Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

memo to the fans

to 90% of the fans that were in attendance on saturday: WHAT WAS THAT?
    we as the cyclone fans should be ashamed for the lack of noise created before and during the game. why is it that the only people that seemed to b getting loud and vocal before the game were fusker fans? i know its gonna be hard to get excited about the tech game if we cant pull out a BIG W in Norman, but we help create the atmosphere and the team really needs all the advantages it can get.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 324
    Given: 264

Re: memo to the fans

The bball crowd was at Hilton is louder.
    Since we had not played one really good complete game all year, the fans weren taken out of the game brefore halftime. The 11000 Red fans helped. Everytime the cheer squad tried to get some cheering going, they were trying to disrupt the 43,000 others. Since they were in the four corners, they were devilish sneaky in their attempts.

Maybe the fans were saving themselves for the last touchdown catch. Unfortunately, most of major action occurred close to the Nebraska fans.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

I have to agree. I think the end of half touchdown completely deflated a lot of people. I was in the upper deck student section and 2/3 of the people didn't even stand up when the team came back out after the half. It was the most subdued I think I've ever seen the crowd.

Prospect
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: memo to the fans - Not my fault!

Sorry, but I accept no responsibility for the Cyclone performances this year. I cheered like hello at all of the home games. I don't think I am responsible for the three final second victories, nor am I responsible for the lousy play we sometimes exhibit.

Quit blaming fans. We can't win the games. We may be able to help ever so slightly at times, but the games are controlled by the players on the field and the men (notice I did not say coaches) on the sidelines.

POOTMFS
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,799
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    The bball crowd was at Hilton is louder.
    Since we had not played one really good complete game all year, the fans weren taken out of the game brefore halftime. The 11000 Red fans helped. Everytime the cheer squad tried to get some cheering going, they were trying to disrupt the 43,000 others. Since they were in the four corners, they were devilish sneaky in their attempts.

Maybe the fans were saving themselves for the last touchdown catch. Unfortunately, most of major action occurred close to the Nebraska fans.
    Bruns, is that you?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 55

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdave View Post
    Bruns, is that you?
    If it was Bruns, he WOULD have blamed it on us fans. Recall the Baylor post-game from last year....

And to respond to the point of the original post, its pretty tough to get up for your team when its obvious you're outmatched and that the offense doesn't want the win as badly as we as fans do. Walking up to the line of scrimmage, walking onto the field, slow breaks of the huddle, etc. etc.

And yes, the TD by NU at the end of the first half was a first class crowd deflater. If we could have at least held them to a field goal, I think the crowd would have still been in it, but instead we were down 14. Big hole for any team to climb out of.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I have to agree. I think the end of half touchdown completely deflated a lot of people. I was in the upper deck student section and 2/3 of the people didn't even stand up when the team came back out after the half. It was the most subdued I think I've ever seen the crowd.
    Yeah, it took the wind out of many fans sails.

After that, it was a lot of incoherent yelling - at the players and coaching staff. Plus, far too many boos...

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

First off ISU fans are the last that should be blamed. With ISU's history and current trend of under achieveing and mediacroty we still put 55,000+ in the seats. You tell me what other school would do that or have that type of support. I'm sorry but I am not going to listen to this "Whats wrong with the FANS crap anymore." JP stated that the fans don't appreciate the current coaching staff enough....I'm sorry Bubba, but with a statment like that you clearly do not appreciate the fan support this program gets...especially when the fans don't really get anything in return. Give us something to cheer about! The fans are not the problem..saying that is like blameing the pencil for bad penmanship. The fans have been great to this program and are the best fans in college football. Its easy being a Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, OU fan....they win...their fans don't get let down at every opprtunity....Mac next time call the time out if a play does not get reviewed. Don't tell me you thought it got looked at...you make 1.2 million to make sure those details get taken care of....

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Quote Originally Posted by RedStorm View Post
    First off ISU fans are the last that should be blamed. With ISU's history and current trend of under achieveing and mediacroty we still put 55,000+ in the seats. You tell me what other school would do that or have that type of support. I'm sorry but I am not going to listen to this "Whats wrong with the FANS crap anymore." JP stated that the fans don't appreciate the current coaching staff enough....I'm sorry Bubba, but with a statment like that you clearly do not appreciate the fan support this program gets...especially when the fans don't really get anything in return. Give us something to cheer about! The fans are not the problem..saying that is like blameing the pencil for bad penmanship. The fans have been great to this program and are the best fans in college football. Its easy being a Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, OU fan....they win...their fans don't get let down at every opprtunity....Mac next time call the time out if a play does not get reviewed. Don't tell me you thought it got looked at...you make 1.2 million to make sure those details get taken care of....
    You are not all that correct and clearly have not been to many games outside of Ames if you claim our fans to be the best in college football.

I went to a few Iowa games when they were getting their teeth kicked in at the end of Fry's era and the beginning of Kirk's.

Those fans still showed up and made a helluva lot of noise...winning or losing. Sure, the place wasn't packed but it was far, far from empty.

Sorry to use our evil neighbor to the east as an example....but...when you're wrong...you're wrong.

A solid program is created and maintained by everyone from the AD all the way down to the fans that only show up when we win. Sometimes when the players are down and are just not doing well, the fans can lift them back up and help carry them to victory. Go ahead and doubt me...yet I've seen it happen.

But, not in Ames...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85

I take it a lot of you guys haven't been to other schools. Our fan support is not great. Hands down.

Arkansas packs it every week and they haven't been great for a long time. A&M packs it and they have been underperforming for 3 or 4 years. It happens. As ISUfan said, Iowa packed it in no matter what. (in football anyway.)

Addict
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,434
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29

Blaming the fans is completely stupid. What if the fans were there to see a Concert and the act came out and was terrible. After the show, the act says "well, the fans just didn't get into it so thats why we sucked tonight".

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

"You are not all that correct and clearly have not been to many games outside of Ames if you claim our fans to be the best in college football.

I went to a few Iowa games when they were getting their teeth kicked in at the end of Fry's era and the beginning of Kirk's.

Those fans still showed up and made a helluva lot of noise...winning or losing. Sure, the place wasn't packed but it was far, far from empty.

Sorry to use our evil neighbor to the east as an example....but...when you're wrong...you're wrong.

A solid program is created and maintained by everyone from the AD all the way down to the fans that only show up when we win. Sometimes when the players are down and are just not doing well, the fans can lift them back up and help carry them to victory. Go ahead and doubt me...yet I've seen it happen.

But, not in Ames...

------------------------------

I take it a lot of you guys haven't been to other schools. Our fan support is not great. Hands down.

Arkansas packs it every week and they haven't been great for a long time. A&M packs it and they have been underperforming for 3 or 4 years. It happens. As ISUfan said, Iowa packed it in no matter what. (in football anyway.)

"Some people on this board think that when ISU loses their junk will fall off and the only way to get it put back on is to fire the head coach." -heshwar "

You are leaving out the fact that those schools have had success. Iowa fans have got to enjoy a lot of success under Hayden Fry...Arkansas under Holts and some Decent seasones under Houston Nutt and I believe Arkansas just got themselves a big win last Saturday. Texas A and M has had huge success in the past and will agian...along with Colorado and K-State...those programs are rebuilding. ISU has never had the success of any of those programs but fans still come. You guys, or anyone else, are way off base for being critical of the fans in any way...shape, or form. You guys are not correct when trying to compare us to those programs....maybe you should compare us to Mizzou, KU, Baylor, Minnesota, Okie State, Indiana, Illinios...etc.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85

Ok, Mizzou then. They averaged 7,000 more per game last year than we did and it was terribly disappointing for them. How's that?

ANd I thought we considered ourselves better than Baylor fans, Indiana fans, Illinois fans. If that's the level we're striving to be better than, I consider my point well noted. KU, K-State, and Okie state were close to us in attendance however.

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Give me something to cheer for and I will cheer. Blaming the fans is completely rediculous. Maybe the water boy is not getting the team water. Let's blame him. Oh I know it's the trainers. Maybe the team should get blamed. They are the ones under performing. Not us as fans.

Clones Rule

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    Ok, Mizzou then. They averaged 7,000 more per game last year than we did and it was terribly disappointing for them. How's that?

ANd I thought we considered ourselves better than Baylor fans, Indiana fans, Illinois fans. If that's the level we're striving to be better than, I consider my point well noted. KU, K-State, and Okie state were close to us in attendance however.
    I think his point was that ISU fans are better than fans from those other schools. At any college there is going to be more interest as the teams are more successful, but ISU fans are more loyal than most. I guarantee if Texas football went 20 years as a .500 team you wouldn't see the same kind of support you do today. I remember sitting in a virtually full stadium in freezing rain watching ISU get their butts kicked. The crowd may not seem as loud, but I believe this is due to the distance the fans are from the field. There were times when I could feel the balcony shake due to the fans. Living in a major city where Arizona State gets fewer fans attending men's basketball than ISU does attending women's basketball games, I'm proud to be among the fans of ISU sports.

Last edited by CloneFan65; 10-10-2006 at 01:04 PM. Reason: typo
    "THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"