Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 0

Freshman funks - we've all had 'em, how

'bout some stories?

As a freshmen in 1982, my first semester was average at best. No real problems although I went home alot (WDM). My second semester is where everything went to hell. Lots of drinking, lots of drugs, and lots of eating. I gained about 20 pounds. Also, I remember going to class when it was winter, then the next time I remember even LEAVING the dorm (K-beck in Larch) there were buds on the trees. I missed about 6 weeks of class straight. I went into my Calc final and introduced myself to the TA. Not surprisingly I was the first done with my test. TA asked how I did, and I said about how you would expect someone to do having not been to class in nearly 2 months.

I ended up with 4 Fs and a D. I lucked out and dropped another class that would have been an F so I DID manage to salvage my GPA. .33 is what I remember the report card reading.

I lasted 1 more semester before being asked to leave. I DID leave for a stint in the Air Force but came back and was all As and Bs from there on out.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 248

Re: Freshman funks - we've all had 'em, how

Quote Originally Posted by SpokaneCY View Post
    'bout some stories?

As a freshmen in 1982, my first semester was average at best. No real problems although I went home alot (WDM). My second semester is where everything went to hell. Lots of drinking, lots of drugs, and lots of eating. I gained about 20 pounds. Also, I remember going to class when it was winter, then the next time I remember even LEAVING the dorm (K-beck in Larch) there were buds on the trees. I missed about 6 weeks of class straight. I went into my Calc final and introduced myself to the TA. Not surprisingly I was the first done with my test. TA asked how I did, and I said about how you would expect someone to do having not been to class in nearly 2 months.

I ended up with 4 Fs and a D. I lucked out and dropped another class that would have been an F so I DID manage to salvage my GPA. .33 is what I remember the report card reading.

I lasted 1 more semester before being asked to leave. I DID leave for a stint in the Air Force but came back and was all As and Bs from there on out.
    I took like 3 spring breaks my sr year.

All-Star
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 837
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by SpokaneCY View Post
    'bout some stories?

Wow, I thought my 2.76 GPA freshman year was bad....

My problem was that I am pretty smart so in High School I never had to try. No studying, never spent more than 1/2 an hour on home work and still got a 3.4. When I got to college, I was a Mechanical Engineer, but I didn't adjust to the amount of studying I needed to do until sophmore year. I started with a 2.76 first semester and got a better GPA every semester until I graduated. My last 3 semesters I was on dean's list, and my core (engineering) GPA was actually HIGHER than my regular GPA (in other words, my "easy" classes weighed me down). That is not usually the case.

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

My sophomore and junior years were my worst. I skipped class so often, some classes I only went to on test days. I somehow managed to get about a B average, I don't know if that says alot about me or very little about my major program. There would be weeks when I would only go to maybe 3 classes. I blame a lot of it on my addiction to WoW, it consumed more than a little of my time. I stepped it up senior year and ended up with a decent GPA, man I miss those days...

It's Bushbama!

2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

I also missed a lot of class my 1st and 2nd freshman years

I remember one morning waking up about 9AM and my roommate bugging me to go to class because "you haven't gone all week" ... so I take an "instant shower" (deoderant, hat splash of colonge and a sweatshirt) and wander to Poli Sci 215 (with Dr Politics I would learn he was named later)... I get there 20 mins late and get handed an exam, it sucked.

I was on acedemic probation for 2 of my first 3 semesters and only became a sophomore after 3 semesters and a summer... finished 5 years later taking 3 straight semesters of 18 engineering credits and graduated with a 2.97 which I always round up.

I have about 18 months of my life that went like this: wake up, eat lunch, play nintendo, eat supper, go play basketball at State or the Rec, and go to a house party, then repeat.

it was a good while it lasted, but it was kindof expensive paying tuition ... oh and the whole "trying not to get kicked out" thing.

Addict
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 562
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

My problem was that I am pretty smart so in High School I never had to try. No studying, never spent more than 1/2 an hour on home work and still got a 3.4.
    I was the same way, I think my excitement for actually being in college got me through freshman year. By the next year that had passed.

I think over my 4 years I had 4 8:00am classes, I think I only attended a handful of them and didn't get higher than a C+ in any. I think my wake up call was when I almost got a D+ in Music 102...who the hell almost fails music 102???? Attendance kicked my ***.

It's Bushbama!

2 time Chupacabra of Humor Award Recipient

Quote Originally Posted by joefrog
    I will admit, I am to blame in sometimes making mountains out of molehills.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 19

Didn't study much in HS...got all A's

Didn't study much in College...Got all B's.

My experience was if you put forth the same effort in College as you did in HS you'd drop about a grade.

That was more than ok with me. Took my 3.1 BS ME and ran.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 369
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I would have to say that classes that i attented my fresh. and soph. year were few and far between - ahhhh the good 'ole days

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 840
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 11

Freshman year wasn't too bad, 3.0. My down year was junior year, I think it correlates with being able to go to the bar. Two senior years made up for it though.

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.

All-Star
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 837
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by cmoneyr View Post
    . I think my wake up call was when I almost got a D+ in Music 102...who the hell almost fails music 102???? Attendance kicked my ***.
    Dude, that class is no joke. I did get an A in it, but I had to work my arse off to get it! I never missed a class, studied about 8 hours for each test and still did the extra credit and I barely got an A (you needed a 92% and I had a 91.55 and he rounded it up for me!)

I was told it was an easy class, but they change the structure of the class so that you had to take tests in the computer lab and stuff like that. It made it pretty hard. It was one of those classes where I found it easy to get a C but difficult to get an A (or an F for that matter!)

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

oh yeah, remembered something else... at one point 2nd smester freshman year maybe? the dorm floor got together to announce the we only had 7 midterms (d-slip type things) on the entire floor. They meant it as a congratulations ... but me and my roommate had 6 between us whoops.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 27

I had a rough time in my second year. My freshman year I did really well, went to class, studied a ton, did really well. My second year it all went to hell, stopped going to class, found my love of beer, it was just not good. I remember going to a comp sci class for the second time and getting handed a test, which was all greek to me. I pretty much slacked off for 2 years until I decided I was sick of college, sick of being broke all the time and I wanted to get a job. Studied really hard for a year and a half and cranked through the rest of school.

Graduating and leaving ISU was one of the happiest days of my life.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 613
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I've always been a fan of this quote:

Don't let your education get in the way of your education.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 913
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

My freshman year I took German 201 and 202. (Got credit for German 101 and 102). The classes met M-F at 7:00 a.m. !?!?!?

I barely speak English at 7:00 in the morning let alone German.

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 31

My freshman year was probably the second most productive I had besides my senior year, both in class and sports... I think the main thing had to do with good coaching and hoping to get drafted that first year. I showed up at 6'5" 190 and the coaches wanted me 225 before the first game. I was working out twice a day in addition to practices and consuming an unreal amount of calories. Just squeeked to 225. I was also doing pretty well in class. I started as a Biology major and took some of the tougher classes right away, wanting to get them out of the way in the smaller JC classes. My soph and junior years I focused way to much on the social aspect of school...

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/MarkHanrahan20

Check out my blog
    http://markhanrahan.com

and tune into "Extra Innings" Thursdays at 6pm on 1460kxno