Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Jeremy - There has been a lot of talk about turmoil within the FB program

especially in regards to the Dale suspension (added to the other off-field problems as-of late). Do you know of any such "differences in philosophy" or other fractures among players and/or coaches? Anything or changes pending after the season? Man, this is not a good way to head into a season. Smells a little like 2003. I sincerely hope not, I don't think I can take that again.

Recruit Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Re: Jeremy - There has been a lot of talk about turmoil within the FB program

What's the matter, Cykotherapy? Don't you have enough ammunition for your anti-Mac rants? You digging for more dirt to add to the arsenal? ::)

CF Founder
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 340
    Given: 205

I think there are two possible reasons why we are hearing so much about turmoil in the FB program.

1-Dan McCarney has lost his reign on the players and they do not respect his authority anymore. They don't have discipline and feel they can get away with things.

or

2-There is a new AD in town that put down his foot and said things have to be very strict and everything will be made public to help make things right. There is a rule of transperancy that makes everything behind the scenes more public and more in line with the rules & guidelines.

I think number 2 is the most likely reason. With Pollard in charge, he is sending notice to all the coaches (and the fans for that matter) that things are changing and a new bar will be set not just with on the field performances but also off the field situations. He is really trying to clean things up at the basement level to help keep potential issues from getting to the point of hurting a program(s).

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167

I think everybody will agree that we aren't happy with the off-field issues. And I'm not going to explain them away by saying stuff like "that happens everywhere". I really don't think this year is much different than any other. It just seems worse since we lost guys like Robertson and Berryman.

I mean crap, we've had more guys than Berryman in the slammer in the last few years. Hell Jerry Gair is almost going to be at retirement age by the time he gets out of the clink.

Sad to say, this really isn't as bad as it has been.

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

you have problems on every school campus. it has been there for 45 years. some of us were lucky that we did not get caught. dave hoppman, bill smith and i were always teased into good fisticuffs down at the local watering holes. we completed our tasks, and were smart enough to get the hell out of dodge before any of the local peros were called to the scene. when we went down town there was always some SOB with a chip on his shoulder that wanted to pick on our threesome, particularly hoppman. i guarantee dave hoppman was a pretty good boxer as was smitty and myself.our particular coaches had a pretty good working relationship with the ames police. coach harold nichols saved a lot of our lives during the late 5o's and early 60's.

doc

CF Founder
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree it's not really much more than usual. It may seem like it because there are official comments and press releases concerning each individual where they wasn't always in the past.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

JEREMY:every college has their problems with discipline of athletes. serious offences like what berryman did desrved harsher treatment-such as theft. i can't think of a problem of any school that we had in the old big eight and now in the big 12did not have . about every school inthe big 12 has had some type of problem. texas has the recent case of ramonce taylor possessing illegal drugs. mack brown will probably dismiss taylor from the texas team. don't think that will put a big hole in the texas running back depth. taylor played on a lot of offensive plays for the longhorns last year. it wil probably help our odds when we play texas. texas does not have any experienced players at qb either.
    some of the worst problems that any school had was when barry switzer was head coach at oklahoma. you could almost say they had gang violence on the norman campus when switzer was head coach of the okies. their problems at oklahoma would make iowa state's problems look miniscule. i do not know until this day how much money the sooner alumni spent on keeping the okie animal house in order.

doc

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Jeremy, obviously your #1 can't be right because the players aren't getting away with things. They're getting suspended and outed in public press releases.

Prospect
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 345
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Hey Woodie!

Good job on responding to the subject matter! I think it's great to hear perspective from someone like you who's got a few more "wiskers" than others regarding past Cyclone/Big 8 history! Keep the comments coming!

So ... Give us a little information on Hoppman and/or his teammates. I've never really heard anyone describe his style of play or equate him to any players of today. Thanks again!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 631
    Given: 397

Speaking of problems, Nebraska just booted off one of their best recruits, Major Calvert from California, who was to be one of their top safties next year. Four days in jail last week after a rape charge. Nebraska backed out of the scholarship offer.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Pro
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

a little bit about the dirty thirty teams and about david hoppmann. the dirty thirty was a mix of some korean war vets and some younger high school athletes. dwight nichols was the tailback on the dirty thirty along with tommy watkins at tailback. nichols was a little guy 170 to 180 lbs, but a very gutsy player. tommy watkins was very shy with a real ggod sense of humor. tommy was an outstanding softball player and could lay down a short bunt from the left handed batting position and he could fly to first base. tommy was an exceptional fullback on the dirty 30 and went on to play proball at the detriot lions at full back. after playing with the detroit lions i think, but am not certain that tommy ended up with several kentucky fried chicken stores as a KFC FRANCHISEE.i think nichols went back to knoxville and went into business there. coach jim myers recruited most of the dirty thirty in 1957. he left after one year and went to join tom landry at the dallas cowboys. clay stapleton became head coach of the cyclones in 1958. he recriuted bill smith and dave hoppman afyer tommy watkins and dwight nichols graduated from iowa state. hoppy was about 6-1 and 170-175 lbs. he was recriuted from a high school in milwaukee wis. bill smith was a big 230 lb running back from grundy center iowa and bill played fullback on the cyclones when hoppman was tailback. hoppy was a good looking blond and always had coeds bugging him.
    he was a very good running tailback on stapleton's old tennessee single wing offense. he was a pretty decent passer. he was a delta sig, so smitty , hoppman,dick scesniak a guard on the football team would always meet at the delta sig house to study as we had several classes together. smitty ,hoppy, and scesniak were all above average students as they were 3.0 or above students. i remember when smitty was not attending classes in his jr year and stapleton got all over him for academic indifference.
    smitty ended up on the dean's list that quarter and stapleton had to eat his words. after studying we would all adjourn to a local pub downtown to have a tall cool one before we went to bed. what can i say about dave hoppman-if you knew dave and was on his inner circle of friends-he was a gentlemen's gentleman-extremely wellmannered . i used to take him to the farm that i grew up on near scranton,iowa. dave was a good student academically. when he graduated from college he went to florida and was involved in sales. afer about ten years to the date of his graduation, he was killed in a head on car collision in florida. i still treasure the good times we had together in school and was severely saddened by his loss in his automoblie accident. he was truly a great friend.

doc

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Wesley,

It is not clear what Major Culbert did. With what he was charged with, it is not clear what he did exactly. Callahan has suspended the scholarship until more information is available. Hopefully he will be cleared of all charges, but it doesn't look good. He was a 3 star and would have had a chance for PT either on ST or as a backup safety. We'll see what happens over the next few weeks/months. If he's guilty, good bye and good riddance.

CF Founder
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

All I can say is I wouldn't be surprised if there is another announcement in the next couple of weeks regarding disciplinary issues on the FB team. Just a little heads up on something that may develop.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 631
    Given: 397

And over in the Nebraska Redlands, their 5-star 4.4 40 Andre Jones (future safety again) Frenso College will not make grades etc. to make the class. He will not attend their school. So recruiting blips happen all over like the Redlands, not just in Ames. Billy gambles on a border linme star and he failed to make the cut.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I don't think that it's a lack of control that is causing the off the field issues. I think that there is a climate in sports where we try to make the players feel like they are invincible to gain a maximum performance on the field and then expect them to turn it off when the game/practice is over. In towns like Ames, Iowa City, Cedar Falls, etc. it is a small community atmosphere, and everybody knows what is happening especially with the athletes.
    In Iowa City the athletic department does a phenomenal job of keeping things hidden, and they are supported by the media and the citizens. Ames does not seem to have that relationship established, and that hurts the image of the athletic department at times.

Jeffrey A Crawford