Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39
    Given: 37

Gas Grills

Researching gas grills - wanted to solicit some opinions. Looking to buy in the next week or two. Went to Lowes, Home Depot and True Value.

At Lowes, we found this grill...

Perfect Flame 5-Burner Gas Grill (model #SLG2007D) - Gas Grill Review

It's a Perfect Flame brand, huge BTU output (65k) and plenty of cooking space. It's the 2007 model, so they have it marked way down - $267. An added plus, it's the gas version which is what we'll be after (we ran a gas line out under the deck so we no longer need a propane tank).

My concern with this grill is the quality and huge BTU size. I certainly want a grill that heats up quick, maintains it and has plenty of cooking space. But I'm after one that is of very good quality and will be able to keep it for a long time. The under $300 is tough to pass up though.

Saw a couple Char-Broil grills I was interested in, one being the TEC grill with full or partial infrared burners. Not familiar with these at all and would be interested in feedback.

True Value had some Weber grills (the other two stores didn't really have any) but not much of a selection there either. I continue to hear Weber is the way to go, just not thrilled to pay that price but will - if it makes sense.

Basically - anyone bought these Perfect Flame grills and if so - thoughts on them? Any/all feedback appreciated. :)

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 7

Re: Gas Grills

WE got one of these 10 years ago:

Welcome to Weber.com

Of course it is a little different than the current models, but it is a really nice grill. Really easy to cook on, and you really have to try hard to burn things. Ours has sat outside in the elements for 10 years and is still holding up well.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Addict
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,583
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Never heard of perfect flame. I cook on a weber charcoal grill, but I'd like to get a genesis at some point just for convenience.

I don't think I'll ever by anything that's not a weber, but I'm just picky.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah, I was looking at those. I like 'em. Just trying to convince myself I like them enough to pay that much more.

I've also heard that a grill with the burners running right to left instead of front to back are better. I can see cases for both sides there.

Weber runs right to left (left to right). Perfect Flame runs the other way.

Addict
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,556
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Let's face it: Friends don't let friends cook with propane. My FIL threw out his gas grill the day after he saw my "method" for cooking with charcoal. Once you learn how, it's just about as convenient as gas, too.

You can do anything with charcoal that you can do with gas, only the food tastes good with charcoal.

I'm baaack! See my Hot Milk For Breakfast blog under Social Groups for more details

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 5

I went with a JenAir (or however you spell it). Cost more than the stove in my house but, man, that thing is sweet!

Addict
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,583
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
    Let's face it: Friends don't let friends cook with propane. My FIL threw out his gas grill the day after he saw my "method" for cooking with charcoal. Once you learn how, it's just about as convenient as gas, too.

You can do anything with charcoal that you can do with gas, only the food tastes good with charcoal.
    I endorse this product/service.

With a chimney starter and a couple pieces of newspaper a charcoal grill can be ready in nearly the same amount of time as a gas grill.

I think it tastes way better too, IMO. Sometimes it's just convenient to turn a knob and come back though. Especially if you grill in the winter time.

Addict
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 649
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

My recommendation on gas grills: Don't Buy One.

Cavemen cooked with coal, so can you. If you truly learn how to cook with charcoal, it's all you'll ever need.

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Yes, charcoal always tastes better, at first. However, I have a cheap gas grill that after about 6 months, it tastes awesome. I've thrown some lava coals into it and I know where all the hot spots are so I can cook whatever meat I want at whatever temp I want and it tastes great. I wouldn't trade it in for anything else. I can grease fire if I want to sear some meat or I can slow cook it if I want. The more I cook on it, the better it tastes.

Last edited by CTAClone; 02-24-2008 at 12:30 AM.
    "If you can't hear me, it's because I'm in parentheses."

Starter
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 209
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I just bought this Char Broil grill at Lowe's last summer, and I have been very pleased with it. I did a lot of homework before I bought, and I chose this model because it got extremely high marks from Consumer Reports. At $300, it beat out grills that cost two and three times as much in Consumer Reports' performance tests. For what it's worth, 22, the Char Broil grill was rated higher than every Perfect Flame model that Consumer Reports reviewed, including ones that were considerably more expensive.

BvK, you've got to quit making so much sense because I "must spread some rep around" before giving more to you.
    (Original quote by wonkadog.)

All-Star
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 782
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CTAClone View Post
    Yes, charcoal always tastes better, at first. However, I have a cheap gas grill that after about 6 months, it tastes awesome. I've thrown some lava coals into it and I know where all the hot spots are so I can cook whatever meat I want at whatever temp I want and it tastes great. I wouldn't trade it in for anything else. I can grease fire if I want to sear some meat or I can slow cook it if I want. The more I cook on it, the better it tastes.
    You sir, are spot on!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I've done charcoal before - many times. Grew up grilling that way.

As noted, after a while, the gas grills can taste just as good because of the flavor being left on the grill. Also, I grill year round - 90 degrees or below freezing...doesn't matter. I appreciate the feedback, yet I'm only seeking a gas grill.

BvK- I looked at the model you're referring to. It's my understanding that Char-Broil makes Perfect Flame (you'll notice they look very similar). I'm not able to see ratings/reviews on Consumer Reports as I'm not a subscriber.

But bbq.about.com had both the Char-Broil and Perfect Flame models rated as average/low quality. I'll admit, I'm a bit leery of that as I bought a lower quality grill around 7 years ago, have had to maintain it more than I should have and now need to replace it.

I think after some research last night, I'm leaning toward a Weber. I'm not at all thrilled about paying that price - but want a grill that will last me a long time and has the good support of the manufacturer if something should go wrong.

Rookie
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I've actually been known to put a little cherry or apple wood on top of the lava rocks with a fair level of success. Trick is to not put too much wood on.
    I don't know if this will offset those who have a preference to charcoal. I agree the convenience of gas is tough to beat. I own two grills. If I'm cooking a roast or a bird I'll use the weber charcoal. Something easy, like burgers, I'll use the gas.

I think the Weber you're looking at would be a fine model. I don't think however, that those premium brands, "holland and jenn air" can really justify their costs.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I actually didn't link a Weber model I'm looking at, just that Perfect Flame grill that is a drastically marked-down '07 model.

This is the Weber I have my eye on (and really like), just trying to convince myself I like it enough to pay for it. :)

Weber Genesis E-320

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I would have to say pay the extra for a Weber. I have a 10+ year old and it will still lite up on the very first try, summer or winter. When I moved into my first home a few years ago, I convinced my dad to get a new stainless steel model and give me his Weber. Let's just say he still regrets that decision. He bought his at Lowes, can't remember if it was a Perfect Flame or CharBroil.