Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 0

Serious Question...

Should ISU even play Iowa anymore? Honestly, I don't really know what there is to gain at this point. It's a nice rivalry, but nobody nationally really cares about it. Before, it was good for an instant selllout, and when you have trouble putting butts in the seats that's important. But we sold more tickets this year for the UNI and Nebraska game than we did for the Iowa game last year.

I know this is purely hypothetical, because the series will be continued no matter what. But wouldn't it be better to play a team in a recruiting area, such as a marginal Big East team like UCF? Nice Florida exposure there with a home and home. What about a game against a Pac-10 team that isn't great, like UCLA? Getting us some exposure in those areas seems more valuable than playing a game against Iowa who gets most of the top in-state talent anyway.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 342
    Given: 243

Re: Serious Question...

The Iowa-ISU game is good for the fans. And, fans are the reason college football, or any sporting event, exists.

As you noted, it'll never change. And, I hope it never does. Pollard and Barta both understand the value and importance of the Iowa-ISU rivalry. I look for them to do more things like the billboard in order to add spice to this rivalry.

We're doing better with the in-state recruits and I attribute part of that to our wins over the Hawks. If that game goes away, I see it hurting us far more than it would Iowa - especially if we continue to be competative with the Hawks.

Pro
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 526
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 2

The reason why we sold more tickets for the games this year is bc the band is not taking up seats and Polland is FILLING the hillside. The old mentality was to sell X number of hillsides. Now it is sell, sell, sell; you cant fit enough people in the area.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Its a useless game for ISU to play.

We wouldn't recruit any worse if we did not play Iowa.

We'd still sell tickets, not as many, for that one game every other year, but it could be made up.

Our schedule would not need to be as difficult or we could schedule a team that could help more with recruiting.

How is it good for the fans? Every time that we have punked EIU, their fans refuse to give ISU any credit. When EIU wins, they think its just typical. You will never win an argument with an EIU fan because they are not logical.

No, it is a game that has absolutely no upside for ISU.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We're doing better with the in-state recruits and I attribute part of that to our wins over the Hawks.
    We're doing fantastic with in-state recruits that the Hawks aren't recruiting very hard. We got Arnaud, and Scales..., other than that show me the players the Hawks were recruiting hard. Look at this year. We clubbed Iowa last year, and Hundermark, Neilson, Sash, Sandeman, and probably Bernstine are all going there. The wins in previous years and last year didn't make a difference.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 342
    Given: 243

Quote Originally Posted by Rage On View Post

We'd still sell tickets, not as many, for that one game every other year, but it could be made up.

Our schedule would not need to be as difficult or we could schedule a team that could help more with recruiting.

How is it good for the fans? Every time that we have punked EIU, their fans refuse to give ISU any credit. When EIU wins, they think its just typical. You will never win an argument with an EIU fan because they are not logical.

Now we want the easy way out by not playing Iowa? Folks, you don't get any national recognition by beating the Troy State's of the word or even above average Big East schools. I hate this thought process that we should play someone else other than Iowa because Iowa is a good team. To be the best you need to beat the best.

On recruiting again...

By being competative and beating Iowa - we've given in-state kids another viable option. Before, not even "you'll play right away in Ames" would work. Now, we can match-up with Iowa in recruiting. Today, in-state is not their #1 priority, I am aware of that.

However, I do think we would have lost some of the in-state kids we have right now had we not defeated Iowa for a few years. Iowa may not have gone after them hard, but they still did recruit them. Take away that in-state game that showed ISU is on the rise - some of them surely go to Iowa.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Hate to say it, but this is one of the dumbest ideas I think I've ever heard.
    1. Its fun, and the biggest athletic event in the state.
    2. We're selling more tickets this year because Pollard is marketing well and finding ways to pack in more people.
    3. It's good for the revenue of both schools.
    4. The kids will go to the school they grew up rooting for, thus any success we have over them won't be realized until well into the future when those kids grow up.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Let's face it we don't get national recognition for losing to Iowa either, and we've done that 3 of the last four years, and look to do so again next year. A win is always better than a loss as well.

But the fact that we might lose to them has nothing to do with my argument. Losing or winning in Florida might be better than losing or winning in Iowa.

Starter
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 29
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

We're doing fantastic with in-state recruits that the Hawks aren't recruiting very hard. We got Arnaud, and Scales..., other than that show me the players the Hawks were recruiting hard. Look at this year. We clubbed Iowa last year, and Hundermark, Neilson, Sash, Sandeman, and probably Bernstine are all going there. The wins in previous years and last year didn't make a difference.
    That is an exellent point nobody really looks at or understands. ISU might win the "in state" recruiting battle 3 out of every 4 years but most the time the top player to come out of the state is a 3 star so Iowa doesn't bother with them. Why recruit a 3 star recruit when you can go to another and get a 4 or 5 star? This year the state of Iowa has more talent than usual and the University of Iowa has cleaned house and they are taking who ever they want. They are going to end up getting the 5 best out of the state. Can you blame them for going there? They know what will happen; get the chance to play in a couple BCS bowls, compete for the big 10 title every year, play in front of pro scouts every single weekend, only lose a couple times a year, etc.....Until ISU establishes somewhat of a tradition of winning like Iowa, ISU won't win these battles. I say keep playing the hawks and one of these days it'll all turn around and maybe the Cyclones will be making the January bowls. It all starts with recruiting. ISU needs to stop getting 2 and 3 star recruits and go land some big fish that will make an impact!

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 431
    Given: 186

Quote Originally Posted by Rage On View Post

I completely disagree.

First...about recruiting. We want to get the best talent available in Iowa and not the leftovers. This game says that ISU and Iowa are on a similar level. (Unlike the 80s and 90s)

Second...you are right about ticket sales. However what people forget is that tickets to the Iowa game are DOUBLE than what normal games are. We get twice the revenue than if we played UCF...essentially an extra home game.

Third...we don't want to be Okie State/KSU/Texas Tech (they are all getting better though) and schedule Div. 1AA team after IAA team). That looks bad.

Fourth...I look at it completely the opposite and say there is all the upside in the world. Even though we have won our fair share of the games since 1998, we are always looked at as the underdog...and sometimes as a huge underdog. If we lose, nationally people say "well they were supposed to lose". When we win...nationally people say "Wow, ISU beat Iowa...they must be good this year." It's a win/win IMO.

And fifth...the entire state loves the Rivalry. Just think back to how much press this year's game received!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 38

This is an interesting thought.....and probably a useless argument. But I like your thinking Bryce. And your point about recruiting is accurate....if a really good recruit happens to be in the state of Iowa it hasn't mattered what we have done against Iowa.

Since we can safely assume this series isn't going away anytime soon, I think replacing a team like Toledo with a TCU/California or Florida team might be logical.

Walk On
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 20

I believe the Iowa-ISU will always get regional TV coverage, it's a rivalry where anything could happen and it's a rare Big 12 Big 10 matchup. We would be hard pressed to get a home and away series with Florida or another "big name" school and it likely would not be on TV, thus not helping recruit anywhere.

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 340
    Given: 206

I like the rivalry but I think it gets blown out of proportion every year. It's still a non-conference game that only counts as one win or loss, nothing more. Regardless of how high Iowa is ranked, it's still just one more game leading up to the conference season where it really matters.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

All-Star
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I say keep the Iowa-ISU game, and not play ISU-UNI. Play NIU instead.

Starter
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 173
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Clono, any reason you prefer NIU of where you just throwing out another school? I watched them on ESPN the other night. Their running back is a stud. He has over 200 AVG. per game this year. They have a back on the chargers now, "the burner" Turner.