Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knee Pain

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Knee Pain

As an "older" fitness nut, I am becoming more and more disgusted with my knees. They are proving to be a couple wimps, who just don't want to "get with the program".

It doesn't help that I treated them poorly through high school and college athletics, and then a rough and tumble military career.

But lately, for no apparent reason, I'm getting sharp spikes of pain under my left kneecap. It isn't swollen or discolored, and while it feels "weaker", it doesn't really have limited motion.

Plus, both knees used to pop quite audibly upon extension, but this one now likes to "grit" instead of pop.

Anyone have experience with bad knees and have some suggestions?

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

All-Star
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 825
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Re: Knee Pain

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    As an "older" fitness nut, I am becoming more and more disgusted with my knees. They are proving to be a couple wimps, who just don't want to "get with the program".

It doesn't help that I treated them poorly through high school and college athletics, and then a rough and tumble military career.

But lately, for no apparent reason, I'm getting sharp spikes of pain under my left kneecap. It isn't swollen or discolored, and while it feels "weaker", it doesn't really have limited motion.

Plus, both knees used to pop quite audibly upon extension, but this one now likes to "grit" instead of pop.

Anyone have experience with bad knees and have some suggestions?
    I battle with patella tendonitis, especially in my left knee, and I have those same occasional spikes of pain that seem like under the kneecap. Dr. Greenwald in Ames did a scan and told me all that I had wrong was the tendonitis so maybe that is what you have too. I had thought that something like cartilage had come loose but he told me no.
    I know there are physical therapists on here so I'm sure they will offer help!!

Iowa at Iowa State mens basketball 2013
    http://photos.winterinkphotography.com/p376465524

Iowa State Football Photos from the past
    http://photos.winterinkphotography.com/p696287303

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 177
    Given: 27

I used to have terrible knees, and then I started running long distances. Now you would think that would make things worse, but it didn't, it actually made them feel a lot better. Now I have no knee issues anymore, but when I stop running for an extended period it starts coming back. I am guessing I am building some strength in my legs and that is taking the pressure off of my actual knees.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I swear by the old chiropractic treatment. I was diagnosed with Patellar Chondromalacia and they said that they would have to operate to make it worth anything. The chiropractor has been my alternative method and although it takes good time, it was better than getting cut into.

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    I used to have terrible knees, and then I started running long distances. Now you would think that would make things worse, but it didn't, it actually made them feel a lot better. Now I have no knee issues anymore, but when I stop running for an extended period it starts coming back. I am guessing I am building some strength in my legs and that is taking the pressure off of my actual knees.
    I experienced the exact same thing, in the year before this. That is why the sharp pain was such a surprise.

I may experimentally start working running back into my workout as the pain subsides. Provided that it does.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by wesley_w View Post
    I battle with patella tendonitis, especially in my left knee, and I have those same occasional spikes of pain that seem like under the kneecap. Dr. Greenwald in Ames did a scan and told me all that I had wrong was the tendonitis so maybe that is what you have too. I had thought that something like cartilage had come loose but he told me no.
    That would be great news, as tendonitis is not a "you're going to be a cripple" kind of thing.

Rookie
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 492
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 2

I had a similar thing happen to me at the end of last year. Sharp pain and the feeling that the knee was very "weak". Had an xray and scan and found it was just patella bursitis. Got a patch that I put on the knee that localized where the medicine went and that kind of helped. My dad has bursitis in his shoulder and swears by cherry cider/extract and the herb turmeric. I've been using both for about 3 weeks and have very little pain, almost none really. My tennis elbow has dramatically improved as well. Don't know if the stuff really works but its better than getting a shot!

Rookie
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 521
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This may sound silly but take a look at what shoes you are wearing when you exercise. They could be worn out or the incorrect type for your size/activity.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

And yes, I'm getting new shoes tuit suit!

Rookie
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 130
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by wesley_w View Post
    Same story with me but different Dr. I thought I had torn something in my left knee but MRI showed only tendonitis. Pain comes and goes.

All-Star
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 825
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    I experienced the exact same thing, in the year before this. That is why the sharp pain was such a surprise.

I may experimentally start working running back into my workout as the pain subsides. Provided that it does.
    One thing that I changed (as suggested by Dr. Greenwald) was to not run in the street because he told me that the crown in the road would make my feet come down unevenly and that was aggravating my tendonitis.
    Mainly, I've tried to avoid concrete and asphalt altogether except in races and look for running tracks or cross country courses. Another thing is shoes, I get shoes that are mainly rated highly for cushioning. When I start to feel like the shoe is wearing out, I get new ones right away. You can look at the bottoms and check the wear. I used to try to save money and overextend the life of my shoes and that was dumb. I know the cost can be hard for some people but don't let that shoe end up injuring you. Another thing about the soft surfaces is it will extend your shoe life!!!
    Well, I am NOT an expert, but I thought I would throw these suggestions out there. It's just a couple of ideas that have really helped me the last few years!!

Good Luck, Phaedrus. I hope it gets better.

Iowa at Iowa State mens basketball 2013
    http://photos.winterinkphotography.com/p376465524

Iowa State Football Photos from the past
    http://photos.winterinkphotography.com/p696287303

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 7

It's probably either Patella tendinitis, or something that I got after I tore my meniscus, called Pes Anserine Bursitis. If it is patellar tendinits, (commonly called Jumper's knee) then you can buy some straps for $10 that get rid of the pain.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 109
    Given: 129

When I saw a doctor about my patellar tendonitis, he said lots of Ibupofren and stretching my hamstrings. I didn't do the IB's but am a chronic hamstring stretcher and it really seems to do the trick. Haven't had any problems in 4 years and that has included running a lot of miles on concrete.

Exaggeration is a BILLION times worse than understating.

Addict
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 941
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

I had some problems a few years back and the Dr. suggested doing more stretching exercises. The Ham string influences a lot of things in your body and keeping it loose will help.

Also weight gains as small as 10 or 20 pounds can be stressful on the knees as you're carrying more weight.

Good shoes are always a good idea and don't be afraid to spend some money on something that's so important.

Last but not least Ibuprofens are a god send. Cheap medicine that takes care of inflamation and pain. Just be sure to eat food with them or you'll have stomach problems.

Starter
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

FYI, Dr. Greenwald = stud. He performed my ACL reconstruction and I couldn't be happier. He knows his stuff and is a cool guy to boot.