Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Thumbs down What exactly does Mac do well?

Public Relations:
    Yes and no. He used to sell, sell, sell. But after 12 years, few buy into his meaningless stats anymore and much of what he says ends up being counterproductive and sometimes laughable.

X's and O's:
    I don't think that he does much game day coaching and I don't know that he has a position that he coaches well or knows inside out as a coach like say a Ferentz does w/the O-line.

Recruiting:
    This is an area that I think he excels at, at least with the skill positions and the d-line. We always seem to have better than average skill position players and very good d-line play. The O-line leaves much to be desired as I feel do the LB's.

Game Day Prep/Emotion:
    I think this used to be a plus, but I don't see it as one anymore. Regardless of the opponent, we can't seem to play well in big games unless it's against Iowa. This season especially, we look flat regardless of the opponent. Not only are we playing down to the level of our crappy opponents, we seem to be giving up against the decent ones.

Rebuilding:
    A+. He took a crap program and made us respectable. The problem is, we're done improving under him.

Competing Against the Big Boys:
    F. We don't compete against the big boys, even when playing the likes of Oklahoma who is a big boy in name only this year. We've never beat a very good conference opponent. Never.

These are just my observations. I could be wrong.

Last edited by CLONE2THEBONE; 10-14-2006 at 05:29 PM.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Re: What exactly does Mac do well?

I think that recruiting is hard no matter who would be coaching our team. Not a great history with the program, and colder than cold in the winter times don't usually make top notch athletes want to play there.

ISU Bet

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Recruiting shouldn't be as hard as it is. Part of the reason we have no tradition, recent or past, is because we've ****** it down our leg when we had the chance to win the division.

If Zook can get players to go to Illinois and Hoepner can get players to go to Indiana, Mac should be able to get players to come to ISU.

The thing that bothers me the most is that when we play one of the big boys, we don't even legitimately compete with them...EVER.

Against ranked conference opponents since 1998, Mac has been outscored 343-651.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 124

At least we only play Oklahoma and Texas at their home stadium only once every four years.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 749
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Quote Originally Posted by CLONE2THEBONE View Post
    Recruiting shouldn't be as hard as it is. Part of the reason we have no tradition, recent or past, is because we've ****** it down our leg when we had the chance to win the division.

If Zook can get players to go to Illinois and Hoepner can get players to go to Indiana, Mac should be able to get players to come to ISU.

The thing that bothers me the most is that when we play one of the big boys, we don't even legitimately compete with them...EVER.

Against ranked conference opponents since 1998, Mac has been outscored 343-651.

That's something that always makes me wonder.... Illinois picks up SOO many more higher rated (according to scouts) recruits than ISU could dream of.... however, they still suck. How much of that is incorrect analysis? player development? I dunno, just a thought when you mentioned Illinois.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

With all due respect Wesley do you expect The Cyclones to compete with those teams next year at home?

All-Star
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 864
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

Since when did Mac become a good recruiter??? I don't think he ever was. The only reason we put a good team out there is because of the strength and conditioning coach. Anybody that plays in the system will tell you that. You ask Jordan Carstens and he will tell you flat out he only reached his potential because of Matt McGettigan

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

So, nothing?

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 5

Dan takes boys and turns them into fine young men, thats for sure. Our players always seem to be pumped up and ready to go coming out of the tunnel, so it looks to me like he has them ready to go in the locker room. He can pace along the sidelines with the best of'em. I also enjoy his halftime "interviews" if everything isnt going our way. The reporter (unless its Ben Bruns) barely has the question out of their mouth and Dan is angrily shouting his canned response at them, its great.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 124

Boys to Men. That is what happened to Brackins.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Starter
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 455
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

This is an area that I think he excels at, at least with the skill positions and the d-line. We always seem to have better than average skill position players and very good d-line play. The O-line leaves much to be desired as I feel do the LB's.
    Are you on drugs? He's TERRIBLE! How many 4 and 5 star recruits does he bring in? When was the last good running back we had? You have to go back to Haywood. When was last time we had good lineman? We usually have ONE good DB and get lucky every now and again at LB.

AGREED! If Zook can get people to go to Illinois then Dan can get good recruits here. This would be an interesting stat. In Dan's time at ISU how many 4 star recruits and 5 star recruits has he brought in to ISU and how have they done?

Starter
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 349
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Hoeppner's top guy was a top 100 basketball recruit that he talked into playing football after he got to campus, so credit Mike Davis for recruiting Hardy. As for Zook, he brings name recognition as the former Florida coach, and that will wear out soon as bad as they are. Champagne is also a little more attractive than Ames due to its proximatey to Chicago.

Walk On
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

SPIN, SPIN, SPIN

He's the best at it.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Hey, who cares what star rating someone has. What star ratings did Seneca, Hobbs, Carstens, Rosenfels, Reed, Hayward, Dobbins etc. all who are now playing in the NFL have when they came to ISU? Arnaud was a 5 star recruit before he signed with ISU then he dropped to a 3 star. Fact is, some 3 star recruits turn into 4 and 5 star when they sign with a Texas, USC, etc. and some 4+ star guys turn into 2 and 3 star when they sign with someone like ISU. It's all about the kind of program rep that you have that determines recruiting stars in FB. If you sign with a big program then you must be good and if you sign with a lesser program you must not be so good. That's the reality of that so I don't really care much for the star system.

I think Mac has done a great job developing guys that are unknowns in the recruiting circles into great players. And a lot of the recruiting is done by assistant coaches, Mac may have some say but he's basically there to analyze the players the assistants find then go into the living room and sell them on ISU. If the assistants don't find the talent then it doesn't matter what Mac or any head coach does in recruiting really.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    Hey, who cares what star rating someone has. What star ratings did Seneca, Hobbs, Carstens, Rosenfels, Reed, Hayward, Dobbins etc. all who are now playing in the NFL have when they came to ISU? Arnaud was a 5 star recruit before he signed with ISU then he dropped to a 3 star. Fact is, some 3 star recruits turn into 4 and 5 star when they sign with a Texas, USC, etc. and some 4+ star guys turn into 2 and 3 star when they sign with someone like ISU. It's all about the kind of program rep that you have that determines recruiting stars in FB. If you sign with a big program then you must be good and if you sign with a lesser program you must not be so good. That's the reality of that so I don't really care much for the star system.
    Post of the day right there, major kudos to you!