Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 36

Mac's buyout clause

What's Mac's buyout clause if JP canned him after the season?

Between what we've already had to dish out for WM and the money JP wants to athletic improvements I don't know where we come up with the $$$ to get rid of Mac.

Fanatic #25

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Mac's buyout clause

The real question is can we afford not to buy the contract out. The Mac era has worn thin. He can come up with all of the lame statements he wants. No one would care if he was winning. No Doubt About It.

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 1

If it so happened that we went a couple years in a row with no bowl game attendance... I'd imagine that in iteself would be quite costly, considering what we want to do here.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 55

There is no buyout for Mac's contract.

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    Is this true? If so, do you have a link or something to show that? It would be very unusual for a coach at a BCS conference school not to have a buyout clause.

URBCLONE

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 21

even if we do who really is goin to come here?? i mean we keep on sayin fire Mac fire Cotton.. but I really dont see who would replace them.. but what makes me mad is if we we do fire Mac.. we will more then likely lose John Sk. cant spell his last name, and love this guy, i mean really, he has done a OUTSTANDIN job with this D. yes they have not put up the same #'s as years past, but look at how they play in the first half the the 2nd. They improve over half time and stop the Nebs and OUs. i really would not like replacing him.

Addict
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,238
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

Who would want to come here? Well if I was a young fiery coach looking to take over the reins of a program that they could build to a level unimaginable to most, Iowa State... from the BIG 12, would not be a bad choice! The coach would have a chance to build his own dynasty and have his name forever written into history as the coach that officially turned the Iowa State Football program into a powerhouse.

cyclONEnation
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 31

Quote Originally Posted by cstrunk View Post
    Who would want to come here? Well if I was a young fiery coach looking to take over the reins of a program that they could build to a level unimaginable to most, Iowa State... from the BIG 12, would not be a bad choice! The coach would have a chance to build his own dynasty and have his name forever written into history as the coach that officially turned the Iowa State Football program into a powerhouse.
    Young fiery coach...to a level unimaginable...name written into history....Sounds like you just described Mac, 12 years ago.

Addict
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,238
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

Quote Originally Posted by C.John View Post
    Young fiery coach...to a level unimaginable...name written into history....Sounds like you just described Mac, 12 years ago.
    Well I would be happy if we could get a coach that improved us as much as McCarney has improved us up to these past few years! McCarney has taken us from 1-3 win seasons, to 6-7 win seasons. Could a new coach take us to 9-10 win seasons?? I would sure like to think so! It's not like a new coach would be starting from scratch like McCarney did when there was absolutely no foundation here for the program.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by C.John View Post
    Mac did fit in this category. But bringing in a young coach like this is always a gamble. Look at the University of Arizona. They brought in Bob Stoops, a unanimously lauded choice. Now there is talk of letting him go at the end of the year. You need to give a new coach 4 years to get his players in there and see what direction he's taking the team. If there's no improvement you keep trying coaches on til you find one that fits. Then the challenge becomes keeping a successful coach at ISU.

"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

I think that we should wait until the end of the season to see what happens. There are probably less than 10 teams in the country who wouldn't have a 3-4 record with this schedule this year. However, its not like we were putting up 30 a game with what was supposed to be a potent offense that would have to outscore their opponents. Last year the game against Texas A&M was a breakout. Let's watch next week.

Addict
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,780
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 36

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    Maybe I misstated my question. If we can Mac we owe him the remaining money on his contract. I wanted to know what that figure is.

It's a good arguement on no bowl $ vs that amount. I do think we'll eek out more bowl games (you just gotta be .500 nowadays) over the next 4 or 5 years.

Fanatic #25

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

"There is no buyout for Mac's contract."

Where do you get that info?

Mac does have a buyout clause.

When BVDV extended Mac's contract to 2010 he put is some sort of obscene buyout...I think it is around $5 million. These are not technically "buyouts" what it does is makes sure the school gets compenstated if another school comes around and hires the coach.

Example:

School "A" wants t hire mac....if they do they have to pay ISU $5 million, or what ever is written into the contract.

However, if ISU just wants to terminate Mac before the contract has ben fullfilled...ISU has to pay, so basically our hands are tied. One thing that could be done is JP could offer to extend Mac's already existing contract one year and lower the buyout to something manageable....if Mac would agree to it. But it may be the only way Mac can get his contract extended.

The Irony is....everyone on the board wants to say "Just wait for the season to play out!", however, when BVDV extened Mac's contract and gave him a raise....IT WAS THE MIDDLE OF THE SEASON! And BVDV claimed "he was makinking sure Mac stayed the ISU coach for a long time".... ISU tanked the rest of the season. We went on to lose to UConn and Boise State, and go 6-6. Also, if everyone remembers this is when Mac held a gun to BVDV's head and used TCU as leverage and they,TCU, Hired Pattersom....hmmm...who ended up better off there. ISU fans are still paying for Vandevelde's Bumbles even after he is long gone.....

Last edited by RedStorm; 10-15-2006 at 01:09 PM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 55

Quote Originally Posted by RedStorm View Post
    "There is no buyout for Mac's contract."

Where do you get that info?

Mac does have a buyout clause.
    Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. I won't reveal my source, but I suppose you could call it a buyout in a sense, but not the type that we used with WM. We would still owe Mac his base salary for the remainder of the contract, but it wouldn't all be due at once like WM's was.

Last edited by ISUAlum2002; 10-15-2006 at 01:16 PM.

Starter
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 498
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Doesn't matter any way, buyout clause or no buy out clause. Pollard isn't going to fire, terminate, or lock out D-Mac. He is a Pollard's boy no matter how many more games he loses this year. He could go lose every game left and remain "Head Coach". That doesn't mean Pollard might suggest to Mac to start looking around, NFL maybe or go rebuild some where else. I frankly don't know where that would be but it could be suggested?????

The only way he gets "booted" is when JTS expansion and "The next Big Step" fund raising tanks. I give it 2 more years at best, when the money doesn't come stand on the curb and wave good bye to D-Mac. "It's all about the money and ego of the The next Big Step". Right now Dan will spin and spin and spin to us, the press, and management. Listen to Pollard and his interviews concerning the football program, D-Mac is safe for now.