Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

What is our next level? My Breakdown

I don't expect us to be Texas or OU. My vision of the next level is to compete with Missouri, KU and the rest of the guys on our level. It is also to make a great run every 3 or so years. Make it to the next level up. Maybe a BCS bowl every 5-6 years. I don't think we can expect a major bowl game every year at ISU. The problem right now is the we can only make Shreveport level and I want to at least make it to the Holiday Bowl level very soon.

Also on the Big 12 I think we should be able to win the Big 12 North every 4 or so years and then compete with Texas and OU in the Big 12 championship game that year. Not just make it there an get blown out. What is your next level when you use that term?

Clones Rule

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: What is our next level? My Breakdown

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonedrew View Post
    I don't expect us to be Texas or OU. My vision of the next level is to compete with Missouri, KU and the rest of the guys on our level. It is also to make a great run every 3 or so years. Make it to the next level up. Maybe a BCS bowl every 5-6 years. I don't think we can expect a major bowl game every year at ISU. The problem right now is the we can only make Shreveport level and I want to at least make it to the Holiday Bowl level very soon.

Also on the Big 12 I think we should be able to win the Big 12 North every 4 or so years and then compete with Texas and OU in the Big 12 championship game that year. Not just make it there an get blown out. What is your next level when you use that term?
    I totally agree with everything in your post. This is my expectation level as well. I am not asking to be Texas or OU either. Wisconsin might be a better example of what ISU should aspire to be.

URBCLONE

Facebook Knows All
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 74

I agree with most of what you want. I think the "BCS game every 5-6 years" would be a stretch. Just being realistic...I don't see us winning a Big 12 Championship every 5-6 years. Again, I WANT that as a fan but I'm just trying to be realistic here. BCS games are reserved for the top 2 or 3 at large teams in the nation (not counting teams who won their conference championship).

Does anyone ever listen to Colin Cowherd on ESPN radio? He does this thing where you call in and tell him our team and he says (from an objective national point of view) how many wins you can expect per season on average. I have never heard Iowa State mentioned on the air but I would guess that he would say 6-7.

Putting the homerism aside...does that seem reasonable to you?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 95.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 257

Colin would put us in that category.
    His theory is that expectations by fans on a lower tier team actually can be higher than for a higher tier team. Winning the non conference season reinforces the expectations and then halfway through the conference reality sets in. At this point, do we expect to win the three remaining home games? Or do we expect to do better? I still expect a possibility for four-five wins if we do not have injuries and we do not fall apart in the head game. Four wins could keep us from Shreveport; five would seal the deal.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'd love to see ISU get to a point where they could win half their games against ranked opponents and 90% of their games against unranked teams. This would translate into 8 wins a year on average and a decent bowl game. I thought we were there at one point under McCarney, but then we took a step back. I kept thinking we could get there under his leadership, but I'm starting to wonder. I wouldn't be disappointed with a 3 - 3 record right now if we had blown out the three cupcakes and been more competitive against the ranked opponents.

"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

Recruit
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Compete w/ the likes of KU and Mizzou? The past two years when we were beaten by them, they were seen as the inferior teams and as "easy" wins for us to a lot of nationwide viewers. I agree that they have gotten better this year, but KU went to its first bowl game last year in how many years? And Mizzou is this good w/out Mr. Smith? I think the Wisky comment is spot on; I don't think we can play that style of ball, but if somebody can get kids from the deep south, Cali and Texas to come to an even colder environment than Ames, why can't we? That's a different thread entirely but just my two cents...

Walk On Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I would like to see a bit of a winning tradition built up. I don't know if I am alone here, but even when ISU is winning, I am so freaking apprehensive because I know the implosion is coming.

I look around the Big 12 north and I think there are quite a few teams on the upswing. I think the cyclones are going to need to get significantly better to maintain status quo.

The Portland, Oregon cyclone fan
    Class of 91

If life isn't fun, your doing it wrong.

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Why is everyone afraid to expect a BCS game now and then? Friggin Utah and Bosie State expect it-hell, Iowa expects it. Why sell ourselves short? Iowa, Wisconsin, Boise and others have no problem getting star players to their climate, why are we different?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 95.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 257

Are we as good recruiters as Kirk Frerentz, Ron Prince, John Blake, Dan Hawkins?
    Do we need to go to football coach charm school to recruit more of the better athletes? Maybe not. Maybe so. Dan is a very positive guy, but do we have a John Blake type recruiter on our staff? Do we need one? How about a black recruiter added to our staff? It was interesting on how WM did for Clone recruiting - some people back East considered our school that probably would not have in the past.

Dan McC is widely noted for making 2 star players into better by making them tough nosed and good work ethic.

Or would you rather be Bill Callahan recruitig team and bring Cody Glen, Kenny Wilson, or Brandon Jackson on the field. The one area Nebraska cannot recruit so far is safeties. If you are big star safety, you may want to go to another school.

Nebraska plays against KState next week. Nebraska pulled out all stops to recruit the starting KSU qb, Josh Freeman.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It hit me while watching a Pac 10 matchup this weekend. The team that's currently at the level where I'd like to see ISU is the Oregon Ducks. During the 80's and early 90's they were where ISU is today, a perennial 0.500 team give or take a game. Since 1994 these are their records:

9-4
    9-3
    6-5
    7-5
    8-4
    9-3
    10-2
    11-1
    7-6
    8-5
    5-6
    10-2
    5-1 (so far this year)

104-40

Only one losing record in 13 years and that was followed by a 10-2 season. I believe there were two BCS bowls mixed in there (a Rose Bowl and a Fiesta Bowl), but I'm too lazy to look it up. I'd be content with a 0.700 winning percentage in the long run, with a BCS bowl once or twice every 10 years. And I don't see why this is unrealistic.

"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Yea we should aspire to be consistently going to bowls like the Alamo, Holiday, Gator, bowls like that, and not independence, or houston, hell even the insight would be decent again, we should have been able to go 7-5 or 8-4 with the team that we have, and I don't see how the hell we are even going to go 4-8, let alone 8-4, this is the most out of sync team since 2003, the last 2 years have been pretty good, functioning teams until that last game of the season where we blew it, but this team is just in total disarray offensively. It looks very similar to 2003, and I think Meyer is finally understanding what Austin Flynn went through that year. If the line doesn't block, you can't do too much. It isn't the receivers missing catches as much as it was in 2003, which is a good thing. I would be shocked to see McCarney return with the way we are playing right now, only if we can pull off a 6-6 will he return, but Barney Cotton is long gone!!! We are missing out on big O-line recruits, or losing them(like Fiacco.) The cupboard seems to be pretty damn empty right now aside from maybe Stephens and Hulbert, possibly. It just doesn't look promising. We seem to have potential everywhere but the offensive line. We need to stop hiring these guys without big time O-Line credentials, yea Barney Cotton coached at Nebraska(For One Year) Where was he prior to that? New Mexico State, pretty sure blocking in the Sun Belt is a little different than blocking in the Big 12. Marty Fine was at Indiana, where there entire offense was a fast *** player running around without any blocking, just because he was an incredible player. Steve Loney was about the only guy we ever had who could coach the O-Line, he produced the only other good part of the teams that had Troy Davis on them and than he came back and had pretty solid offensive lines in his second stint. Dan needs to hire someone more like him and quit hiring guys with sucky *** credentials!

Big Shawn, Super Clone!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We need to be competing for the North championship on a regular basis and win it on occassion. We should beat the teams we are supposed to beat and at least on occassion beat someone we shouldn't.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,058
    Given: 558

I expect ISU to be able to go to some kind of bowl about four out of every six years or so, with one of those being something other than a bottom tier bowl. I think that is reasonable. Here are what I think are the key things are that determine what happens to the teams at a level like this:

1. Bad breaks...injuries or dismissals
    2. How the schedule sets up year to year, catching other programs on an up or down year.
    3. Recruiting......they are after players from the second tier of the talent pool....some great players with question marks, or solid players that aren't quite great, or haven't developed yet.

If a couple of these things go wrong, it's going to be a miracle if they can tough it out that year and go to a bowl. If a couple go right, we could see a nice bowl, like last year or the Insight.com bowl. I think the stars have to line up just right to see a Holiday bowl, and every thing has to be perfect to see a BCS bowl. That's how I see it now, but who knows, if they could have one special breakthrough year, that could change.

Last edited by Cyclonepride; 10-15-2006 at 10:22 PM. Reason: spelling

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Talked to a family member on Saturday evening about the game because he was on the combine all day and he brought up some good points regarding the brutal schedule..God, in a 5 week period they played Texas in Austin, Nebraska, Oklahoma in Norman and Iowa in IC...I am upset like everybody else esp. how they barely got by UNI, UNLV And Toledo...I will decide at the end of the season on what I think should happen to coaches, Man, I know they are trying and the players are busting their butts, but Cyclone Fans have got to be the biggest supporters that I know of...My brother also said ''Look how bad the Big 10 is compared the Big 12... Illinois, Purdue, Mich.State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Indiana (although getting better as of late) to name a few teams..but will give credit to Michigan & Ohio State because they are the real deal....Hopefully, they can get some confidence, win some ball games and things will lighten for Mac.& Co..I know I hope so...HITMAN

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Wow, I can't believe some of this thread. How in the hell are we ever going to go to another level w/o some expectations???
    I am starting to see why we are "little brother" to Hawk fans. If you don't dream it first then you will never see it.
    Here is my opinion on what I percieve to be a realistic goal for the program (of course a lot of this depends on the caliber of coaching staff that we have in place)
    TEN YEAR PLAN
    Years 1-3 building the foundation: Establish recruiting identity, character, physical requirements, even though you won't be able to recruit "5 star players,", you establish what your program is going to look like in the future. Additionally, you stake out where you are getting the players from, obviously in-state is important, but you need to establish relationships in other parts of the country. This is also the time when the coach "sells" himself to the fan base in order to develop confidence that when all is said and done, he can lead the program. Wins and losses don't matter so much during this phase, because you are building for the future.

Years 4-5: Bowl games like Shreveport are realistic at this time, because you have laid a solid foundation of recruiting and teaching. During this time, it becomes important to win a game that the experts would consider to be a major upset. This will aid recruiting, allowing you to attract higher caliber players from established areas and create new ones from which to recruit. Important wins during this time will excite your core fanbase and attract more casual fans, which increases donation/revenue possibilities.

Years 6-8: This is the period where you take the next step. It is during this time that you win important games at home against rivals and other confrence foes. Win expectation should be anywhere from eight to ten which allows you to go to more high profile goals which in turn allows you to increase revenue, and allows you to continue to improve recruiting because now you have something to take in to kids homes' and make ISU more than just an afterthought. It is during this time that you begin to reap the financial rewards, from the optimistic and enthusiastic fanbase. This is where the facility upgrades, recruiting budget, and HC and AC salaries become comiserate with those of top programs.

Year 10: This is the breakthrough year. Two full recruiting classes have gone through the program, and there is depth and experience at all positions. Both sides of the ball reflect the attitude of the HC that he demonstrated from day one. It is time to look at winning confrence championships or at least BCS Bowl Bids.

This has been done before people. Many of the programs that we supposedly cannot compete with (if you listen to some of the people who are posting in this thread) began this way. It took a coach with a vision, and the fortitude to stay the course and not change on a whim because he didn't have a long term solution.

It's been done before people in places with lower budgets and worse facilities than at ISU, SO WHY CAN'T IT HAPPEN HERE?!?!?!?

Jeffrey A Crawford