Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Talk about stating the obvious...

This article from the DM Rag featuring Scott Stephenson sums it up...
    http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pb...0602/610120417

What, does he think we fans are blind AND ignorant? Of course, we all know it's the offense. But I have to disagree with the fact that it's in the execution. Like it's been said time and time again around these boards, so much of it is game planning too.

I really hope the Cyclones can pull out there patented mid-season run soon. Otherwise, it will be a dismal fall in Cyclone land...

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 250
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 226

Re: Talk about stating the obvious...

Just read the article and sounds like we have a coaching problem when guys miss blocks or don't know their assignments. The o-line is struggling, we can't move the ball, the offense is bland, all points to one person!

Go Cyclones!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 370
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 33

this is the quote that is just sad

"It's the same team we had last year," Stephenson said. "Everyone has been playing - either you don't remember the plays or whatever. It's one guy who isn't executing a block. A couple plays later, another guy isn't executing a block."

How do you not remember the plays when you run the same ones over and over? Forgetting the plays is something you when your on the JV team in High school.

Facebook Knows All
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 677
    Given: 396

Quote Originally Posted by Nedrick View Post
    This article from the DM Rag featuring Scott Stephenson sums it up...
    http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pb...0602/610120417

What, does he think we fans are blind AND ignorant? Of course, we all know it's the offense. But I have to disagree with the fact that it's in the execution. Like it's been said time and time again around these boards, so much of it is game planning too.

I really hope the Cyclones can pull out there patented mid-season run soon. Otherwise, it will be a dismal fall in Cyclone land...
    You disagree with the starting center when he says it's execution? Any reason why? I'm pretty sure he has a little bit better idea what's going on than you do...Also from what everyone says, practice goes well and it just isn't happening in games.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

I know people are frustrated as am I, but if this is all BC's fault why was our offense performing so much better last year? I don't recall fans asking for BC's head last year, so maybe it is more complicated then placing blame on one coach.

I have a theory that part of the explaination for our offensive woes was the establishment of co-offensive coordinators after last season. Everyone wants to blame BC, but he is only half of the offensive coordinator position. SB is the passing game coordinaotor and BC is the running game coordinator. Maybe this divided structure is the root cause of the offenses problems.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 593
    Given: 364

Quote Originally Posted by mt85 View Post
    I know people are frustrated as am I, but if this is all BC's fault why was our offense performing so much better last year? I don't recall fans asking for BC's head last year, so maybe it is more complicated then placing blame on one coach.
    You know...I've been gravitating to the side that questions what Cotton's been doing. You make a helluva point though. Really...a very good point.

Our offensive line has not improved from last year to this year...even with almost all veterans. I'm not sure why or who is at fault - but it needs corrected immediately. Hopefully our center has had enough and is smashing heads together.

Again, very good point. I need to ponder that a bit more.

I have a theory that part of the explanation for our offensive woes was the establishment of co-offensive coordinators after last season. Everyone wants to blame BC, but he is only half of the offensive coordinator position. SB is the passing game coordinator and BC is the running game coordinator. Maybe this divided structure is the root cause of the offenses problems.
    SB? Who is that? Todd Fitch is the QB coach and passing game coordinator. To the best of my knowledge, everyone in Ames and many in the football world think Fitch is a very brilliant man. Myself included, having attended one of his sessions at the coach's clinic in April.

You do bring up another good point though. Until this year, I've never heard of an offensive coordinator and a passing game coordinator. That could very well be creating an issue with all the split responsibilities.

Cotton - Offensive coordinator and offensive line coach
    Fitch - Passing game coordinator and QB coach

Perhaps we need to split that out some...

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

ISUfan22 you are correct. TF is correct. I knew that, but for some reason as I was typing Steve Brickey came out of my keyboard.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Incoherent Ramblings

Note; I posted this on another thread, but it belongs here;

After some deep thought, I wonder if the problems (on offense) are all team chemistry related, which the coaching staff only (IMO) has limited controll over. I have thought for awhile that there is someting beyond what we as fans can see going on with this group. Let me elaborate;

-Last season (2005) should have been a breakout 10 win season. I lived in Ames at that time, and I had the same barber as McCarney. I was told by her that McCarney said that he thought they would win 10 games on the schedule and go to a BCS bowl. (side note, she also was Steve Loney's barber and said he really wanted to stay in Ames but the $$ and opportunity to go to the Vikings was too much to turn down, and McCarney felt like it was a huge loss to the team when he left.)

We all know that this did not happen. Look at the Baylor loss (and the Kansas loss for that matter) We should have easily beat both teams NO MATTER the playcalling. I know Stevie was hurt, but come on, he is good but he is not that good. The team flat out did not execute in those games.

-This season the offense returns 10/11 starters on offense, same coaching, same scheme, etc., and they look worse than they did at anytime last season, or even in 2004. Remember that 2004 was the year that we could move the ball, but had absolutely no luck in the red zone, and also the year of the quarterback war.

Scientifically speaking, the coaching, scheme, players have stayed constant, so there must be some other "variable" in the mix gumming up the works.

We all knew what to expect on defense, so on that side of the ball, I'd say we are doing a smidgen better than I expected.

Don't mistake this as a defense of the coaching, because there are many things I think they could improve on. (like the offensive scheme with our current personnel)

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    You disagree with the starting center when he says it's execution? Any reason why? I'm pretty sure he has a little bit better idea what's going on than you do...Also from what everyone says, practice goes well and it just isn't happening in games.
    OK, OK... I don't completely disagree with Stephenson. My point was just that execution isn't the ONLY issue with the line.

Facebook Knows All
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The more I think about this, the more I come to this conclusion: I think that our offense didn't get any better from last year to this year...no player development. However, we are playing better teams. Other teams have improved, we have not.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I can't understand how Missou came out of nowhere. They've been miserable for so many years and now... 6-0. I wonder what happened to make everything click for them.

Facebook Knows All
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Nedrick View Post
    I can't understand how Missou came out of nowhere. They've been miserable for so many years and now... 6-0. I wonder what happened to make everything click for them.
    I was thinking the same thing so I checked their schedule. It's not a surprise they are 6-0 after looking at that.
    Murray State W 47-7Mississippi W 34-7at New Mexico W 27-17Ohio W 31-6Colorado W 28-13at Texas Tech W 38-21

The only impressive victory is at Texas Tech. Their NC schedule is laughable. I'm not sure how good Tech is but to win on the road is impressive.

They have a similar schedule to us last year except they have OU on the schedule but its at home. Will they get it done unlike we did?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 881
    Given: 620

The more I think about this, the more I come to this conclusion: I think that our offense didn't get any better from last year to this year...no player development. However, we are playing better teams. Other teams have improved, we have not.
    Looks like Tom Schmelling gets the blame the way Scott lines it up.

IMO
    Stevie Hicks is better than he was.
    The receivers appear better.
    Tight ends are better.
    Bret is better.
    Shaggy is better.
    Punting is now as good.
    Baum is doing well.
    Playcalling is worse.
    Play choice is worse.
    Strategy is worst.
    Defensive ends are by far worse.
    Linebackers are better IMO. Make more tackles than last year.
    Left side of oline moves like molasses when they need to run like ketchup.
    Defense is not overall as good, but that was expected. That may directly be the result of no turnovers of consequence. I believe we had 50 points more off turnovers last year.
    Is that the real difference? Might be a good poll question. We do not have the 15 extra turnovers from last year that helped us win the games.
    So do you design your offense around the making the left side of the line look better?

Last edited by Wesley; 10-12-2006 at 01:30 PM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 2

I was thinking the same thing so I checked their schedule. It's not a surprise they are 6-0 after looking at that.
    Murray State W 47-7Mississippi W 34-7at New Mexico W 27-17Ohio W 31-6Colorado W 28-13at Texas Tech W 38-21

The only impressive victory is at Texas Tech. Their NC schedule is laughable. I'm not sure how good Tech is but to win on the road is impressive.

They have a similar schedule to us last year except they have OU on the schedule but its at home. Will they get it done unlike we did?

Everyone has been jumping on the Missouri bandwagon because they are 6-0, but look at the weak schedule and the only good win is at Texas Tech. I wouldn't be ready to say that they have been that impressive. They will probably lose 3-4 of their last six games, but still finish with a good record.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 593
    Given: 364

Excellent, excellent point. Will be interesting to see how they finish.