Here's to Hoping for Great Things in '06 - IT CAN HAPPEN!
    All-Star
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Here's to Hoping for Great Things in '06 - IT CAN HAPPEN!

How far can we go in '06? What will our record be? Will will finally make it over the hump? Will the defense step up and avoid a large dropoff from last season? Will Bret Meyer really improve enough to where he's considered an all Big 12 performer? Can Blythe make even tougher catches as coverage on him continues to get tighter? Can Stevie stay healthy? CAN WE REALLY WIN THE NORTH AND COMPETE FOR A BIG 12 TITLE?

These are just some of the questions going through my head right now about the upcoming season. Here's some thoughts;

Our defense, IMO, doesn't need to be great. I'm sure no one expects them to be either. But they do need to be solid. They need to avoid being awful and occasionally be great. Last year, I felt we too often turned into a bend but don't bread defense. This year, I feel that might be the best option. Losing Leaders and Berryman hurts, it hurts real bad, but I think Moorehead and Curvey are studs, and a major part of our run stopping ability will rely on their leadership in achoring that line.
    As for linebackers, I'm actually kind of excited to see how Mckenzie, Bowen, and Carper play together. IMO, they are all undersized. But I think that's OK, because they seem to be talented and speedy, and I think that can make up for a lack of size (sometimes, not always). Can Means or Garrin provide some depth as freshman? Maybe, maybe not. Depth is crucial here but again, we'll be fine if we're solid.
    I don't know why but for some reason I'm not really all that worried about our defensive backfield. I probably should be, but I'm not. It's Jackson's time to shine, and I think he will. I think we'll love having Smith back there. If Singleton and Banks etc. can be solid, we'll be OK.
    And for the record...I considered last years to defense to be more that solid; somewhere between good and great.

Offense is a whole different story. Barney, this line needs to be good. There's a lot of seniors. SENIORS! Just how potent our offense will be will rely on just how good this line can be. 5 senior starters has to equal sucess, it just has to. I don't know if they'll be great, but dangit, they better be pretty good.
    We all know about our receivers. They're great. That's right I said it, we have a GREAT receiving corps. Blythe, Flynn, Davis, RJ - keep doing what you're doing.
    Bret Meyer has a chance this season to really make a name for himself on a national level. He's come a longggg ways in 2 seasons. I expect big things, I really do. I think he'll throw a lot of touchdowns and continue to make better decisions. If the line can protect him, our passing game should be very difficult to stop. "No doubt about it," right Mac? :-) And pleaseee, somebody help the national audience out - Bret is not a dual threat QB! He's a passer, and turning into a darned good one. I don't mind him running straight ahead, because his straight ahead speed is pretty decent, but when running sideways or trying to cut, he is noticably not a threat! Is it seriously just because he's African American that many (outside of Iowa) think hes a "dual-threat?" - I realize he's had some decent runs at times, but please, lets put that debate to rest.
    As for the backs, I think Jason Harris needs to play a big role. Jason, hang on to the ball, and do what you do best - RUN! Dang we haven't had wheels in the backfield for a long time and I think JH can be our guy. Stevie needs to get 100%. We all know he can be sucessful when he's 100% - but will he EVER be? I'm talking the 100% that allows you to practice every day and play every game with no hint of NOT being 100%. Stevie, we need it. Hicks is one of the best blockers we've seen in the backfield in a longgg time, but obviously he can't come in and just block. He needs to be able to get some good yardage...consistantly. I think he can, IF healthy! A combo of Harris and Hicks has the potential to be exactly what we need to take pressure off the passing game. This is critical. If our running game is solid-good, our passing game with be GREAT! VERY GREAT!

Then there's special teams. I don't have much to say here. Bret C. will be solid and so will our punting. Can we bring Yelk back though? How huge was it having him kick balls out of the endzone...IMO, that was a huge part of our run last season.

Welp that is all I have for now. Please feel free to share your comments. I'm looking forward to some big things in '06, because I really think we have the potential to achieve them, and there's NO WAY our season will end in tragedy 3 years in a row! I think the Big 12 Championship game is at Arrowhead this year, is it not? HOW AWESOME WOULD THAT BE TO PLAY THERE (or watch us play their in our case)? LET'S DO IT CYCLONES! WOW THAT'D BE FRICKEN INSANE! I WANT IT SO BAD! LET'S DO IT!

So as someone posted earlier - Get on the bandwagon, pack the Jack, buy the tickets, and get behind this team like it's the last season of ISU football ever. I don't care about the schedule - Bring it on I say!......This Is Our Year! Go 'Clones! 8) ;D

ANF - America Needs Farmers - Thank God Iowa State produces-educates-supports them!

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    What a frickin ******.......

Rookie
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 204
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 18
    It is the person&#39;s opinion so be nice. They are hoping for good things to happen this year, and I am 100% behind him. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 240
    I think what he says is very valid and I think it&#39;s totally possible. Good post dude. Don&#39;t let the hater rain on your parade. I think we&#39;re all very excited for this season. I was seeing some b-roll of game film recently on SoundOff and I just got really excited about next year.

Hey man, Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things...and no good thing ever dies. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]