Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 426
    Given: 181

The Defense

Does anyone else think the defense is really improving?

After watching the 2nd half of the UNI game and the Nebraska game, I really think they are starting to come together. They are starting to come up with big stops. If our offense could put up any kind of points, that would help!

They still have lapses that cost us points (Nebraska's late 1st half TD) but they held Neb. to 21 meaningful points and that is a high powered offense.

They also looked good for parts of the game at Texas.

Here is what I've seen as progress:
    Toledo - Bad
    UNLV - Pretty Bad
    Iowa - Pretty Bad
    Texas - Flashes of good
    UNI - Pretty good with a couple mistakes
    Nebraska - Good with a couple mistakes
    OU - ????

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 339
    Given: 240

Re: The Defense

Keep in mind, in the last 3 games the opposing team has had at least a 14 point lead on us for a significant part of the game.

Unless we're facing a team/coach that will always keep the accelerator to the floor, that'll make most defenses "look good".

I do think our defense is improving, don't get me wrong. I am seeing the same types of things you are. I just wanted to keep this in perspective.

Remember, when it mattered our defense allowed UNLV and UNI to drive down the field on the last possession - giving those two teams chances to score and win the game. That is a product of a young, inexperienced defense.

In order to mature, they'll need to come up with a big stop at a very critical part of the game. Lets do it in Norman!

All-Star
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 773
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

I think we'll have the opportunity for some big plays on offense and defense Saturday. We just need to take advantage of them. Similar to Texas A&M last year, I think there is a a level of disrespect for Iowa State from their whole program. And rightly so, we haven't been competitive with any Bobby Stoops teams. It will be critical to get off to a good start Saturday!

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 426
    Given: 181

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    In order to mature, they'll need to come up with a big stop at a very critical part of the game. Lets do it in Norman!
    I'm pretty sure the 2-pt converstion play against Toledo and the last play of the UNLV game classify as big stops considering both of them won us the game.

Other than that, I agree with you. What I was saying it's nice to see the defense improving rather than staying stagnent like the offense.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    I'm pretty sure the 2-pt converstion play against Toledo and the last play of the UNLV game classify as big stops considering both of them won us the game.

Other than that, I agree with you. What I was saying it's nice to see the defense improving rather than staying stagnent like the offense.
    Right, they did it on a single play. However, they continued to allow Toledo into the end zone in OT, they allowed UNLV to drive down the field and for UNI to get into field goal range.

3 close games...3 defensive breakdowns on critical drives. We were very fortunate in each of those games.

I do agree they defense has gotten better. Just not at the rate of what the 2nd half scoring by the opposition in the last 3 games shows.

Pro
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 653
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

I agree with most of the comments in this thread. This defense IS getting better, which should be expected. It's a young defense, if they aren't improving with additional experience something is wrong.

I think people are overestimating the improvement after seeing the second half of the Nebraska game. Nebraska, a West Coast offense, threw a grand total of five passes in the second half of the game. Was the second-half performance a result of improvement of the defense or Nebraska calling off the dogs? We all saw EXACTLY what that offense could do in the last minute and a half of the first half.

The next two weeks will show us just how much our defense has improved.

Addict
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 221
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

i agree its hard to judge a defense against teams that play conservative when they are up significantely. But i am sure the coach isnt happy that the team isnt scoring as well. No matter how conservative the play calling is. So that is some props for the defense. I dont think any team wants to score less that 7 points in a half. that is barely hanging onto the lead. So for a defense to hold a team to that many points is props itself. Now, put them up against an aggressive, fast pased team that goes %110 the whole game you might see a different outcome entirely. But that is no reason to hold that against our guys that we havent seen that. UNI was probably the first testament to that style of play with as close of a game it was, but they still held that team to only 6 points the second half. Indeed they couldnt stop them on the final drive, or did they. To make a kicker try a 52 yard field goal is a good stop. Not great, but good. So I say hats off to the defense, and play on.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 504
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 45

I agree that the D is really getting better. If someone would have said before the Nebraska game that we would allow 28 points (as said above, really 21 quality points), I think most of us would have said VICTORY!!

Overall I think the defense is ahead of where we all thought they would be while the offense is obviously way behind.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneted View Post
    Overall I think the defense is ahead of where we all thought they would be while the offense is obviously way behind.
    Definitely ahead. Considering the amount of time they spend on the field, I think the D is one of the only pleasant surprises of the season. If they were as bad as I thought they would be, we would be 0-6, and sporting a few losses by 30 or more.

The Portland, Oregon cyclone fan
    Class of 91

If life isn't fun, your doing it wrong.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 65

In my opinion, the defense isn't great, but it isn't the problem.

I put a lot of the blame for Nebraska's TD at the end of the first half on the offense. Our offense had the ball first and ten with a minute and change and proceeded to do absolutely nothing. Same story with the Iowa game.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 110

Quote Originally Posted by tim_redd View Post

I put a lot of the blame for Nebraska's TD at the end of the first half on the offense. Our offense had the ball first and ten with a minute and change and proceeded to do absolutely nothing. Same story with the Iowa game.
    Totally agree. NU had burned all their timeouts. One first down and we go into the locker room no worse than 7 points down.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 631
    Given: 397

Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    I agree with most of the comments in this thread. This defense IS getting better, which should be expected. It's a young defense, if they aren't improving with additional experience something is wrong.

I think people are overestimating the improvement after seeing the second half of the Nebraska game. Nebraska, a West Coast offense, threw a grand total of five passes in the second half of the game. Was the second-half performance a result of improvement of the defense or Nebraska calling off the dogs? We all saw EXACTLY what that offense could do in the last minute and a half of the first half.

The next two weeks will show us just how much our defense has improved.
    The Nebraska rushing game portion is better than their passing game due to the many dropped passes that normally happen to their receivers.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 80.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 631
    Given: 397

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    Totally agree. NU had burned all their timeouts. One first down and we go into the locker room no worse than 7 points down.
    Bret and gang have routinely failed in two years to make that critical play when needed because the opponent blitzes like hell in those situations. That happened in the three overtime losses and continues this year, excerpt maybe in the Toledo overtime and UNI second half. The 3rd and 4 to go which was a a great call on swing pass to outside was negated by a poor Scott Stephonson snap to the left side of Bret who managed to scoop it up and wing it out there anyway for a three yard completion. McC decides to punt at a critical point in the first half. One mistake - off center center snap and we had to punt and the game started to turn. Seems like we have abiout eight-ten possessions a game and we need to do better to make them count. Or we will not see the lights of Shreveport.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 110

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Bret and gang have routinely failed in two years to make that critical play when needed because the opponent blitzes like hell in those situations. That happened in the three overtime losses and continues this year, excerpt maybe in the Toledo overtime and UNI second half. The 3rd and 4 to go which was a a great call on swing pass to outside was negated by a poor Scott Stephonson snap to the left side of Bret who managed to scoop it up and wing it out there anyway for a three yard completion. McC decides to punt at a critical point in the first half. One mistake - off center center snap and we had to punt and the game started to turn. Seems like we have abiout eight-ten possessions a game and we need to do better to make them count. Or we will not see the lights of Shreveport.
    This is why it is so critical to be able to run a good screen pass play, or have a hot route receiver so when Bret reads blitz he can either audible out of the called play (which is usually a run up the middle), or dump off a quick pass to try to burn the blitzing defense. We're just defenseless against the blitz. It seems like the coaches believe that Bret is athletic enough to get away from the blitz and still have time to have the receivers running their planned routes. By the same token, the receivers need to be watching for the blitz as well and they need to help their QB out by breaking off their route if necessary to get Bret a shorter, quicker throw so he can avoid the blitz.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tim_redd View Post

Yup, I agree 100%.

Similar thing could be said of the Texas game, yet of the silly play by Parker. Instead of being down 23-14 (maybe WE score before the half), we're down 30-14. I'm not sure it would have made a difference on the W/L outcome, but that was a key play to the game.

The defense has put us in some tough positions but really has yet to cost us a game. The offense however, you can put the Iowa and Nebraska loss directly on their shoulders.