Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 0

2008 recruits better than expected?

Of course, we know for sure until they are all on campus and playing in a Cyclone uniform. But, by most accounts, it seems that the recruits have all improved from where I'd thought they'd be. There have been numerous articles posted about each this season. Eik is definitely better than I thought as I was thinking he was just a skinny, spot-up, 3 point shooter. Buckley is getting high marks in the state of Michigan, although, this is probably the player in the class I have the most expectations for. Mann is doing well against good competition in the Kansas state play-offs. Hamilton, who I had pretty much written off, got some nice press on his team's road to a state title with one quote from a writer saying something like "the most improved high school player he has ever seen". It seems all of these kids are students of the game and really are working hard to get better. I love to see coachable players.

I wasn't high on this class. I was actually a bit bummed. I won't say I'm super excited but I'm feeling much better about the players coming in. I can see a couple of them getting a lot of play time early on. And we'll need people that can contribute early.

I hate the "wait until next year approach" but I guess that is all we have with this season pretty much in the tank.

Class Rating: Cautiously Optimistic.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 10

Re: 2009 recruits better than expected?

I believe that would be the 2008 recruits.

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,463
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53

Quote Originally Posted by cyismydog View Post
    I believe that would be the 2008 recruits.
    Ooooopsss.. You are right. My bad. Perhaps a nice Mod will fix for me. Thanks.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 183

They say McD does have an eye for talent and he can see it earily kids. Getting in on kids earily is what it is going to take for this program to get the better talent kids.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240

(Note: These kids are all technically part of the 2008 recruiting class)

I agree with you - I was not expecting immediate contributions from anyone with the exception of Buck in this class, but I really feel like everybody can at least be a situational player. I feel a lot more excited about Mann right now - I had no idea what to expect out of him but if he did a good job guarding Releford that just blows my mind. Kansas fans expect him to compete for playing time next year.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 884
    Given: 763

Mann will be a jack of all trades at ISU I think. Versatile.

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 411
    Given: 475

I think the 08 class is medocre at best. Mann is a utility player as is Hamilton. Mann is undersized at his position hopefully he can add energy. Hamilton is a project. I would say Buckley was a steal and Wes is kind of unknown. He is good but is he going to be able convert to Major D1 big 12 basketball from the small town schools b-ball we will see. I hope so.

I hope we get an impact player for 09 then add Barnes, Dykstra, and one more player for 2010 that is good. Right now things are looking horrible.

It's hard to recruit when you are last in the conference. There are other second year coaches that are not last in the conference.

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 415
    Given: 370

I don't think it should necessarily surprise anybody. Players are expected to get better and develop their game and I have all the faith in the world that the staff is looking at the right kids. We're not going to be tops on the list for a "5 star recruit" due to the problems that have plagued the program for the past 4-5 years and caused instability and a lack of success, but the staff is going after fundamentally sound players that excel in the areas that we need. Right now we have some obvious weaknesses but I think in two years we'll be as well rounded as we've probably ever been.

One myth that will be proven wrong over the next few years is that GMac only likes to worry about defense and running a slow game. After we have all the pieces in place, I think you'll see a smaller, more guard-oriented lineup that ends up putting up higher scoring numbers than we're used to. It's easy to complain about the coaching when we don't have a well-balanced offense to help exploit our talents that we do have and once we get some more weapons in place it'll be a much different game.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 415
    Given: 370

Quote Originally Posted by Knownothing View Post
    I think the 08 class is medocre at best. Mann is a utility player as is Hamilton. Mann is undersized at his position hopefully he can add energy. Hamilton is a project. I would say Buckley was a steal and Wes is kind of unknown. He is good but is he going to be able convert to Major D1 big 12 basketball from the small town schools b-ball we will see. I hope so.

I hope we get an impact player for 09 then add Barnes, Dykstra, and one more player for 2010 that is good. Right now things are looking horrible.

It's hard to recruit when you are last in the conference. There are other second year coaches that are not last in the conference.
    There are other second year coaches that aren't last in the conference - that is correct but how many of them are at ISU? None. It's time everybody stopped hounding the staff for the lack of wins when we're about at average for the history of our program and this is after being in probably the biggest hole any Big XII team has been in as far as talent goes. I'm all about raising the bar and expectations but you have to know when the bar can be raised and when you have to give it time to develop.

I'm as big of a MBB fan as there is and I want wins but I also know it takes time and it takes the right players, something we don't have yet. I'm not saying the 08 or 09 players are going to take us to the top but you can't land 5-star recruits right away, it takes time and work. If the fans continue on this trend of wanting to run GMac out after two years, God help our program because we're never going to get better if the lack of support is any sign of the future.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 633
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 2

Re: 2008 recruits better than expected?

Eikemeir will be the next john Neal, hopefully

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 623

Heres to Mann not being the next CJ.

I like the guard additions to the class, but I REALLY have a hard time seeing either of the 'bigs' taking us to a top Big 12 finish and competing against the bigs from KU, Texas, Texas AM, OU.

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 411
    Given: 475

[quoteprogram and this is after being in probably the biggest hole any Big XII team has been in as far as talent goes][/quote]

Really Colorado had a lame duck coach before there coach got there. We are getting beaten out on recruits by Creighton and other schools.

It's really frustrating. Gmac better get it togeather next year or all heck is going to break lose. I am not sure how we are going to do that when we lose the top 2 rebounders on the team and replace them with Alex Thompson and Cory Johnson. Bring in a project center and a "late Bloomer" in Mann.

We need JC help and we need it now. To think otherwise is crazy. Do you honestly think anyone is going to pony up money next year for season ticket's going into the season with our current roster? How do you think that will effect recruiting.

Crappy team, low turnouts to games. Why do you think Harrison Barnes has not pulled the trigger.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

The staff is just as frustrated and eager to win as every body else, probably more so...After losing Taylor and Lucca, this season is not a surprise...We as fans, need to be realistic because we're taking steps in the right direction; it's just not showing up in the W column...GIVE IT TIME.

Addict
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,868
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 69

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    One myth that will be proven wrong over the next few years is that GMac only likes to worry about defense and running a slow game. After we have all the pieces in place, I think you'll see a smaller, more guard-oriented lineup that ends up putting up higher scoring numbers than we're used to. It's easy to complain about the coaching when we don't have a well-balanced offense to help exploit our talents that we do have and once we get some more weapons in place it'll be a much different game.
    Good points and I agree. Gmac's UNI teams were never afraid to shoot and looked good doing it(against power conference teams too!). However the only reason he didn't have size was because he couldn't recruit it. Hilton Colisium gives him a tremendous edge in that department. Would a big guy rather play in the UNI dome or Hilton??

As far the 2008 recruits go, it's way too early to tell. They're playing high school ball and as we all know College ball is a lot different.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

[Why do you think Harrison Barnes has not pulled the trigger.[/QUOTE]

Because he is a sophmore in high school...I like where we are sitting with him.