Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

To Cotton Haters-What's the Answer?

There's been some talk about how poorly Cotton is doing at calling plays this year, and I'm really on the fence as to whether I'm blaming Cotton or the lack of talent in various non-skill positions on our offense. So, I wanted to start this thread to read what fellow ISU football fanatics think Cotton could draw up to improve our offensive output.

Here are a couple non-encompassing obvious issues:

1. No consistent running game.
    2. Can't stop the blitz up the middle.

One possible solution is to throw in some dink and dunk pass plays. It seems like we never throw the ball less than 10 yards out. Like when Seneca was still here, I feel more confident with 3rd and 8 than I do with 3rd and 2.

Facebook Knows All
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 419
    Given: 181

Re: To Cotton Haters-What's the Answer?

Quote Originally Posted by jgooder View Post
    There's been some talk about how poorly Cotton is doing at calling plays this year, and I'm really on the fence as to whether I'm blaming Cotton or the lack of talent in various non-skill positions on our offense. So, I wanted to start this thread to read what fellow ISU football fanatics think Cotton could draw up to improve our offensive output.

One possible solution is to throw in some dink and dunk pass plays. It seems like we never throw the ball less than 10 yards out. Like when Seneca was still here, I feel more confident with 3rd and 8 than I do with 3rd and 2.
    No consistant running game because we are behind in the 2nd half and must throw the ball. Stevie ran very well against Iowa and Texas...and that was against 2 very good run defenses.

Why are we having these problems this year and we didn't (as much) last year? You would think our guys would IMPROVE but we have regressed...that is player development to me and that falls on the coaches.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I don't disagree. But just working with the players we have in the current situation, is there anything creative, play-calling-wise, Cotton could possibly come up with to make us a two-dimensional offense?

What about something not-as-crazy-as-it-sounds like moving Flynn to TB on some plays? I could envision a swing pass to Flynn being a feasible play.

Also, I know our OL is slow, but there HAS to be a way to draw up a workable screen play. They need to figure out a way to slow down the blitz. Meyer didn't seem to have check down in the event of an all out blitz. Or maybe they could let Meyer audible into a screen when the defense is showing blitz.

My suggestions may be a little far-fetched, but I'll be disappointed if Cotton doesn't try something new this weekend.

Last edited by jgooder; 10-09-2006 at 05:12 PM. Reason: typo

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I would love to see some more audibles at the line for Meyer. He rarely does it. I don't know if that's coaching or Meyer's capability to read the defense.

Walk On
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 347
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I believe Cotton is technically sound and can be a good coach if he makes some easy changes to the offense:

1. Tempo - we need to up-tempo the offense in-between plays - this gives the players a sense of urgency and makes everyone play sharper and crisper. We need more than 60 offensive plays a game to win in the Big XII.

2. Motion - I hate to sound like a broken record, but can we have some motion or formation shifts in our offense other than the RB going out to a WR position.

3. Misdirection - either using motion or play calls, create misdirection in the offense to keep the Defense and their blitzing off-balance. I thought Toledo, UNLV and UNI all did a much better job than we do at scheming plays.

4. Be aggressive, not desperate - we played desperate against Nebraska with the number of 4th downs we went for, when, had we been aggressive at the end of the 1st half and not settled for a QB draw on 2nd and long (which resulted in 3rd and long, a punt and a short field for Nebraska) we may have kept Nebraska from scoring and at 14-7, its a whole different ballgame. (You can say the same thing in the Iowa game)

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I just copied and pasted my response from the thread asking what play we wanted to see in the Nebraska game.

I would like to see us isolate Blythe with two recievers to the other side. This would make the it a fairly easy read to decide if there is double coverage to Blythe's side, and if not, chuck him the ball. If there is double coverage he has eaten up two defenders by himself, meaning that there is either single coverage of the other two recievers or only 7 guys in the box. If there is single coverage throw to that side and utilize some WR screens to Flynn (maybe even get creative and have Flynn throw the ball somewhere?) If there are only seven in the box we need to be able to run the ball for a respectable average.

It strikes me as a bit of a waste of a huge recieving threat in Blythe when he is on the same side as other recievers because it allows the defense to drop one fewer guy into coverage and still always have deep help on Blythe.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 614
    Given: 389

Quote Originally Posted by jgooder View Post

Bret had a couple of passes blocked because he looked straight outside to the receiver and the defensive people followed his eyes. Is he capable of looking one way and then turning to throw the dink pass? Has he done that in his career. Thast is what those little non athletic wehite qbs do to make up for their lack of talent in the deep south. Bret is so smooth ansd athletic and yet we cannot block for the poor guy half the time. We would be better off to putrunning backs in as linemen and then do the moving pocket. When Bret rolls out, the o line is long gone and stuck in the middle blocking themselves. The mobility of the oline members reminds me of the bball can't jump biggies.
    Looks Good, Tastes Great, Can't Move Feet.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 614
    Given: 389

Let Barney call only every third series and the qb coach to the other two. That would really screw up the opposition. They would not know what to expect. Right now the qb has the first two quarters and Barney calls the plays for the second half except for ther UNI game.

Actually, what has me baffled from start of the season is I bought into we could rush for a 120 yards a game this year and not be #129 in the nation. Wrong. I forgot that you had to have the ball and make first downs consistently to get your 120 yards average.

The mandatory good news in each post? The sacks are down. Penalities are still under control. Our turnovers are not bad. We are playing .500 barn ball, baby. Take a TO and a bye week if we could to get repositioned in the playcalling department. And we need to come up with a new fake fieldgoal play yesterday. Call 1-800-PLAYCALL for help.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.