Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 631
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

How does ISU give fans hope = sell tickets for '07?

I know that the season isn't over yet, but with what I've seen through the first seven games, it is hard to believe that this team is poised for a big run to close out the season.

If ISU finishes 5-7 or 6-6, what is the inducement for the casual fans who seemingly bought in this year to continue next season? There is a hard-core level of support for ISU FB at about the 40,000 avg attendance level. To achieve what we all want, it is necessary for that base to grow. How do you grow the base when the results are so dissapointing? How do sell the facilities improvements when the results on the field are so lackluster? This is where the whole question of a coaching change at the end of the season comes into play. At some point, you have to change the conversation away from relentless negativity and give people a positive hope for the future. I think the analogy to ISU BB in '05 and '06 is very apt.

URBCLONE

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 393
    Given: 253

Re: How does ISU give fans hope = sell tickets for '07?

I've stated many times this football season is a very, very critical one for the future of the entire football program. With all the facility upgrade plans on the line, season ticket sales that need to go up, etc. There has been a big call to action placed by Mr. Pollard.

So far, the players and coaches have not answered the call.

All-Star
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 631
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    I've stated many times this football season is a very, very critical one for the future of the entire football program. With all the facility upgrade plans on the line, season ticket sales that need to go up, etc. There has been a big call to action placed by Mr. Pollard.

So far, the players and coaches have not answered the call.
    You're right. Now the question is - what is to be done? I think that question is the dividing line in the fan base.

URBCLONE

Starter
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 671
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by URBCLONE View Post
    I know that the season isn't over yet, but with what I've seen through the first seven games, it is hard to believe that this team is poised for a big run to close out the season.

If ISU finishes 5-7 or 6-6, what is the inducement for the casual fans who seemingly bought in this year to continue next season? There is a hard-core level of support for ISU FB at about the 40,000 avg attendance level. To achieve what we all want, it is necessary for that base to grow. How do you grow the base when the results are so dissapointing? How do sell the facilities improvements when the results on the field are so lackluster? This is where the whole question of a coaching change at the end of the season comes into play. At some point, you have to change the conversation away from relentless negativity and give people a positive hope for the future. I think the analogy to ISU BB in '05 and '06 is very apt.
    The wheels have come off????? It's obvious that expections have not been meet at any level of this team. I hear of player dessention and apathy are everywhere, both sides of ball. D-Mac seems to be "the choosen one" by Pollard, even just a year into his tenure. Comments like " fans don't respect this staff" tell me he does and many of us don't. There are many of us Alum and fans that don't live in Midwest that have followed and supported the football program in donations. Many of you posters base your level of support on attendance and season ticket holder numbers-that is important!!! However, there are just as many of us that follow on Sirius and TV that make major contributions to this program.

My point is what about "the next step" ???? Is this the coach and staff for the future??? 12 years of "rebuilding" has got us one 9 win season and 5 minor bowls (Shreverport 2 times), frankly we are still rebuilding. Every year we are rebuilding under this Head coach, how long does it take to rebuild a D-I program? Well Synder did quickly at K-State into a powerhouse, was Manhattan, Kansas a garden spot and a hot bed campus?? Facilites better? No, it was recuriting and coaching by a real Head coach who knew how to win!! Much has been said about who might replace D-Mac if that became a reality, who would come here?, whats the buyout clause?, and on and on!

Here is one fan and alum take:
    1. Pollard won't fire Mac until contributions plument and I think they will. If we lose 2-3 more games and thats possible he still won't fire Mac.
    2. There will be significant staff changes, Skaldeney would probably be only survior.
    3. "The next Big Step" will be B-Ball not Football, Pollard will focus on the G-Mac and Hilton improvements before JTS gets anything. With D-Mac at helm the fundraising won't happen, Pollard will save face with a Hilton improvements. Fund raising will be successful for a Hilton, my last contribution was earmarked for Hilton only. I was assured none of my money would go to football or JTS.
    4. Pollard is tired of e-mails from me and other fans concerning D-Mac and the Football program. I won't share confidential e-mails from an AD and an contributing alum, however he supports D-Mac all the way. He doesn't like "earmarked" contributions either, but he isn't stupid. Money for part of the program is better than no money!
    5. Recuriting is going to suffer from the current state of the program, I personally think that the JC route now is the only route for O and D line recuriting. However D-Mac has a trackrecord of consisent failure with JC kids. You need an assistant who can coach them. How many more high school kids are we going to recurit that never make it to the field? It would be interesting Stat to see over 12 years.
    6.Ok, not positive at all. D-Mac will continue as Head Coach, he could lose 3 or 4 more games and stay. Pollard will reshuffle staff and Mac will have a short leash for a few more years.
    7.As for next year, Texas, Oklahoma, Iowa, and Colorado all come to Ames, Pollard will work his ticket selling magic and most of you will pony up to increased prices and post your dismay over D-Mac another year. I will pay for ESPN Game plan and Sirius and turn it off when I can't stand any more. ( I did Saturday during 3 qtr).
    8. I'm ready for some Basketball!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 864
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 446

I agree with you Lobo that Dan Mac is going nowhere fast with this program at this time. I still do NOT think that Jamie Pollard will fire Mac after this season even if the football team does NOT win another game. I think Jamie will give Mac at least one more season to improve and show progress with this football program.

Yeah you are right I do and have bought football tix for a very long time and I dont give a rats patoot if I have to sit in the stands by myself I am still going buy more tix next year.

Go Clones Lets Win Some Games To Close Out This Season

Prospect
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 577
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Just like they did 4 years ago. They will sell who is coming to Ames; Iowa, Texas, Oklahoma, and I think Colorado. They will also probably raise ticket prices just like they did 4 years ago, because of the qulaity of our home opponents.

I remember 4 years ago, I had a couple of extra tickets to the Texas game, it was great weather for the game, and I could only sell them for $5 just before the game. I probably could of done better if I would have come an hour earlier, but I don't think face price was possible. The game was over quickly, there was no suspense in the second half. From that day on, I no longer looked as extra tickets as an investment. On that day the tickets were definitately no worth their face value.

Prospect
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 164
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

You act like a 9 win season occured all the time in ISU history and that Mac accomplishing a 9 win season is not a very big deal. When in fact the last and only 9 win season before Mac's team won 9 games was in 1906. With four wins over Coe, Des Moines College, Morningside and Grinnell. So Mac has one 9 win season in 12 years and the rest of ISU football history has one 9 win season in 102 years.

redskinsisu

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I agree, redskinsisu. Just about any program in the nation would be proud with a 9 win season. The fact is, last year we were only a couple plays short of 10 wins. I don't think that is any excuse for losing, but we can't just go from a program that wins 2-3 games a year to one that wins 9-10 a year. I think fans have faced a lot of frustration this year, but lets take a step back and look at the big picture. That being said, if we can't pull off a good season in the very near future to continue this program's growth, we are not playing up to our potential, and should very seriously consider a coaching change.

Addict
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 728
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 136

We've lost to Iowa, Texas, Nebraska, and Oklahoma. Those are some pretty good teams. Other than Missouri, I do not see any team left on the schedule that is as good as those teams. So until I see ISU lose to Tech, KSU, Kansas, Mizzou, and Colorado I'm not going to consider those losses.

If ISU can finish with a 7-5 record or better (which I think is still very possible) the fans will be back. With 5 or 6 wins they could probably sell it by bringing someone else in at the offnsive coordinator. Anything less than 5 wins, they will need a complete overhaul and its going to take a few years to get the fan support back to what it is now.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 777
    Given: 498

K State and Texas Tech are rated 28 notches higher than ISU in Sagarin.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Agreed, a 9-win mark was a great milestone for the program, but it occurred SIX YEARS AGO. The closest we've come since is a few 6-7 regular season win seasons? And not to poo-poo on the 2000 season, another thread showed the final results of that season, and the teams we beat and their final records. ISU didn't exactly rock the college football world. The point being, is ISU has elevated from terrible (pre-Mac) to consistent mediocrity. Although who knows what the 2002 team woulda done w/ the "soft" south schedule (baylor, OSU, aTm). The best McCarney teams have still gotten thumped by the big 12 elites. Loboclone made a great observation with KSU. Another Fry disciple taking over an terrible program at a land grant uni, but somehow turns it into a powerhouse in less than a decade. I like Mac, but I think overall a restless fan base is good b/c that means we have developed some expectations and aren't satisfied with 6-7 win seasons year in and year out! Ever since 2003, all the talk pointed to this season, 2006, when Meyer-Blythe and others were upperclassmen w/ a veteran O-Line, esp. considering how the team played in '04. But I feel how this team has performed so far shows me this staff is not capable of reaching the next level, period. If not with this talent now, when?

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Speechless
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 777
    Given: 498

Instead of mediocrity, a .500 season would be called parity in the pros.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 108
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 68

Quote Originally Posted by frontrangeclone View Post
    Agreed, a 9-win mark was a great milestone for the program, but it occurred SIX YEARS AGO. The closest we've come since is a few 6-7 regular season win seasons? And not to poo-poo on the 2000 season, another thread showed the final results of that season, and the teams we beat and their final records. ISU didn't exactly rock the college football world.
    The people who throw out ultra-pretty pictures ignore or forget the context and background of what they are trying to get you to believe by drawing flawed conclusions, and hence there is no validity or substance to their statements. The 9-win season was great and we had some great players, but they weren't what you would imagine a really good 9-win team to be. That is why that year we only made it to the Insight Bowl and not a higher one. Not that there is anything wrong with that, the trip to Phoenix was an absolute blast and the game and atmosphere were fantastic. If the conference hadn't broken ties with it we might have ended up back there a few times instead of Shreveport and B.. (I can't say it). Arizona is a great Bowl destination in the winter (go figure!) and the conference finally got it back.

Last edited by pulse; 10-20-2006 at 05:25 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,116
    Given: 799

i kinda like the idea of cleaning house except mac and skaldany. bring in some assistants that can coach. the offense was exciting to watch until isu brought in barneyfife from west of the border. i'd hate to start completely over at this point

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Rookie
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 7

.500 is not parity in the pros. .500 in the pros is about the worst place you can be.