Homesick Athletes
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 350,914, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    isucyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    19,874
    Points
    350,914
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 2

    Homesick Athletes

    Did you guys know that Jeff Grayer almost didn't return to ISU after the first semester of his freshman year?

    He talks about it on the 100 Years DVD, and credited Barry Stevens for talking him into coming back. I had never heard this, and it was stunning to me thinking about what the consequences may have been for our program.

    It really puts into perspective Vette's situation, and others who struggle with this. I think everyone is homesick to an extent when going off to college, but some more than others, and they shouldn't be ostracized for this.


    Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

  2. #2
    Starter
    Points: 9,649, Level: 29
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 301
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    hort4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Randalia, IA
    Posts
    715
    Points
    9,649
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Homesick Athletes

    It really doesn't surprise me that athletes get homesick, maybe even more than the typical student. Unlike Vette's situation most athletes, especially in the high profile sports, are probably further from home than most students and the demands on them are more during the school year/sport season so they can't go home for a visit.
    We all need to remember that these high profile athletes are young kids, 18-19 years old, and the pressure on them is immense.



  3. #3
    Starter
    Points: 13,656, Level: 35
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 394
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    811
    Points
    13,656
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 3

    Re: Homesick Athletes

    Quote Originally Posted by isucyfan View Post
    Did you guys know that Jeff Grayer almost didn't return to ISU after the first semester of his freshman year?

    He talks about it on the 100 Years DVD, and credited Barry Stevens for talking him into coming back. I had never heard this, and it was stunning to me thinking about what the consequences may have been for our program.

    It really puts into perspective Vette's situation, and others who struggle with this. I think everyone is homesick to an extent when going off to college, but some more than others, and they shouldn't be ostracized for this.
    He was homesick and went home to visit his mom. Can't remember if he missed some games or if it was just over break. I do vividly remember being at the game in Columbia when the Antlers were taunting him with "momma's boy" incessantly during pregame warm ups. He went up into the stands ready to rip someone's head off. Luckily cooler heads prevailed.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 350,914, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    isucyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    19,874
    Points
    350,914
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 2

    Re: Homesick Athletes

    Quote Originally Posted by c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s View Post
    He was homesick and went home to visit his mom. Can't remember if he missed some games or if it was just over break. I do vividly remember being at the game in Columbia when the Antlers were taunting him with "momma's boy" incessantly during pregame warm ups. He went up into the stands ready to rip someone's head off. Luckily cooler heads prevailed.
    I remember that, too. The Antlers were horrible to him, but I thought it was about something besides being a "Momma's Boy"...I thought they were saying nasty things about his mom.


    Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

  5. #5
    Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Reinbeck, Iowa
    Posts
    315
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Homesick Athletes

    I thought he got upset because his mom was ill or something. I think he said you can say anything you want about me, but leave my mom out of this. I think that is how it went.



  6. #6
    Starter
    Points: 13,656, Level: 35
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 394
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    811
    Points
    13,656
    Level
    35
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 3

    Re: Homesick Athletes

    Quote Originally Posted by isucyfan View Post
    I remember that, too. The Antlers were horrible to him, but I thought it was about something besides being a "Momma's Boy"...I thought they were saying nasty things about his mom.
    You are probably right. I was way up in the nosebleed seats and it was a long time ago. I do remember the "momma's boy" chant, but they were right there at center court and could have been saying much worse stuff. It wouldn't surprise me at all.



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 155,076, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,680
    Points
    155,076
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 185
    Given: 57

    Re: Homesick Athletes

    Quote Originally Posted by hort4cy View Post
    It really doesn't surprise me that athletes get homesick, maybe even more than the typical student. Unlike Vette's situation most athletes, especially in the high profile sports, are probably further from home than most students and the demands on them are more during the school year/sport season so they can't go home for a visit.
    We all need to remember that these high profile athletes are young kids, 18-19 years old, and the pressure on them is immense.
    Not as immense as the pressure on 18-19 yeat old kids to stay alive in Iraq. These kids get a free education at an outstanding university can can go home or have loved ones visit often. Suck it up, be a man, go to class and play ball.


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 350,914, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    isucyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Saint Paul, MN
    Posts
    19,874
    Points
    350,914
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 2

    Re: Homesick Athletes

    Quote Originally Posted by weR138 View Post
    Not as immense as the pressure on 18-19 yeat old kids to stay alive in Iraq. These kids get a free education at an outstanding university can can go home or have loved ones visit often. Suck it up, be a man, go to class and play ball.
    Yes, but when you sign up for the military, I think you have an idea that you may be shipping off. Also, you don't have a choice to do anything else but suck it up. I'm sure there are a lot of soldiers who would come home if they could or transfer to a better place.

    Unfair comparison, IMO.


    Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 146,976, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    cybsball20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    12,718
    Points
    146,976
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 34

    Re: Homesick Athletes

    It's Division I sportsl! It's the Big 12! It ain't intramurals,"

    "You got two weeks after finals. You get a week at July 4. You get a week before camp starts. That's a month. That's probably more vacation than you guys [reporters] get. And we're a little bummed out that we don't get three weeks? Go play intramurals, brother. Go play."

    **thats more time off than I ever got...



    Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

    Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

    and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 734,932, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Cyclonepride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    A pineapple under the sea
    Posts
    49,069
    Points
    734,932
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,185
    Given: 1,040

    Re: Homesick Athletes

    I just received that DVD a couple days ago, but I haven't had time to watch it. I really, really need to find time to do that!



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 155,076, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,680
    Points
    155,076
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 185
    Given: 57

    Re: Homesick Athletes

    Quote Originally Posted by isucyfan View Post
    Yes, but when you sign up for the military, I think you have an idea that you may be shipping off. Also, you don't have a choice to do anything else but suck it up. I'm sure there are a lot of soldiers who would come home if they could or transfer to a better place.

    Unfair comparison, IMO.
    Your're right. It is an unfair comparrison. I was just trying to illustrate the point that 18-19 year olds aren't kids. They're adults. Unless of course you're an iowa hawkeye and you get arrested, then you're "just a kid".


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM