Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 34

Let's all relax

This goes for everyone. Now is not the time to fire McDermott. Wait until after next year to see where we stand

For everyone that thinks it was a great win yesterday, wrong. The win was very ugly and it was played by two of the lower division teams in the Big 12, which explains the ugliness.

Comparing wins between coaches can lead you down a wrong path. LE at Southern Miss last year started out with an awesome record (I think?!?!?) and everyone said that he is such a great coach. Come to find out he had beat two division 2 teams and their RPI was in the high 200's at that point.

Someone compared Morgan's wins his last season to McDermott's wins this year. Morgan upgraded ISU's schedule a lot. Many of the 'weak' teams ISU was playing early on in the season were their conference champs the year before, in the NCAA's the year before or were from power conferences.

Let's just all relax and see where we go from here. I personally do not like all the excuses I hear in every interview from McDermott and the fact that McDermott is 0'fer against ranked teams. I said when he was hired he was too much like McCarney. I will wait until after next season to start saying ISU needs a new coach though. He is a Cyclone right now and I will cheer for ISU to win every game the rest of this season. Please everyone neg rep me now.

Last edited by twojman; 02-17-2008 at 09:50 AM.

Giving it a go
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 3

Re: Let's all relax

No one should neg rep for an opininon explained.

I may not agree with you, but you took the time to spell out your thoughts.

My take is to look at why we are in this position. Mac took over the job with only 4 returning players. A short recruiting time table left him getting a great player in Wes under the radar, but the other didn't pan out as well. Second class brings in Garrett, Brackins and Lucca. Two young and one unable to play. We played Knebraska with four walk ons giving significant minutes. Haluska, Petersen, Thompson, and Lee.

I don't like the line of give more time, but IMO we need to get players that have some time in the system and have some experience in the conference.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 28

4yrs before I form my final opinion on McD.

He will get longer than that though since he is a JP hire. He will see the end of his contract I would bet and I'm optimistic by then this whole discussion will be a non issue.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,092
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post

He will get longer than that though since he is a JP hire. He will see the end of his contract I would bet and I'm optimistic by then this whole discussion will be a non issue.

2 things isuno1fan, I agree with your last line, I HOPE this is a non issue, second Clive sux. (jk I live in God's country too.)

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Losing Dodie, Mike, and Corey and others opened the table for new players. The swinging doors account for a lot of the chemistry issues on the floor. Jiri was injured. Wesley was injured. BP was not expecting to start. DG did not figure to start. The flu epidemic hit. Free Lucca became a crusade. Miles was an ignoramus. SH shot 0 for 26 and now is hitting threes at 50% in the last 14 shots. Brock J is one of our leading shooters. The 100 year playe return. The tundra was cold this year. Lots of things to deal with for McD this year.

It would be nice to settle down to some 4 year players who are used to the system. Hey, Beasley the Beast will be gone after the next Clone game. He will have set the NCAA record for most double- doubles for a freshman. The Sacramento Kings could use him. He probbaly will do more than Kevin Durant will do in the pros.

Kudos for the dunk Cory made in the game. He did not just lay the ball up and hope it would go in.

Last edited by Wesley; 02-17-2008 at 09:59 AM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Cyclone42

Quote Originally Posted by chadm View Post
    No one should neg rep for an opininon explained.
    My take is to look at why we are in this position. Mac took over the job with only 4 returning players. A short recruiting time table left him getting a great player in Wes under the radar, but the other didn't pan out as well. Second class brings in Garrett, Brackins and Lucca. Two young and one unable to play. We played Knebraska with four walk ons giving significant minutes. Haluska, Petersen, Thompson, and Lee.

I don't like the line of give more time, but IMO we need to get players that have some time in the system and have some experience in the conference.
    That much has been mentioned. My take is that we are lacking in some areas I call "fundamentals", like free-throw shooting, rebounding, and team assists. Regardless of the talent or experience or lack thereof on a team, these are areas that should show SOME improvement late into a season. I am having a hard time seeing it.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 114

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone42 View Post
    That much has been mentioned. My take is that we are lacking in some areas I call "fundamentals", like free-throw shooting, rebounding, and team assists. Regardless of the talent or experience or lack thereof on a team, these are areas that should show SOME improvement late into a season. I am having a hard time seeing it.
    Free throw shooting has improved a lot over last year. Rebounding is getting better, they are just undersized and Wes changing positons and being injured has hurt the rebounds. Assists will come with time and are getting better, when you have a freshman PG and a walk on PG you are not going to light it up in the assist dept.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 493
    Given: 953

I'm not worried long term necessarily, but you have to know people will be frustrated at losing games. I hate seeing us lose, even if we were fielding 5 guys with one leg.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    Free throw shooting has improved a lot over last year. Rebounding is getting better, they are just undersized and Wes changing positons and being injured has hurt the rebounds. Assists will come with time and are getting better, when you have a freshman PG and a walk on PG you are not going to light it up in the assist dept.
    I do not think we are undersized from a height perspective and perhaps not from a weight perspective if AT is 250 and Jiri is 240 and RC is 215. We have RC and WJ who have close to 40 nch verticals. We just do not get to the right spot because we do not know when someone on this team wil take a loose cannon shot.

Moving RC as a PF resulted in 13 rebpounds. Hmmm. How can he still guard the best offensive player and garner 13 rebounds? All heart.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Recruit
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 296
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

I know it's a fans right to express opinions. Heck... our opinion's don't even have to be logic based. If I don't agree with a comment, I generally just move on. I did, however, really cringe when I heard comments about our team being experienced... or... McD is failing... eeek! Folks... do you really believe that??????...

In today's basketball, guard play is king... Most all good teams rely on their guard play. Let's consider ours..
    • 2 of our point guards are walk on players... no offense to either of them, but most upper division team's walk-on's either play single digit minutes, or mop up time minutes.
    • The other is a pure freshman. Freshman rarely make an impact.
    • Lucca was anticipated to at least be in the 7 person rotation... gone
    • Taylor expected to start... gone
    • Wes, is strong... cant say enough about him... but let's not forget a) he's been injured, b) he's just a soph.
    How about our bigs?
    • Clark... tremendous... shows you the value of having some senior leadership.
    • Brackens... freshman. Freshmen bigs that make an impact are even more rare than guards
    • Thompson... starting to show signs of life, but I think no one believes he's talented enough to make a big impact this year... hopefully next
    • Jiri... see Clark comments
    I'm not trying to be a Debbie-downer, but you can't look at our situation and say it's coaching... or... we have experience... or... we have the talent. Sure we have some experience and some talent, but we are 1-2 years away.

I'm not saying we can't critique and complain. It's healthy to expect more. Let's just not jump off the bridge just yet. Facts are facts... we are not deep... we are not experienced... we are relying on walk on's... we are relying on Freshmen... we are in a season with lots and lots of new faces...

Yes, in the end it's the coaches job to get talent...keep 'em so they gain experience... and of course coach. The program McD inherited last year was not one year away from competing. It was a "rebuild" away. Rebuilds don't happen in 1 or 2 years. That's called a "retool."

No doubt in my mind we'll get there... absolutely none. 2 years... baby! 2 years!!! Then you'll see it. This guy can coach.

Go Clones!!!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 28

Being at the game it felt like RC had 20 rebounds. He was flying all over the place.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The point is, that NOONE, least of all me, is saying that Greg should be fired. But there nothing wrong in saying that we are bad fundamentally, because we are.

But when I am reading posts by people on here that say, well we're going to be bad again next year, which is year three, then I begin to question the direction of the program. I know that Greg had a bad hand when he had a month to find bodies when he got the job, and I can forgive that. But at some point, he has to be accountable.

The person starting this post mentioned comparing Greg to McCarney, and that is pretty on target, both replaced controversial figures, and have glad handed the fanbase and are popular because of it. People have already started using the same excuses for Greg that they were using at the end of Dan's time here........that can't be a good sign.

But, in the end, he will get at least his contract, because JP needs him to succeed. If he is going to see his "master facilities plan" through, Greg needs a big win, and soon. We will probably be underdogs in all of the remaining games. If we lose out, there is no good vibe to sell season tickets for next year. We need to beat one of the good teams left. and they're home games, so it's not impossible. Here's to hope that he can get KU when they come in here. I really think that could be the launching pad to get this program off the ground.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 607
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

The thing that bothers me about the way that we play, is that we are never the aggressor...not offensively, defensively, or in transition. Our defense is mostly a contain defense, and our offense basically puts zero pressure on the defense if the d does a good job of denying the post. If Jiri is unable to get a good seal, then what happens....it seems we are lost at that point, and end up jacking up some ill-fated 3 point shot.

Addict
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,623
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 225
    Given: 165

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post

I really hope your "FINAL" opinion on the man is not for a VERY long time. I hope we have plenty of success under McD and have it for long enough that we don't even need to discuss whether or not he should be our coach. I have faith that in 3 or 4 years we just might be trying hard to keep him here. Follow his track record people, he is a long-haul fixer of bball programs.

Wayne State year 1 (14-13), year 2 (12-15), year 3 (21-7), year 4 (20-7), year 5 (23-5), year 6 (26-6).

UNI year 1 (14-15), year 2 (11-17), year 3 (21-10), year 4 (21-11), year 5 (23-10)

If you want to look at it record wise, he is already ahead of his own "curve" at Iowa State. Will we win 20 games and go to the tourney next year? maybe. But prepare for a tourney run for sure. I do not believe we will be hovering at mediocrity for long under McD...time to just lay off of him for awhile and get behind our kids. We can't keep discussing his job situation after every game, it makes us look very fickle as fans, and honestly reminds me of someone else a lil further east in another sport. I know everybody wants to win, but you can either try and win right away and pay for it later, or you can choose to build to win more consistently. We chose McDermott, we chose consistently. Have some faith and patience Cyclones.

Last edited by Erik4Cy; 02-18-2008 at 12:39 AM.
    ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,135
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 9

I think it is way too soon to be comparing greg to McCarney. McCarney had been at ISU for more than two years before he had problems. McCarney had extablished his recruits and his system and still had several consistent years of underperforming. Greg on the other hand still has not been able to get his recruits settled into the program and we are still settling into his system. The fact of the matter is that we won a conference game yesterday regardless of who we played. Do you think we are just going to start consistently beating Kansas and Texas at the drop of a hat? Do you think just because our name is Iowa State that every great coach should salivate thinking about coaching here? That every McD All-American will want to play here? That just because we play in Hilton that other teams aren't going to try just as hard as we are to try and get better? Winning is not easy and building a consistently winning program is even harder. Grow up, grow a pair, swallow your stupid pride and try supporting your team whole-heartedly for a while instead of expressing your opinion which helps no one and only depresses the rest of us who read these boards. Sorry for venting but I really doubt that some people yelling about how poorly we won a game is going to help anything.