Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 94

Texas Tech (And the rest of the season)

Ok, I am as frustrated/annoyed/angered/****** off/mad as everyone else here. Realistically, I thought we would be 4-3 at this point (I was hoping we would get 1 of Texas, Iowa, OU, or Nebraska...but we didn't). Instead we are 3-4 with 5 winnable games remaining. We haven't been impressive in ANY one of these games but that doesn't matter, all that matters is our record.

This weekend against Tech: IMO, this game will make or break the season. We still have a chance to finish 8-4 if we win out. Do I think we will do that? Probably not, but it's possible. We could go 4-1 and have another 7 win season (I'd take that right now!).

Here are the questions I think will be answered after this weekend:
    Will this team fold? Or will they beat a bad Tech team?
    This game will be a test to Mac's coaching ability and may determine how I will feel about him as our coach at the end of the year.

If we lose, this season is lost IMO. But if we win, we still can have a good season. If we win impressively, there may actually be some optimism for the remaining 4 games.

One thing is for sure, I'll be there at 8am ready to tailgate and root on the Cyclones to a victory!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 162

Re: Texas Tech (And the rest of the season)

I'd feel better about our chances this weekend if we had shown the ability to...

A. Provide a pass rush
    B. Play good coverage by the linebackers and secondary.

We really have not done either. I have no idea how CU defeated Tech and held them to 6 points...but I'm guessing they did one or both of those things pretty well.

So the offense best wake up this weekend if they want a shot at winning this game and making this season a somewhat respectable one.

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I see no reason to think we are better than anyone else on our schedule. But, that's just me being pessimistic, so I'm not so disappointed after every game the rest of the season.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well, Colorado did it, so why can't we? It is going to be a lot tougher without DeAndre. It would be a good start to the rest of the season.

Addict
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,166
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

A quote from Leach after the CU loss:

"Right now, I think there are too many factions on our team that don't trust each other," Leach said after the Red Raiders lost their second consecutive game. "Everyone is pressing, because they don't trust the guy to either side of them.

"I think we've got coaches who don't trust players, and players that don't trust coaches. We've also got players that don't trust each other."

Can anyone imagine Danny Mac saying something like this. I think he needs to do just that instead of his constant positive spin, just for a change up. The players make take more notice if the most positive coach in the nation was disappointed in something.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    A quote from Leach after the CU loss:

"Right now, I think there are too many factions on our team that don't trust each other," Leach said after the Red Raiders lost their second consecutive game. "Everyone is pressing, because they don't trust the guy to either side of them.

"I think we've got coaches who don't trust players, and players that don't trust coaches. We've also got players that don't trust each other."

Can anyone imagine Danny Mac saying something like this. I think he needs to do just that instead of his constant positive spin, just for a change up. The players make take more notice if the most positive coach in the nation was disappointed in something.
    I would be horrified if I heard our coach say that about our team. By publicly saying that, it could rip a team in two - and to our benefit - it just may.

Wow...hearing that reminds me of what happened with the Callahan-lead Raiders a few years ago.

I've heard Mac be critical of the players. I never want to hear him or any other ISU coach say something like that though.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 94

Tech's offense has been junk against any kind of decent competition. They scored:

3 pts vs. TCU
    27 pts vs. A&M (pretty good point total)
    21 pts vs. Missouri
    6 pts vs. CU

With their type of offense, we likely won't get much of a pass rush. The key will be to tackle.

I'm not predicting a win by any means but it's definitely a winnable game. Again, I think this will determine the rest of the season.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    I would be horrified if I heard our coach say that about our team. By publicly saying that, it could rip a team in two - and to our benefit - it just may.

Wow...hearing that reminds me of what happened with the Callahan-lead Raiders a few years ago.

I've heard Mac be critical of the players. I never want to hear him or any other ISU coach say something like that though.
    Perhaps this is a little too harsh. But which is better: Telling the press that everything is great and that we have a few things to work on, but otherwise, this is a great team and we'll turn it around for next week, we've got to be the most improved team in the nation between week 6 and 7. Or telling the press something like Leach did above. If I'm a player on the team, I would take more notice of what Leach said. True, those statements can tear apart a team. But what if it allowed a leader to emerge and to hold "no coaches" team meetings and just fix things? Seems to me that our team has a chemistry problem that everyone is afraid to identify. It needs to be rooted out and solved somehow.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Perhaps this is a little too harsh. But which is better: Telling the press that everything is great and that we have a few things to work on, but otherwise, this is a great team and we'll turn it around for next week, we've got to be the most improved team in the nation between week 6 and 7. Or telling the press something like Leach did above. If I'm a player on the team, I would take more notice of what Leach said. True, those statements can tear apart a team. But what if it allowed a leader to emerge and to hold "no coaches" team meetings and just fix things? Seems to me that our team has a chemistry problem that everyone is afraid to identify. It needs to be rooted out and solved somehow.
    When this year has D-Mac said "everything is great"? He hasn't. He's maintaining a positive attitude, but each week he mentions that we need to block better, tackle better, protect the football better, etc.

I swear, all of you want this negative coach who will cut his team out at the knees after a loss. That my friends, is how coaches lose the respect of their players. D-Mac does not call guys out to the press - he blames himself, his staff and the entire team for poor play.

Behind closed doors, I know for a fact he gets in the face of guys not doing their job. Just because you can't see or hear it, does not mean it isn't taking place.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

When this year has D-Mac said "everything is great"? He hasn't. He's maintaining a positive attitude, but each week he mentions that we need to block better, tackle better, protect the football better, etc.

I swear, all of you want this negative coach who will cut his team out at the knees after a loss. That my friends, is how coaches lose the respect of their players. D-Mac does not call guys out to the press - he blames himself, his staff and the entire team for poor play.

Behind closed doors, I know for a fact he gets in the face of guys not doing their job. Just because you can't see or hear it, does not mean it isn't taking place.
    LE was that type of coach and he was very successful with that style. The players worked hard for LE despite the fact he was all doom and gloom in the press. Now, LE was the opposite end of the spectrum from DM. All I'm suggesting is something in between.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Being in Texas, what Leach says is mostly regarded as "Leach Speak" as he is this way almost very time he talks with the media. The guy is really off the wall...his interviews make no sense most of the time. A lot of speculation that he tries to be off the wall on purpose (Glanville type).

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

LE was that type of coach and he was very successful with that style. The players worked hard for LE despite the fact he was all doom and gloom in the press. Now, LE was the opposite end of the spectrum from DM. All I'm suggesting is something in between.
    I doubt we won basketball games just because Larry had a short temper. He was just very close with the players, you know - drinking Natty Light with them after the games and such...

D-Mac, take notice - be more like Larry!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I doubt we won basketball games just because Larry had a short temper. He was just very close with the players, you know - drinking Natty Light with them after the games and such...

D-Mac, take notice - be more like Larry!
    ISUfan, you are the King of taking what someone said and spinning it however you would like. Where above did I say I wanted Dmac to go out drinking with his players? Did I even say "be more like LE". I called LE the other end of the spectrum and asked for something in between the two. Are you sure you don't work for DMac in his "spin zone"? You seem to be as good at it as he is.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Being in Texas, what Leach says is mostly regarded as "Leach Speak" as he is this way almost very time he talks with the media. The guy is really off the wall...his interviews make no sense most of the time. A lot of speculation that he tries to be off the wall on purpose (Glanville type).
    Hmmmmmmmmm. A potential interview situation with D-Mac that may make fans happy....

(after the loss to Oklahoma)

Press: What did you think of your team's performance today

D-Mac: I thought we played real, real hard and...hey...did anyone record Jeopordy for me? That Alex guy is the most improved TV guy in the entire country.

Press: Um, ok. Dan, what is the status of Jackson?

D-Mac: It looks real bad. But, who gives a *****? We're going to put a whole lot of duct tape on it and have him ready to go tomorrow. I'm stopping at Wal-Mart when we get back to Ames to get about 20 rolls of that real, real tough tape.

Press: Nevermind, I'll ask the trainer. It looked like your offensive line had troubles with the Sooner pass rush. Any thoughts on how you can get better there?

D-Mac: Well last week at practice I thought we had a real solid week of blocking. We went to the nearest retirement community and put together a solid scout team. The front 5 was attributed with 2 deaths, 5 broken bones, a ruptured spleen and a cranial hemorage last week. I was shocked when today didn't go that way.

Press: Welllllllllll...final question. Dare I ask...what did you think of your tackling today?

D-Mac: LOUD NOISES!!!!!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

ISUfan, you are the King of taking what someone said and spinning it however you would like. Where above did I say I wanted Dmac to go out drinking with his players? Did I even say "be more like LE". I called LE the other end of the spectrum and asked for something in between the two. Are you sure you don't work for DMac in his "spin zone"? You seem to be as good at it as he is.
    Dude...take a pill. I was being completely sarcastic and having a bit of fun with ya.