Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Stay the course

  1. #1
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    dudeluv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sioux City Iowa
    Posts
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Stay the course

    I know this won't be a popular read for many of you, but we as fans are running around like chickens with our heads cut off right now. When I think back to the start of the season, I figured that there was a real possibility of us being 3-4 at this point, with two losses being blowouts-Texas and Oklahoma. Turns out my assumption was right, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one to feel this way. I agree with the majority of you that the problem is in the coaching, but to fire anyone at this point of the year would be foolish. All we can do as TRUE fans is to continue to support the team through the HARD times. While our schedule doesn't get a lot easier, I still believe we have a shot at winning 4 of our last 5 games. Most of us knew coming into today that we had little if no shot at winning todays game, yet as soon as the final whistle sounds, we jump all over everyone for their performances. I am not trying to justify the effort today-poor at best, but don't give up on these guys. Next weekend is homecoming and they will need all of us in the stands making as much noise we can in support of our clones. Hope to see you Saturday. Go State.


    ISU Bet

  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 340,014, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    32,072
    Points
    340,014
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 240

    Re: Stay the course

    No, I'm just being a realist and stating exactly what happened today.

    Very few are jumping off cliffs and calling for the heads of coaches today.

    I think...we actually saw why we are not playing well today. And it's not really all on the coaches.

    Our offensive line play is horrible and our tackling is very poor as well.

    That's just fact, man.

    I'll be there Saturday with my Meyer jersey on, the wife in her Blythe jersey. I'll have the red wig and she'll be wearing her red Cyclone cap. And we'll be cheering...loud. Win or lose.

    But I won't pretend this team doesn't have big issues that need to be fixed.



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 21,668, Level: 45
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 882
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    1,235
    Points
    21,668
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Stay the course

    Quote Originally Posted by dudeluv View Post
    I know this won't be a popular read for many of you, but we as fans are running around like chickens with our heads cut off right now. When I think back to the start of the season, I figured that there was a real possibility of us being 3-4 at this point, with two losses being blowouts-Texas and Oklahoma. Turns out my assumption was right, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one to feel this way. I agree with the majority of you that the problem is in the coaching, but to fire anyone at this point of the year would be foolish. All we can do as TRUE fans is to continue to support the team through the HARD times. While our schedule doesn't get a lot easier, I still believe we have a shot at winning 4 of our last 5 games. Most of us knew coming into today that we had little if no shot at winning todays game, yet as soon as the final whistle sounds, we jump all over everyone for their performances. I am not trying to justify the effort today-poor at best, but don't give up on these guys. Next weekend is homecoming and they will need all of us in the stands making as much noise we can in support of our clones. Hope to see you Saturday. Go State.
    I disagree with you on a lot of things and I'm sure we disagree on the status of the coaching staff. Nonetheless, I have not quit supporting ISU FB for 22 years and won't now, either. That said, this team has serious issues particularly on the offensive side of the ball. You may be right about the level of expectations for the record at this point, but I think it is very difficult to make the argument that they are poised to go on a huge roll right now. I hope they do. But I have yet to see anything this season to make me believe that it will happen.


    URBCLONE

  4. #4
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    dudeluv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sioux City Iowa
    Posts
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Stay the course

    I wasn't trying to act as though I was impressed with our effort today or the season so far to date. Quite the opposite. However, we have been down this road before-when things looked there worst last year-OT loss to NU, loss at home to Baylor, blown 4th quarter lead to a freshman quarterbacked Mizzou, the team responded with a strong finish. Don't get me wrong with this statement either, I am not happy with our persistant slow starts to a season and a strong finish, but our first 7 games are behind us now. I just hope we can show some of the magic that we showed in the second half of last year again this year. I know that the reason we feel so dissapointed right now is because this thing seems to happen to us year after year. I am as upset as the rest of you, but being as negative toward the team as some are on this site is not the answer. Not saying I know what the answer is, and there is definately a lot of questions, but I know that negativity is not it.


    ISU Bet

  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 340,014, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUFan22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Grimes, IA
    Posts
    32,072
    Points
    340,014
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 240

    Re: Stay the course

    There is a big difference between negativity and realism.

    The facts are today...

    - We tackled poorly.
    - We did not block well at all up front.
    - Few players seemed to play with a high level of fire and emotion.

    Those are all facts. That simple.

    Last year...in those games...mistakes were made by our skill positions (turnovers). Mistakes that can be and were fixed.

    How often are you seeing mistakes made by our skill positions? Not all that many - and when made - it's a situation of desperation. The facts listed above - much harder to fix. Especially that emotion issue.

    Players are born with the intense emotions needed to play football. We need more of that and it doesn't grow on trees.



  6. #6
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    dudeluv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sioux City Iowa
    Posts
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Stay the course

    Then I guess the season truly is over. Bring out the we're gonna be awesome in a few years lines.


    ISU Bet

  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 29,464, Level: 52
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    2,157
    Points
    29,464
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Stay the course

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    There is a big difference between negativity and realism.

    The facts are today...

    - We tackled poorly.
    - We did not block well at all up front.
    - Few players seemed to play with a high level of fire and emotion.

    Those are all facts. That simple.

    Last year...in those games...mistakes were made by our skill positions (turnovers). Mistakes that can be and were fixed.

    How often are you seeing mistakes made by our skill positions? Not all that many - and when made - it's a situation of desperation. The facts listed above - much harder to fix. Especially that emotion issue.

    Players are born with the intense emotions needed to play football. We need more of that and it doesn't grow on trees.
    My jaw dropped when I saw the poor tackling on AD's first TD. Like I said before, guys, don't give up hope on your team. Colorado is defeating TT 17-0 @ half.



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 25,470, Level: 48
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Skyh13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,897
    Points
    25,470
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 2

    Re: Stay the course

    Quote Originally Posted by dudeluv View Post
    I know this won't be a popular read for many of you, but we as fans are running around like chickens with our heads cut off right now. When I think back to the start of the season, I figured that there was a real possibility of us being 3-4 at this point, with two losses being blowouts-Texas and Oklahoma. Turns out my assumption was right, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one to feel this way. I agree with the majority of you that the problem is in the coaching, but to fire anyone at this point of the year would be foolish. All we can do as TRUE fans is to continue to support the team through the HARD times. While our schedule doesn't get a lot easier, I still believe we have a shot at winning 4 of our last 5 games. Most of us knew coming into today that we had little if no shot at winning todays game, yet as soon as the final whistle sounds, we jump all over everyone for their performances. I am not trying to justify the effort today-poor at best, but don't give up on these guys. Next weekend is homecoming and they will need all of us in the stands making as much noise we can in support of our clones. Hope to see you Saturday. Go State.

    I don't know about the rest of you, but of all the people who have spoken of frustration with the coaching staff... I don't think a single one of them has called for a mid-season firing. I dunno, this isn't specifically targeted towards you, dudeluv, but for everyone... I'm really sick and tired of seeing people say "we shouldn't be firing anyone halfway through the season", or any related comments. Nobody has been calling for that (from what I've seen).

    So, to everyone... if a person happens to be on the side of wanting part of the coaching staff gone, don't assume that they want it now, mid-season.


    Go Cyclones.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 136,735, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    herbicide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    8,639
    Points
    136,735
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Stay the course

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    No, I'm just being a realist and stating exactly what happened today.

    Very few are jumping off cliffs and calling for the heads of coaches today.

    I think...we actually saw why we are not playing well today. And it's not really all on the coaches.

    Our offensive line play is horrible and our tackling is very poor as well.

    That's just fact, man.

    I'll be there Saturday with my Meyer jersey on, the wife in her Blythe jersey. I'll have the red wig and she'll be wearing her red Cyclone cap. And we'll be cheering...loud. Win or lose.

    But I won't pretend this team doesn't have big issues that need to be fixed.
    Up your rep for this!!! (if I knew how to do it:( )


    Last edited by herbicide; 10-14-2006 at 06:16 PM.

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 400,900, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    59,361
    Points
    400,900
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 622
    Given: 390

    Re: Stay the course

    Quote Originally Posted by dudeluv View Post
    I wasn't trying to act as though I was impressed with our effort today or the season so far to date. Quite the opposite. However, we have been down this road before-when things looked there worst last year-OT loss to NU, loss at home to Baylor, blown 4th quarter lead to a freshman quarterbacked Mizzou, the team responded with a strong finish. Don't get me wrong with this statement either, I am not happy with our persistant slow starts to a season and a strong finish, but our first 7 games are behind us now. I just hope we can show some of the magic that we showed in the second half of last year again this year. I know that the reason we feel so dissapointed right now is because this thing seems to happen to us year after year. I am as upset as the rest of you, but being as negative toward the team as some are on this site is not the answer. Not saying I know what the answer is, and there is definately a lot of questions, but I know that negativity is not it.
    Maybe we can beat Central Michigan at shreveport if we can win three more.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  11. #11
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Stay the course

    Ok so I agree it is not the coaches. It is the people who teach the players to play and recruit the players to come to ISU. You are right it is not the coaches.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 59,829, Level: 75
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 221
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    guitarchitect7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,318
    Points
    59,829
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: Stay the course

    Well the most disapointing thing about this record is how scrapy we played to get there. A win is a win, but every win has not been pretty.

    If its not the coaches, then its the players. And as far as i am concerned, the Chicgo Cubs didnt care. They were in the same boat. The players all came out and said it wasnt Dusty Bakers fault for this season, but it doesnt matter. Poor performances out of the team will always come back to the coach, and so he left.

    After this season, Mac may be headed for that door. I would hate to see him go. I would like to see if new assistants with different coaching philosophies and game plans can make a difference. But i dont think he gets that chance and is headed to another school. Maybe we can hire the UNI football coach too!



  13. #13
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    dudeluv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sioux City Iowa
    Posts
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Stay the course

    If we hired Farley we would be an even bigger laughingstock in the college football community than we already are. I hate watching Gameday on Saturday and listening to Herbstreet clown on us week after week, year after year. Hiring 2 of UNIs coaches in a year? That's like asking your red headed step child to kick someone elses a** for you.


    ISU Bet

  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 400,900, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    59,361
    Points
    400,900
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 622
    Given: 390

    Re: Stay the course

    Few players seemed to play with a high level of fire and emotion.

    I see more fire and emotion in KSU, Colorado and Kansas than us and they are losing. Our coach acts like he has some fire. What is wrong with having some more emotion on the field. I think we need it at this point in the season or we will go out with a whimper. We are not making turnovers and penalties, but we cannot rush the ball and we cannot string a long grinding drive together. Our longesty drbve of year may have been no more than eight plays.Are we ready to kick some butt???? WE SHOULD BE. WE HAVE BEEN WATCHING WITH DISCOMFORT FOR SEVEN GAMES.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 400,900, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    59,361
    Points
    400,900
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 622
    Given: 390

    Re: Stay the course

    Quote Originally Posted by dudeluv View Post
    If we hired Farley we would be an even bigger laughingstock in the college football community than we already are. I hate watching Gameday on Saturday and listening to Herbstreet clown on us week after week, year after year. Hiring 2 of UNIs coaches in a year? That's like asking your red headed step child to kick someone elses a** for you.
    However, let's presume it will not be until after next season is over.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM