Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 58
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 29,464, Level: 52
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    2,157
    Points
    29,464
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Could DSM be getting a second sports station?

    This wouldn't suck if it's true:

    Upper Midwest Broadcasting

    Change is apparently in the works at Citadel's KBGG/1700 (Des Moines), which has dropped its Regional Mexican format and is now looping Queen's "We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions." Records show Citadel reserved the domain name ESPN1700.com earlier this month. KBGG was the first full-time spanish-language station in Iowa, but faced competition from KDLS-FM/105.5 (Perry) in recent years.



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 16,169, Level: 38
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Landshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    1,450
    Points
    16,169
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Could DSM be getting a second sports station?

    ESPN radio would be so nice. Fox radio is just plain awful. Their best show imho is the "First Team on Fox" with Steve Czaban, which we don't get to listen too of course!!! Dan Patrick sucks alone, get Dibble in the room with him soon! Jim Rome is god awful and I mean god awful, if wasn't for his emailer or callers he wouldn't exist.

    Cotlar isn't so bad during the fall and winter, but once the Final Four is over, don't bother listening until late August. I have no problem with Jon Miller or M&M .


    "The Constituiton...is a mere thing of wax in the hands of the judiciary, which they may twist and shape into any form they please."- - -Thomas Jefferson, Sept. 6, 1819.

  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 62,590, Level: 77
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 660
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Ficklone02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    City by the Bay
    Posts
    3,907
    Points
    62,590
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

    Re: Could DSM be getting a second sports station?

    I like Dan's show....although the content was much better back when it aired midday on the jock. Also was a fan of the Kornheiser show.



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 81,662, Level: 88
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 288
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,786
    Points
    81,662
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 0

    Re: Could DSM be getting a second sports station?

    It'll be interesting who they can get for local talent. ESPN for the national stuff is a good start, but a sports station is known for the local sports talk. I like Jon and M&M when its not baseball season so I'd be interested to see if they could land someone to get people to switch.

    Oh yeah, and being able to get a signal to the West side of Ames would be nice too. At my house I can get 590 out of Omaha (which also has a good afternoon guy) but I can't get 1460 without major static.



  5. #5
    Pro
    Points: 119,141, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    balken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,643
    Points
    119,141
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Could DSM be getting a second sports station?

    Kornheiser and Andy Polley were good. I liked Tony Bruno once in awhile; whaterever happened to him? I enjoy about 2 minutes of Jim Rome every six months, but then he wears a little thin.

    All of that said, maybe KBGG/1700 should just loop Queen. I could probably go for 2 minutes of that every month. That is 6x the ratings over Rome right off the top.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 16,169, Level: 38
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Landshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    1,450
    Points
    16,169
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Could DSM be getting a second sports station?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ficklone02 View Post
    I like Dan's show....although the content was much better back when it aired midday on the jock. Also was a fan of the Kornheiser show.

    I was working nights when Tony's show was on, but one morning I got up early enough to hear it. I was laughing the whole time. From then on I set my alarm for Tony's show and just laid in bed and listened or slept or listened or slept. (I usually didn't go to bed till 3:00 am or so.)


    "The Constituiton...is a mere thing of wax in the hands of the judiciary, which they may twist and shape into any form they please."- - -Thomas Jefferson, Sept. 6, 1819.

  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 16,169, Level: 38
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Landshark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    1,450
    Points
    16,169
    Level
    38
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Could DSM be getting a second sports station?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post
    Oh yeah, and being able to get a signal to the West side of Ames would be nice too. At my house I can get 590 out of Omaha (which also has a good afternoon guy) but I can't get 1460 without major static.

    590 comes in pretty good this time of year and they actually play the entire "First Team on Fox" show. I listen to it alot on the way to Story City.


    "The Constituiton...is a mere thing of wax in the hands of the judiciary, which they may twist and shape into any form they please."- - -Thomas Jefferson, Sept. 6, 1819.

  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 78,532, Level: 87
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,618
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    twojman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Clive
    Posts
    4,409
    Points
    78,532
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 19

    Re: Could DSM be getting a second sports station?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post
    It'll be interesting who they can get for local talent. ESPN for the national stuff is a good start, but a sports station is known for the local sports talk. I like Jon and M&M when its not baseball season so I'd be interested to see if they could land someone to get people to switch.

    Oh yeah, and being able to get a signal to the West side of Ames would be nice too. At my house I can get 590 out of Omaha (which also has a good afternoon guy) but I can't get 1460 without major static.

    My guess on the first local talent is Andy Fales.

    Bookie event anyone?


    Last edited by twojman; 02-22-2008 at 10:02 PM.

  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 119,141, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    balken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,643
    Points
    119,141
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

    Re: Could DSM be getting a second sports station?

    Quote Originally Posted by twojman View Post
    My guess on the first local talent is Andy Fales.
    I think we have a winner! I had forgotten this but Andy said in an interview when he went to KC that he liked the format and would like to do radio. I do hope it happens - nice to have an alternative to 1460.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 85,495, Level: 90
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    superdorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    6,948
    Points
    85,495
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Could DSM be getting a second sports station?

    Wait a minute... everyone on this board thinks Andy Fales is a no talent hack.



  11. #11
    Rookie
    Points: 10,393, Level: 30
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Chad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ankeny, IA
    Posts
    424
    Points
    10,393
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Could DSM be getting a second sports station?

    Had ESPN radio in Sioux Falls and could not believe it wasnt here....Would be so nice...



  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 29,464, Level: 52
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 286
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    2,157
    Points
    29,464
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Could DSM be getting a second sports station?

    My guess is that KBGG will be airing the Queen loop all weekend and if indeed it's ESPN Radio, they'll flip the switch first thing Monday morning with Mike & Mike.

    As far as local shows go, I think Mike & Mike will crush Cotlar, perhaps they'll do something local in the afternoon, either way, Stephen A. Smith would be an improvement over Jon Miller.

    KBGG's daytime signal covers all of Central Iowa, but at night, their signal is pretty much metro only.

    link to coverage area: Radio-Locator: KBGG-AM: Radio Station Information Page



  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 23,771, Level: 47
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 779
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    ketchupnmustard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,009
    Points
    23,771
    Level
    47
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 11

    Re: Could DSM be getting a second sports station?

    Quote Originally Posted by garn91 View Post
    My guess is that KBGG will be airing the Queen loop all weekend and if indeed it's ESPN Radio, they'll flip the switch first thing Monday morning with Mike & Mike.

    As far as local shows go, I think Mike & Mike will crush Cotlar, perhaps they'll do something local in the afternoon, either way, Stephen A. Smith would be an improvement over Jon Miller.

    KBGG's daytime signal covers all of Central Iowa, but at night, their signal is pretty much metro only.

    link to coverage area: Radio-Locator: KBGG-AM: Radio Station Information Page

    Yeah, some competition would be nice. I can't turn the station fast enough when M&M start talking about horse racing. As if...


    "The bass, the rock,
    The mic, the treble,
    I like my coffee black,
    Just like my metal."

  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 80,785, Level: 88
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,165
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jumbopackage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,465
    Points
    80,785
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 8

    Re: Could DSM be getting a second sports station?

    Quote Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
    ESPN radio would be so nice. Fox radio is just plain awful. Their best show imho is the "First Team on Fox" with Steve Czaban, which we don't get to listen too of course!!! Dan Patrick sucks alone, get Dibble in the room with him soon! Jim Rome is god awful and I mean god awful, if wasn't for his emailer or callers he wouldn't exist.

    Cotlar isn't so bad during the fall and winter, but once the Final Four is over, don't bother listening until late August. I have no problem with Jon Miller or M&M .
    I like JT the Brick. everything else on fox is awful, IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by balken View Post
    Kornheiser and Andy Polley were good. I liked Tony Bruno once in awhile; whaterever happened to him? I enjoy about 2 minutes of Jim Rome every six months, but then he wears a little thin.
    Rome is horrible. Kornheiser was the best show on sports talk radio ever, IMO. Mainly because he didn't talk about sports very often, and MOSTLY because he didn't have athletes on the show. I totally agree with him that 94% of the time, athletes themselves have nothing important to say. You get the same 4 minute sound bite every time, and its a waste of time. He's one of the few guys who I still think of as a journalist that is affiliated with ESPN, and I very much appreciate that.

    ESPN radio is pretty tolerable, really. I've been listening to it on XM for years, but it's really pretty formulaic these days. Mike & mike are ok, and Collin Cowherd is alright.

    As long as they don't give Andy Fales a microphone I suspect it will be a success.



  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 204,533, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    dmclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,406
    Points
    204,533
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 231
    Given: 335

    Re: Could DSM be getting a second sports station?

    Man I hope this true. If they just put someone one half decent from 3-6 they would own this market. When Deace was at KXNO you would hear both Hawkeye and Cyclones callers all the time. Now there are very few Cyclone callers. Also, if I hear one more time how Jon Miller doesn't drink any longer, church talk, or clips of his child I may puke.

    Lets get someone on the mic that a little personality. M&M are OK when they are going off on someone but other than that they are also hard to listen to.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports 1
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM