Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Now why are we all freaking out again?

I am not an apologist but settle down chicken littles. Where did all these expectations come from? Our team is not as good as last year and our schedule became tougher. From the start I thought we were a 6-6 team. The offense has not met my expectations and the defense, considering all the adversity, has exceeded my expectations. Anything better is a credit to McCarney and anything worse is on his shoulders.

Before you pull your hair out wondering we are not going to win a national championship consider a few things:

Defense:

LB’s – Dobbins graduates. Robertson booted. Carper Injured.

DL – Leaders graduates. Berrymen booted. Kurtis Taylor injured. Parker runs into wall.

DB’s – Moser graduates. James Smith injured. Now DeAndre Jackson injured.

Yes injuries happen but let’s not kid ourselves. Losing a starter to injury, retardation, or graduation hurts more at ISU than it does OU.

Offense:

Meyer was probably receiving too much hype. Good QB but not good enough to beat teams without a running game. The receivers are a good bunch but Davis has been slowed. O-line is average. Our backfield is and will continue to be mediocre at best. Hicks would make a good FB. He shows flashes of potential but just not enough. I honestly think he would run better blindfolded. No sense of urgency. It is so easy to start him but I just believe he hurts the team. With Scales always injured there is really no one pushing Hicks. Defenses do not respect Hicks and they go after Meyer.

Yes injuries happen but let’s not kid ourselves. Losing a starter to injury or graduation hurts more at ISU than it does OU.

Schedule:

Toledo and UNLV were exactly what I thought they would be, hard fought victories.

I expected a loss to Iowa. I thought the teams were even with the edge going to home field.

Would it have been great to beat UT? Yes. Should it be expected? No. The score was disappointing.

I knew we wouldn’t blow out UNI. It was a let down but still a victory.

The NU game hurt. I was hoping for a victory. It just wasn’t ISU’s night. Had to win it to be a contender.

OU another expected loss but disappointing score.

With remaining schedule of TT, KSU, KU, CU and MU, I expect three victories in there. Where and when I am not sure. Counting ISU, six teams that match up fairly well. I am calling KSU, KU, and CU victories. There is opportunity to do better or worse. I think you will be able to judge the coaching staff more on the remaining 5 games than the previous seven.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Now why are we all freaking out again?

You answered your own question in the first sentence. If in year 12 with a senior dominated offense with an all Big 12 QB we are expecting 6-6 there is a problem. Defensively we should be reloading not rebuilding. Injuries are part of the game and don't excuse the expectations you put out there.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 167

Did anyone ever say that ISU would contend for a national title? No.

We all expected to have some problems on defense. Now the kids are getting in the right position, they just need to finish tackles.

Offense is where this team has been very, very disappointing. Primarily, on the offensive line. I'm sick of hearing how we have no running game and that Hicks sucks. First, we've been playing from behind now for the last 4 weeks in a row - immediately put in big holes. So how can we even run the ball? We're forced to pass. When we do actually have the opportunity to run, I think our running attack has been good.

We're 3-4, not far off where many predicted us to be. I know that...but I couldn't care less. In each win, this team played poorly. In the losses, well - aside from Iowa - they looked lost.

For that we can "freak out" all we want.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105

I can answer your expectations question very easily - from the coaching staff and media covering the Cyclones. When the coaches and players are talking about competing for a big 12 championship, call me crazy, but I believe them, especially when we haven't really heard that talk around here before.

I personally thought we'd do no better than 7-5. Now I pray we can hit 6-6, because I like going to bowl games even if they are crappy ones.

The offense has not met my expectations and the defense, considering all the adversity, has exceeded my expectations.
    The offense is obviously worse than last season, and the defense is the absolute worst in the Big 12. If they are exceeding your expectations, what were you expecting? The worst unit in Division 1 football?

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

As fans, we should be freaking out when we win; screaming our heads off because we just had a blowout win over a non confernece team or we just upset a ranked team or we just beat UI...we should also be freaking out when we lose, screaming our arm chair quaterback heads off that we didn't play to our capability, got a crummy call from the refs, fumbled on one yard line. That's what we do as Fans..... especially die hards (we are never happy except for lots of W's)