Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Annual Appraisals

Kind of a spin-off from the "Annual Raises" thread, but a separate issue, I think. There is nothing I detest more, than the industry standard "annual appraisal." It guarantees me at least one night of poor sleep, and anxiety, while really giving nothing back for the effort, imo.

My logic for this is as follows: Most supervisors I've worked for have a tendency of either bringing up "surprises" during the annual review, or going over improvement issues that were dealt with long before the appraisal.

I think that appraisals for employees need to be an ongoing, interactive process, and not only should there be "no surprises" during the annual review, but the annual review itself is an unnecessary waste of time. Some employers actually ask employees to rate their own work performance, and out of sloth, they just give that AS the work appraisal.

My worst appraisal "war story" was an employer who gaves me a "needs improvement" four years in a row, for something that actually happened before I ever started working for them, four years before, and hadn't reoccurred since. The issue was on taking "breaks".

I worked as an hourly contractor for the organization, and when I wasn't "on the clock", I would retire to the lounge and read a book, or work on another project on my laptop. This was on my own, unpaid time. So, of course, after they hired me as a full-time employee, the next four appraisal periods, the comment, "takes too many breaks, needs to not do personal projects" kept reappearing on my appraisal. Of course, I would refute it, and they would refuse to acknowledge my point.

Anyone else have some "stupid employer stories" to tell about their own annual appraisals?

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,604
    Given: 761

Re: Annual Appraisals

Thankfully, I don't have any bad appraisal stories of my own. I agree that an effective manager of people should deal with any issues as they happen, rather than wait for the review to address them, and that makes the critical part of the review process rather pointless. Hopefully, they will be handing out praise in the same manner.

Legend
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 331
    Given: 526

What I hate is when everything is positive in your review but you get just an average score. I also hate that if the scale is 0-5 no one ever gets over a 4.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 1,036
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 78

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    What I hate is when everything is positive in your review but you get just an average score. I also hate that if the scale is 0-5 no one ever gets over a 4.
    Amen. My boss gives me a 4 every year in one category, saying I do a great job in it. I ask what I can do better--he says nothing. I ask what it takes to get a 5. He says nothing, he doesn't give out 5s. Why? I just don't.

That's fine, it's just my raise we're talking about here.

On the other hand, his philosophy is that you should never hear anything new at an appraisal. That is very good.

On the other, other hand.....he's got a hawkeye calendar in his office.

Walk On Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

It's probably a good thing I'm only PRN, now that we have kids. This kind of crap used to get me all kinds of ****** off when I worked fulltime.

At Mercy, you get a review every year. Which is basically worthless. Everyone gets the same cost of living adjustment and that is it. There are no merit raises at Mercy.

A few times, we have been given 'market adjustments', basically because they figure out that Methodist pays better and decide may they should give a rats *** about the employees... But I'm not bitter, so it's all good.

I am pretty sure no one above my immediate supervisor reads the reviews. One year I actually wrote, "Smile and fake it" as an answer to one of the questions. My nursing supervisor thought it was hilarious. And I didn't ever hear anymore about it....

Last edited by C.John; 03-05-2008 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Circumventing the language filter.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    Kind of like a "This Is Spinal Tap" reverse on the volume control that goes to 11?

You know, it's a scale of 0-5, but it only goes to 4.
    Because everyone has room for improvement, right?

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

In my last job, I worked there four years and the only time my performance was evaluated is when the GM overheard my jokingly say "that's not my job". The and my supervisor pulled out a couple nit-picky complaints and threatened to fire me for my "not my job" comment. I was too young and inexperienced to know that I was being taken advantage of and should have walked out on that piece of crap job. The pay sucked, the hours sucked, and I was doing way more work than those around me.

Now, a few years later I am in a position where I have a great manager, and I am responsible for giving reviews to my own crew. It's nice to know I can be complimentary to the employees that I think are doing well.

I hope my crew doesn't see the review process as a good old-fashioned crotch punching like I used to.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 646
    Given: 404

Our group takes time to compliment workers when possible. Their choices outside the group are not priomo for new workers so they treat the experienced people better.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.