be this thin in year 12. We have some very talented players in the 1's, but wow talk about drop off. Strike the talented 1's regarding Oline, but drop off is true.

All-Star
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 9

Unhappy Re: More changes on defense...Harris to start at FS

I feel sorry for Berg; he's done some nice work on special teams but he's obviously over-matched at SS. I've never coached football and I'm 25 years removed from a less-than-stellar HS career, so what I notice has to be taken with a grain of salt! In short, feel free to correct me, but here goes:

Berg Observation #1: In game #1 he appeared to be assigned the Toledo TE, but was playing so far off he was never in a position to make a play. The guy had a career day.

#2: From the stands in Iowa City, I watched in horror as Berg was 12+ yards off the line of scrimmage while Iowa came set on 3rd & three. They repeatedly ran the little WR screens and Caleb was nowhere to be seen...

It's entirely possible that I'm wrong and neither of these were Berg's responsibility, but it looked like it was his play to make and he wasn't in position to do it. I really don't remember him making any plays on a ball in the air and he hasn't been a strong run-support guy either. In my opinion, he's the weakest link in an already weak defensive chain. I welcome any and all defensive changes on the premise that they really can't be much worse than they've been...

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Yea with Smith in the two deeps now it could help calm down Harris, if Smith is ready to beat out Berg, tat least we have 3 safeties who have played at least some between Safety and Nickel coverage, I know I have seen Harris in a lot lately, and Hunley played quite a bit earlier in the year. It should be interesting. Too bad no changes on the depth chart at O-Line, every position needs to be open because we out god awful!!!!

Big Shawn, Super Clone!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 284
    Given: 244

Quote Originally Posted by JCloned View Post
    Berg plays b/c Smith is hurt and the backups are not any better. We are very thin defensively. That and oline are my two biggest gripes against this coaching staff. We shouldn't be this thin in year 12. We have some very talented players in the 1's, but wow talk about drop off. Strike the talented 1's regarding Oline, but drop off is true.
    Maybe he is slow and they want to use to slow the person down for the linebackers coming out or he is only a duck decoy drawing the receivers into his area.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.