Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Coach Mac give me something to be excited about!

The frustration of being a season basketball ticket holder has really hit me hard again this year. I really like Coach Mac but I'm beginning to question if he is the right fit for Iowa State. He has done a good job with players that he inherited from Coach Morgan and has brought a few players in that look like they are Big 12 caliber but Iowa State is still long ways away from being a top half team in the Big 12 Conference. I really wish Coach Mac and the Clones could pick off a game that they are not suppose to win. All you have to do is look to the west a couple hours over in Lincoln and see what Nebraska has done lately, by picking off three games in a row that they had no business winning, K-State, Oklahoma and AT Texas A&M, they are 17-9 and I would say they have compariable talent as Iowa State. What they have done with these wins has sold hope for the future of their program and kept fans interest. Mac doesn't have that top 25 surprise victory over a team that they shouldn't beat. Then you look that we are losing Rashan and Jiri two good players on a below average team, what does our future look like. To me things look bleak and I hope lots of talent is on its way. Iowa State needs excitement around the basketball program and over the past couple years there has been nothing to grab and build on that excitement. A strong finish could help the future, but a 0-3 finish and a first round loss in the Big 12 Tournament, wow the heat will have to start getting turned on!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,109
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 296

Re: Coach Mac give me something to be exicted about!

B Clone - interesting pic in your post! What caused you to like that shot so much? What caused that situation that is playing out in your pic?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 21

i know it has been talked about alot.. but i will say it again.. his break out year at every school he has been at is the 3rd year.. well next year is the 3rd year.. and next year.. we will have guards that were on the team the year before..

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Pro
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,046
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41

How exactly do you think Nebby has the same talent as we? Is it the number of walk-ons starting for both teams? Is the depth of experience and physical presence of both teams? Is it the deep bench of both teams?

Don't know what to tell you. We're still a good year or two away from being a middle of the pack team. To think we can instantly be a top 4 team just because we want it is naive. CU wants it, as does Nebby, TTech, Baylor, MU, OkSt..... We have to build this thing not just wish it were so.

8 scholarship players left between the time GMac signed on and he had to sign his first recruiting class. He knew of a few that were leaving, but certainly not all. Unless you live in Happyland, to think you can replace 8 scholarship athletes (but only sign 5 a year) at the very last minute and be competitive is goofy.

GMac and JP both knew it was a longer-term rebuilding process. Let it happen and look for the small victories.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 1

Oh, boy...not again.

Where fans have the right to be upset about the lack of success this year and last, there should be absolutely no heat placed on the coaching staff yet. How would any coach do with the myriad of injuries, defections, and ineligibilities the coaching staff has had to deal with?

If we are healthy this year, we have at least 3 more wins, which would have us at 17 wins right now. Not great, but not too bad considering the rebuilding job that is underway.

Have some patience beyond a couple of years, please. The program will be better for it.

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Ok, so hopefully our guards do come, and actually stay, whom are we going to replace Jiri with? There are still lots of questions and holes on this team and next years club.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 474
    Given: 324

I guess people have conveniently forgotten McDermott's initial press conference (and our constant reminders) where he warned the fan base that this was not going to be an overnight fix.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Starter
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well, it's 3:00 the day after a loss, time for the "is McDermott the right fit for ISU" thread

TRUE & VALIANT

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 21

Quote Originally Posted by B Clone View Post
    Ok, so hopefully our guards do come, and actually stay, whom are we going to replace Jiri with? There are still lots of questions and holes on this team and next years club.

We have Alex Thompson, Craig Brackins, Cory Johnson, and i expect to see Wesley Johnson playin some PF next Year

Clinton Mann and Justin Hamilton coming in as freshmen, and maybe another Big but that is yet to be determined

We will have more Depth at the Guard spot since WM left

Future is Def BRIGHT u just have to allow things to happen u cant seriously expect a team like iowa state to have a good year this year when u have no guards returning and u are starting 2 walkon guards(who are pretty good) and on top of that getting screwed over by the ncaa with lucca

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

That's a legitimate question that's been discussed here a lot. A better question, IMO, than questioning whether Mac is a good fit at this point.

I think we become a much more perimeter oriented team, and while that sounds bad when you think about all the threes chucked up this year, we will be a much better perimeter shooting team as well.

Brackins is going to get the Jiri treatment, and be told to keep his butt down low and a guy like AT and Clinton Mann is going to have to bring the rebounding and toughness.

We certainly have holes to fill, and we may not be much better next year, but our luck is bound to be better, and I still think we are on the right path.

Starter
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 486
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The thing I've been most disappointed with is the fact that Brackins defense is still junior high...expected to see him grow here throughout the year, but it almost seems like it has gotten worse.

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 42

I agree with the idea behind the original post, though. There hasn't been much to get fans excited about. People believe in Gmac because of his reputation and rightfully so but he hasn't given the normal ISU fan much to believe in yet. I don't think that's bashing Greg at all, it's just been a difficult season. Hopefully next season can bring us more flashes of what Greg will hopefully do here, even though I'm still expecting next year to be a struggle. I think next season we can win a couple more games and maybe get that signature "upset" that we've been searching for to cap it off.

Starter
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I think we'll be ok... just hang tight.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyTom View Post
    The thing I've been most disappointed with is the fact that Brackins defense is still junior high...expected to see him grow here throughout the year, but it almost seems like it has gotten worse.
    I don't think it's gotten worse, just exploited more.

I'm sure this will be an emphasis along with building strength in the offseason.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 613
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Hope you're ready to write a big check because ISU can't afford to change things now. JP has given GM a year extention the past 2 seasons...so obviously JP sees improvement. Not to mention, you would probably have to get rid of JP too. Everybody is frustrated, but there are a lot of things that go on that the average fan does not see.