Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Listened to Coach McFarland last night.

Went accross the River to listen to Coach last night in Council Bluffs. Very good speaker. Lots of good stories. They are very high on a lot of the player they are bringing in. It was truely down to the signing day wire to see if some guys would sign. Sounds like the O-line is in good shape for the future. Said three of the red-shirting freshman would have started on the o line by the end of the season. K.O. T. Beysinger, and Alvarez could all be starters this season. Adrin Houghtin is the real deal. No red shirt for him. He just smiled very big when talking about Bo Williams. Thanks to the CB Omaha Cyclone Club.

Walk On
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Listened to Coach McFarland last night.

Sounds like your on the wrong side of the river!!!

Live for yourself, your family, your friends then your job!!!

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

In more ways than one! LOL

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Can anybody tells anything about the rest of the outting in Council Bluffs?

Rich

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 98

Said three of the red-shirting freshman would have started on the o line by the end of the season. K.O. T. Beysinger, and Alvarez could all be starters this season.
    Alvarez at Center

Guards Reggie S and K.O

Tackles Lamaak, Baysinger, or Doug D

Not bad. Young and improved both. Lots of depth. Ive heard up to 11 Olineman may actually see PT this year.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Said Adrin Haughton will play from the get go. Sounded very excited about him

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 18

Is he going to open up the play calling any? What about the QB situation?

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Speechless
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    Said Adrin Haughton will play from the get go. Sounded very excited about him
    Better make grades and make it to ISU first.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    Better make grades and make it to ISU first.
    Very true. He mentioned that he still had work to do on grades. We need him to come in and play. I actually want to see him on the DL. I think he makes a better OL but we are lacking at DL

Pro
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 457
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 9

Did he mention anything about Cleyon Laing (SP?), the DE that they are bringing down from Canada?

Addict
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 77
    Given: 15

Hmm, interesting. I think we'll see Baysinger and KO start, but I can't see Lamaak, Dedrick, or Stephens losing their spots.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    Hmm, interesting. I think we'll see Baysinger and KO start, but I can't see Lamaak, Dedrick, or Stephens losing their spots.
    To me, the only locks are Dedrick and Baysinger at the tackles. I think that it will be either Avarez or Johnson at center. And the guard spots are wide open...KO, Lamaak and Stephens would be the favorites with Haughtin as a darkhorse if he qualifies.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 93

Quote Originally Posted by snowcraig2.0 View Post
    Then that should give you an idea just how good Baysinger and Haughton are. I don't think that Stephens is one of those to be challenged. Alvarez at center could be an improvement.

Dedrick was undersized, and occasionally struggled with the elite speed rushers; and Lamaak had put on the size, but didn't yet have the commensurate overpowering strength. He had just added too much weight too fast.

Oh yeah--WB might have talked about three "redshirts", but Alvarez is a soph, coming from JC, not a frosh. Klerekoper is the third redshirt frosh--with Carpenter (regrettably) at a JC.

Thanks for the reports, guys!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 406
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

I also went and posted this on Cyclonereport last night. It got a great response from them and kind of dug everyone out of the rut they were in with Cyclone athletics, so I figured I'd post it here too. Hope this helps.

It was a great event! Robert McFarland was a great speaker and was a real cut-up. He answered a TON of questions and I'll try and fill everyone in with what I remember.

First with what I can remember about new recruits.

It was a real battle for Ced. Johnson and we had him commited with about 2 weeks until signing day but we asked him to keep it quiet. His mother knew this all along but said that she though he wasn't serious. No reason to worry about him. His mother is still warming up to it but she is getting used to it.

Leonard Johnson was also a fight and his mother REALLY wanted him to go to USF, basically just like CJ's mom, but he stood up to her and said ISU was the place for him. It seems like our coaching relationships with these kids are what brought them in.

Bo Williams came up about 24 hrs after we contacted him. He fell IN LOVE with ISU on his visit and Rob Mac told a story about him jumping in the snow and doing a snow angel. He said he was a top 5 RB in the country 2 years ago. He said he also got 3rd in the 100 meter dash in the in-door track meet recently and only didn't win because he thought the finish line was earlier than it was. He ran 40 meters in 4.27 secs. No big deal:)

Schwartz will likely play next year but it depends on how he adjusts as a freshman. Said he had a ton of offers and once he visited he knew ISU was the place for him.

Said Haughton is a great player and will play next year. No questions asked. Said he looks like an NFL lineman today. He is one that has academic issues but they are hoping he makes it.

Said Benton was also a late worry. Said that Nebraska tried to sneak him in without us knowing and Bention said he was sorry but felt he had to take the trip. Said the second that he got him he called and apologized for putting the coaches through that and that he is 100% Cyclone.

Said we will likely redshirt our entire O-line class except Haughton if he makes it. Said all tight ends will play tight end execpt Bykowski, he will likely be an olineman. Said Collin Franklin could have played last year but asked to be RS'd when he came in because he wanted to learn how to block. How great is that?!?! Said he has probably put on about 25 lbs of muscles and weights 250 today and can still stretch the field.

Said that Tiller is a special player and fits well into the system. Also said that Spano, the QB that decommitted from Ok State and Committed to Neby called begging us to offer him but we said we were committed to Tiller. Said we knew we could have him but we thought Tiller was better.

Said we have a few guys that can play at WR and Johnson is the best athlete on the field at his size. Said he will be special.

Said Benton and LJ will play next year. Also said Judah Linder could possibly return punts and possibly on special teams. I imagine we'll have a lot of freshman on special teams.

Guyer and Mahoney are the real deal. Said one can kick it through the uprights every kickoff and the other can kick it to the 5 consistently. One is good for kickoffs and the other is for place kicking. Said we were in on about 4-5 kickers and we PICKED these 2. We didn't settle, these were the two in the country we wanted.

Said that Land is playing safety...big hitter and quick.

Said Kennard Banks will play Corner. Said he can hit hard and will play next year. No questions asked. Said KSU tried to screw us over with him and stop him from visiting us but we got him to commit without it.

Forgot this, said that Texas A&M will be delt with for the way they handled CJ's situation. Said we are looking into it right now and we're not backing down. Sounds like we are asking the NCAA to dig into it. GREAT!!!!

Said the DL will be young and new but we may have talent. Said the LB's will be young but FAST!

Said Robinson would have started from day one last year but was still a little bit deer in headlights his first few games so they threw him in special teams to let him get hit a little. Then he picked it up. Said he expects Robinson to start next year.

Sounds like they expect Arnaud to start next year. Said Bates WILL play and compete for QB. Sounds like we want depth at QB so we can take some chances and be fully confient in our backup. Didn't mention if he'd play another position if he didn't win QB. Said Arnaud was hurt for 5 games last year and they had to hide it because Bates was NOT ready to play last year at QB so they didn't run Meyer as much.

Said Arnaud is a much more natural QB and makes natural reactions to plays. Said Meyer just busted his *** every second of his career. I think that sums it up well. Arnaud seems like the more gifted athlete but Meyer was a competitor.

He is VERY excited about the young offensive lineman. The rumors we've heard are true. There may be a whole new offensive line. KO and Baysinger will start. Said KO and Basinger are HUGE MEN. Very excited about them. Said Haughton will be in rotation if he makes it. Said he is trying to keep him at OL. Said he can play either line. Sounds like we will be VERY deep at OL and we could have a good line this year.

Said we may see a weird trend of taking TE's in every class. Said we'll see 6'7" TE's in every class because they convert well to OL and well also look for great TE's that can run, catch, and block.

Said freshman will be in the mix for returning punts and kickoffs.

It was a great event. I tried to cover as much as I could think of. I had so much fun. The booze could be part of it but it was such a great event. McFarland was such a great speaker. He was telling personal stories and cracking jokes all night. I was easily the youngest guy there by about 10 years but I had a blast.

Ask any questions you may have. I'm sure I've forgotten plenty of what he talked about. I tried to go through each position and remember what I could.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

Thanks for posting that, it is refreshing to read stuff like that. I do have high hopes for the offensive line the next few years.