View Poll Results: Poll:Ncaa D1 MBB Head Coaching Experience

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I have actually coached a D1 MBB game

    18 33.33%
  • No, But I believe I know more than those hired to do so

    36 66.67%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 48
  1. #1
    Speechless
    Points: 274,613, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    coachdags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    N.Dakota
    Posts
    15,513
    Points
    274,613
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

    Ncaa D1 MBB Head Coaching Experience

    I really thinks this goes to help the issue of credibility.......

    I used to really enjoy this site.....

    But lately we question every move, recruit, hire, ect.... It's getting old. Greg McDermott has a proven record applied for a job to become the Head Coach of ISU mens basketball program, he did so because he has some experience in that area and wanted the job. He accepted it and said it will take time, you want a quick fix, I am not the guy. We seem to do nothing on this site anymore but tear him, his staff and his players down. Anyone more quailifed probably should have applied. I thought this was supposed to be a fan site...? Discussion is good, lively debate is better, attacks are unnecessary.

    If that is being a fan, I'm not so sure I want to be one....?


    Last edited by coachdags; 03-02-2008 at 10:09 PM.

  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 117,821, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,478
    Points
    117,821
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 55

    Re: Ncaa D1 MBB Head Coaching Experience

    Not sure of the point of this post.



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 252,951, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,537
    Points
    252,951
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 0

    Re: Ncaa D1 MBB Head Coaching Experience

    When you lose 9 of 11, believe it or not people start wondering what is going on.




  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 50,762, Level: 69
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    AirWalke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    5,723
    Points
    50,762
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 6

    Re: Ncaa D1 MBB Head Coaching Experience

    I voted yes because I thought it'd be funny.

    Yes, what is the point of this post? Where's the third option? "No, I've never coached in my life and would like nothing more than to sit back and view the game as a fan"?


    Go Sssssssssyclones!

  5. #5
    Facebook Knows All
    Points: 274,187, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    16,168
    Points
    274,187
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 74

    Re: Ncaa D1 MBB Head Coaching Experience

    I think the point is that several people here think they have all of the answers and could coach this team to more wins.



  6. #6
    Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    312
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Ncaa D1 MBB Head Coaching Experience

    I think many would argue when McDermott took over the program it wasn't entirely broken. Morgan in three years took ISU to the NIT semi's, and won a game in the NCAA's. Plus,Stinson, Taggert, and Blaylock were all underclassemen, coupled with the freshman guard coming off his redshirt year and some talented recruits. Only when Coach Mac was hired did the the program become entirely broken when everybody except for Rasheed transferred or went to the NBA.
    I'm not arguing for Morgan, indeed I think he was in over his head, but I think fans not seeing Big Xll talent on the floor is what frustrates some fans the most.



  7. #7
    Walk On
    Points: 6,051, Level: 23
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 499
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    PJZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    137
    Points
    6,051
    Level
    23
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Ncaa D1 MBB Head Coaching Experience

    He accepted it and said it will take time, you want a quick fix, I am not the guy.
    Quick fix? We were not really "broken" to begin with--this situation was created by Pollard..



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 82,412, Level: 89
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,338
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CycloneWanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,143
    Points
    82,412
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 5

    Re: Ncaa D1 MBB Head Coaching Experience

    Quote Originally Posted by PJZ View Post
    Quick fix? We were not really "broken" to begin with--this situation was created by Pollard..
    Way to start throwing rocks right after joining . . .



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 24,612, Level: 48
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 938
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Balls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    DeNver, IA
    Posts
    1,365
    Points
    24,612
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Ncaa D1 MBB Head Coaching Experience

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    Not sure of the point of this post.
    I'm not sure either.



  10. #10
    Asst. Regional Manager
    Points: 227,035, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mj4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    16,174
    Points
    227,035
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 413
    Given: 329

    Re: Ncaa D1 MBB Head Coaching Experience

    I can yell at the refs better than most coaches....thats half of the resume right there.


    @RandomGeoFacts

  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 24,612, Level: 48
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 938
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Balls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    DeNver, IA
    Posts
    1,365
    Points
    24,612
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Ncaa D1 MBB Head Coaching Experience

    Quote Originally Posted by kuney1 View Post
    I think many would argue when McDermott took over the program it wasn't entirely broken. Morgan in three years took ISU to the NIT semi's, and won a game in the NCAA's. Plus,Stinson, Taggert, and Blaylock were all underclassemen, coupled with the freshman guard coming off his redshirt year and some talented recruits. Only when Coach Mac was hired did the the program become entirely broken when everybody except for Rasheed transferred or went to the NBA.
    I'm not arguing for Morgan, indeed I think he was in over his head, but I think fans not seeing Big Xll talent on the floor is what frustrates some fans the most.
    Good post. I don't think people think "they" can do better than Greg but do expect more from a D1 coach/D1 program. As pointed out in the attached post, it may not even be coaching as it was decision making early on in the program to transition from the old staff to the new while maybe applying a different approach to maintain the existing player base. Overall there are several things the fan base is questioning and I don't think anyone implies "they" would be a better coach.

    Said differently, if someone criticizes the US President, a company CEO, or a professional athlete I don't think they are implying they would serve as a better US President, CEO, or pro athlete... just sharing criticism of that person's decisions / actions / results.



  12. #12
    Starter
    Points: 16,038, Level: 38
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 412
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Waukon, Iowa
    Posts
    681
    Points
    16,038
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 0

    Re: Ncaa D1 MBB Head Coaching Experience

    Quote Originally Posted by coachdags View Post
    I really thinks this goes to help the issue of credibility.......

    I used to really enjoy this site.....

    But lately we question every move, recruit, hire, ect.... It's getting old. Greg McDermott has a proven record applied for a job to become the Head Coach of ISU mens basketball program, he did so because he has some experience in that area and wanted the job. He accepted it and said it will take time, you want a quick fix, I am not the guy. We seem to do nothing on this site anymore but tear him, his staff and his players down. Anyone more quailifed probably should have applied. I thought this was supposed to be a fan site...? Discussion is good, lively debate is better, attacks are unnecessary.

    If that is being a fan, I'm not so sure I want to be one....?
    Great Post!! I couldn't agree more. And to those who don't understand the purpose, etc. that's because you are part of the problem. If I knew how to give rep points I would pile a few on coachdags.



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 334,917, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    31,729
    Points
    334,917
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

    Re: Ncaa D1 MBB Head Coaching Experience

    Quote Originally Posted by PJZ View Post
    Quick fix? We were not really "broken" to begin with--this situation was created by Pollard..
    Really? That's odd, I kinda thought our woes started the second LE decided partying was more important than being a role model coach and BVD botched that situation (LE and the coaching search process) up completely.

    But hey, that's me...



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 44,255, Level: 65
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,295
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Subs
    Posts
    1,554
    Points
    44,255
    Level
    65
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Ncaa D1 MBB Head Coaching Experience

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Really? That's odd, I kinda thought our woes started the second LE decided partying was more important than being a role model coach and BVD botched that situation (LE and the coaching search process) up completely.

    But hey, that's me...
    LE reputation was well known in high level college MBB circles way before he was hired at ISU. Our worst AD in recent history, Ole Brucy, set the MBB back many years because he decided to ignore what information was available to him. LE didn't just start traveling without his team and just start drinking when he came to ISU. WAKE UP people!


    Last edited by zach; 03-03-2008 at 10:14 AM.
    The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

  15. #15
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 6,370, Level: 23
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    hansen55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Avoca/Ames, IA
    Posts
    241
    Points
    6,370
    Level
    23
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Ncaa D1 MBB Head Coaching Experience

    [quote=kuney1;389422] everybody except for Rasheed transferred or went to the NBA[quote]

    Rasheed = Rahshon, I like the combination of Tasheed and Rahshon though.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM