Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 215

Too Many "Stars" on Offense?

Read this clip from Peter King's MMQB column...

I think I hate to do this. I really do. We're in Week 6 of the football season, but I have to give some advice to Joe Torre and Brian Cashman right now, because they are decent men, even if they do work for the Evil Empire. Get in a car sometime this month, and drive 3 hours up I-95 to Foxboro. Visit the Patriots. Or if you're inclined to go a place where you might be more invisible, fly to Chicago, rent a car and drive north to Lake Forest, where the Bears are headquartered. Learn how to build a winning team and how to navigate through the noise that disrupts every big-market team today.
    Football isn't baseball, you'll argue. Football is the ultimate team game, and baseball is more of a stars' game. But the one thing all good baseball teams have is the one thing all good football teams have -- role players. Guys who don't need the credit and who don't earn the big money. In baseball, David Eckstein is a winning player, much the same as Mike Vrabel is. It wasn't so long ago that both of them were on the street. The best team in football right now is the Chicago Bears. Look at their roster. Ever hear of Bernard Berrian, Rashied Davis, Mark Anderson, Tank Johnson, Alfonso Boone or Jason McKie? Don't feel bad. Not many football fans have, either.

Those are six of the 25 or 30 most important players on the team rampaging its way through the NFL right now. I'm guessing their combined salaries equal one month of Alex Rodriguez's. This is what Bears GM Jerry Angelo told me the other day: "One of the things I learned from the Patriots and Steelers in the last few years is they lost more than they gained in free agency, and they never were worried about it. They drafted rank-and-file players, developed them, were patient with them, knew the exact roles they wanted them to play and put them in those roles. Dan Graham, Asante Samuel, Eugene Wilson ... are any of them stars? No. Are they Patriots players? Yes. And that's all they care about.''

Before this season, Angelo was assailed for not getting a big-name receiver in free agency. He was in the game for Antwaan Randle El but didn't think he was worth $6 million a year, and lost him to Washington. "I got hammered by the local media for not getting a good receiver,'' he said, "but I said, 'Guys, we've got good receivers here. They fit the profile of what we want in a receiver.' But because we'd done a poor job of stabilizing the quarterback position, you couldn't tell what we had at receiver. We'd gone for five years playing three or four quarterbacks almost every year. How do you know if your receivers are any good? They never work with the same quarterback. Now that we've had Rex for an offseason and he's been healthy for the regular season, now we can judge the receivers. And what we have is pretty good.'' To say the least. It's a lesson for all other franchises, regardless of the sport.
    In the middle of reading this I couldn't help but immediately think of our Cyclone offense. Now, I know just a couple of these guys have a chance of playing in the NFL but when you look at it and read all the pre-season hype - we've got plenty of stars on offense.

Perhaps, too many. Or, guys that just don't come together well. Look at the Redskins - they've got some really good players in the skill positions except for QB. Brunell is still good, but getting old. Regardless, these guys can't win because they're not coming together as a team.

The Bears, they don't have big-time players with big names. They've just solidified as a team and are dominating right now.

I wonder if our Cyclones have too many egos and not enough role players. While I love Blythe, I am seeing too much frustration from him and poor blocking when called upon. That's not our Todd Blythe. I know it's tough for him right now, but he's gotta sack up and take his lumps - it'll pay off.

Hopefully this offense realized they're not ***** until they prove it on the field. Get back to the basics - protect the QB, run hard, crisp routes, catch the ball and when faced with 3rd and 1 - hit the damn hole hard.

Fame will come after wins and in a team format.

Addict
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 275
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Re: Too Many "Stars" on Offense?

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Read this clip from Peter King's MMQB column...

In the middle of reading this I couldn't help but immediately think of our Cyclone offense. Now, I know just a couple of these guys have a chance of playing in the NFL but when you look at it and read all the pre-season hype - we've got plenty of stars on offense.

Perhaps, too many. Or, guys that just don't come together well. Look at the Redskins - they've got some really good players in the skill positions except for QB. Brunell is still good, but getting old. Regardless, these guys can't win because they're not coming together as a team.

The Bears, they don't have big-time players with big names. They've just solidified as a team and are dominating right now.

I wonder if our Cyclones have too many egos and not enough role players. While I love Blythe, I am seeing too much frustration from him and poor blocking when called upon. That's not our Todd Blythe. I know it's tough for him right now, but he's gotta sack up and take his lumps - it'll pay off.

Hopefully this offense realized they're not ***** until they prove it on the field. Get back to the basics - protect the QB, run hard, crisp routes, catch the ball and when faced with 3rd and 1 - hit the damn hole hard.

Fame will come after wins and in a team format.
    Exactly!!

Addict
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 175
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 85

The only 2 people on the offense that could think they are stars would be Meyer and Blythe. I don't know that any of the others have done anything worth getting a big head over that we should be concerned about an overload of stars...

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by nj829 View Post
    The only 2 people on the offense that could think they are stars would be Meyer and Blythe. I don't know that any of the others have done anything worth getting a big head over that we should be concerned about an overload of stars...
    Right, but listen to what our offense heard all off-season...

- Almost all senior offensive line. Should be much better than last year.

- If Hicks had been healthy in '05, the Cyclones win more games. Hicks is the key to 2006.

- One of the best wide receiver corps in the nation. Blythe is a stud, Flynn led the team in receptions and makes an amazing come-back from the injury. Sumrall is a very fast track guy, should burn most DB's.

- Meyer is the best QB in the Big 12. Should be easy throwing to all those receivers.

Me thinks the heads were too big and they have not allowed them to deflate. Time to pop the balloons and get back to business.

Recruit
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 423
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

your crazy. not many people across the country have even heard of our guys. those are comments from people such as yourself. to many stars. we dont have one all american on the offense. whose the star. yes blythe could be but cmon.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clonestotop View Post
    your crazy. not many people across the country have even heard of our guys. those are comments from people such as yourself. to many stars. we dont have one all american on the offense. whose the star. yes blythe could be but cmon.
    BS. The national media tabbed the ISU receivers as one of the best in the nation, Blythe one of the top in the country and Meyer the best Big 12 QB. So it wasn't just me.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 357

We are noted for our Alvin (Brown) Bowen this year.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 275
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

I dont think ISUFann22 was speaking on the lines of All-Americans. Just more of good players that can impact the team.

Bowen, Mckenzie, Curvey are all impact players, but are not All-Americans. Those guys would be our "stars" compared to others on the that side of the ball.

so looking at the offensive side of the ball:
    Meyer, Hicks, Blythe, Davis, Flynn, Brant, Stephenson are all our stars. Hell the whole Offense could be, considering the are all the same as last year. So all them are trying to do to much themselves instead of working as a team.

But correct me if I am wrong ISUFan22.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah, you got it right. Maybe I should have explained it better....

The general theme...

This offense is not playing together.

Rookie
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 688
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I was talking with my dad about the problems ISU has had. He basically said that because we have so much talent at the WR position, the coaching staff is trying to get them all on the field it seems. That is not ISU football. ISU football has been 11 SELFless guys on the field who don't care about individual stats. What they care about is winning. They 2000 team was a great example of that. We may not have had the best talent, but we had the best TEAM. Harklau, Avey, Sage....all guys who put it all out there every play, every game for 4 years.

I wonder if because we have all these recievers, we are going away from what we ran last year. With that note...What happened to the formations we ran Meyers freshman year?! Hicks and Scales in the backfield, running the Zone Reads, having two excellent blockers back there. Jon Davis running reverses. Why did we abandon that stuff? This would get Juice into the game as well, get his feet wet in big time football. I thought we did so many things well 3 years ago with getting everyone involved and making things simple for Meyer.

Also, I'm sure someone else brought it up, but is Meyer not allowed to check off? So many times you can see the blitz coming, before the snap, and its like he wants to check off because you see him pause, but then we just run the play and it gets blown up. His decision making has been shaky all year. I remember him last year throwing the ball away when there wasn't anything and now he is forcing it and not making good decisions.

One final thing. Do we have to have the huge long roll outs and QB waggles when we run play action?? It seems to me that is when we get in the worst positions. Meyer doesn't have a lot of time to begin with, so why run something that takes forever to develop. What about us running short routes? We run everything to the sideline and deep, and thats where Meyer looks first, then he comes back to the shorter stuff and by that time the defense has reacted. Why not start short and middle, make the defense honor that and then the sideline and deep stuff will be open....

Just some thoughts.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cgwarrior33 View Post
    I wonder if because we have all these recievers, we are going away from what we ran last year. With that note...What happened to the formations we ran Meyers freshman year?! Hicks and Scales in the backfield, running the Zone Reads, having two excellent blockers back there. Jon Davis running reverses. Why did we abandon that stuff? This would get Juice into the game as well, get his feet wet in big time football. I thought we did so many things well 3 years ago with getting everyone involved and making things simple for Meyer.
    You need not look any further than the reverse to Sumrall from the NU game to see why we're not running more reverses and such. We just can't block.

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Once again, I failed to be specific. We used to run the fakes off of it, to set it up. I liked how we used more motion on saturday.

As a defender when someone goes in motion that doesn't normally go in motion, an alarm is going to go off in my head. Running the fake may help to slow down the rush as well as they may.....keyword being may....have to honor it for at first and it will slow them down.

I hated the double screen that we ran on saturday!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Once again, I failed to be specific. We used to run the fakes off of it, to set it up. I liked how we used more motion on saturday.

As a defender when someone goes in motion that doesn't normally go in motion, an alarm is going to go off in my head. Running the fake may help to slow down the rush as well as they may.....keyword being may....have to honor it for at first and it will slow them down.

I hated the double screen that we ran on saturday!

What dontcha understand about "we can't block". We could run a half-back pass, wide receiver reverse pass, statue of liberty, fumblerooski, etc. Few, if any would work because we can't block.

That screen play? Was called at THE perfect time. It failed because our line didn't block it. They couldn't even muster a half-a** job of blocking it - they just completely whiffed.

Not many plays work in spite of horrible blocking.

You need to be successful at the basics before you can get creative. Our basics are very average at best. When we try to get creative, it looks like a train wreck.

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I understand that we can't block. I never said anywhere that we can. Our O-Line footwork is terrible. Our O-Line problems aren't going to be fixed this year. Right now defenses are just turning loose because they know we can't block. I am not saying we run the gimmicks. If we run the guy in motion, like we did with J.J., the defense sees that, they have to slow up and keep contain. It also gives Meyer a dump off reciever because the person who is supposed to be out in the flat is busy being our best blocker.

The screen pass would be a great play call if we had athletic lineman who can get out and run. The screen play will get blown up if we don't have lineman who are fast enough to get out their. The timing was perfect, great play call, but we don't have the personel to run the double screen.

I know we are terrible blockers. We run MAX PROTECT on a QB draw! We need to do something to help our lineman out. I did like Luke Vander Sanden's point of opening all the O-Line positions up for grabs and see if that lights a fire under them.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I understand that we can't block. I never said anywhere that we can. Our O-Line footwork is terrible. Our O-Line problems aren't going to be fixed this year. Right now defenses are just turning loose because they know we can't block. I am not saying we run the gimmicks. If we run the guy in motion, like we did with J.J., the defense sees that, they have to slow up and keep contain. It also gives Meyer a dump off reciever because the person who is supposed to be out in the flat is busy being our best blocker.
    Maybe we could do that stuff if we have a J.J. Moses type of player. But really...we don't.

And even the great J.J. would be clobbered behind this offensive line.

Until the men up front block - we will continue to fail on offense.