Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Computer Memory Questions

So I have a computer that needs PC800-45 memory. I don't know a lot about this, but know that it has 4 slots and currently 2 of them are full of these 256mb identical ones making up 512MB. My question is first if I can just buy another pair of 256mb and put them in the blank slots and have over a GB or if I would have to get a pair of 512mb. What also is the most that I can put in for memory in these slots without problems? Where can I be assured to get the best price?

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 44

Re: Computer Memory Questions

Talk to neighbor Cecil......He has a big tote full of memory cards he would get you for free or pretty darn cheap.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I left a message and got no answer or return phone call. Neighbors must be knocking boots!!!

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Starter
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by CY ST8T View Post
    So I have a computer that needs PC800-45 memory. I don't know a lot about this, but know that it has 4 slots and currently 2 of them are full of these 256mb identical ones making up 512MB. My question is first if I can just buy another pair of 256mb and put them in the blank slots and have over a GB or if I would have to get a pair of 512mb. What also is the most that I can put in for memory in these slots without problems? Where can I be assured to get the best price?
    The amount of memory (RAM) you can have is dependent on the motherboard you have. You'll need the model of number. Not sure what kind of PC you have. By chance do you have a manual for the motherboard? That info would be in there. Otherwise you might have to open it up and see if you can find it online.

I generally buy RAM online from tigerdirect. In my experiences, I haven't had any problems with either Kingston or PNY brand RAM. It's generally inexpensive. Also they ship out of Illinois so it's basically overnight.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 878
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by MadCy View Post
    The amount of memory (RAM) you can have is dependent on the motherboard you have. You'll need the model of number. Not sure what kind of PC you have. By chance do you have a manual for the motherboard? That info would be in there. Otherwise you might have to open it up and see if you can find it online.

I generally buy RAM online from tigerdirect. In my experiences, I haven't had any problems with either Kingston or PNY brand RAM. It's generally inexpensive. Also they ship out of Illinois so it's basically overnight.
    What he said. Yes it's fine to have different sized chips of RAM. Provided your machine can have more memory you should also put the biggest stick in the first slot. I always buy mammory[sic] from Memory upgrades, flash media, and usb storage at Crucial.com . They've also got a nifty little utility that will tell you what kind of ram you should buy if you've got a vendor machine, meaning you didn't build it on your own. They're prices are usually cheap as well.