Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

A great day in Cyclone Basketball History

I can't believe all this negative talk here. Do people here realize we WON today??? We also got to witness a once in a lifetime opportunity today with the reunion of all these Cyclone legends and former players. This was a day of CELEBRATION and sadly some of you are cheapening that with negative talk.

I'll admit, I was frustrated and worried at halftime but you have to give credit to our guys and coach Mac for not quitting and playing one great 2nd half of basketball to cap this special day off with a WIN!

It was great to see all these former Cyclones in the alumni game today. Gary Thompson had a smile on his face the whole time and its amazing considering the Roland Rocket is probably around 70 to still be able to take the court next to guys like Fred Hoiberg and Grayer. I'm really glad I got to see that game and even if not all those guys are even a shadow of the great players they once were it was a great site to see our favorites all on the same court and enjoying and celebrating Iowa State Basketball. The halftime and post game ceremonies were a great tribute.

Let's not taint today with all this negative talk but use it for what it was intended which is to celebrate what a great and special basketball program we have. I don't know how anyone at the game couldn't have felt more proud to be a part of the Cyclone family after being a part of today.

Go Cubs Go!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

Re: A great day in Cyclone Basketball History

good post

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 258

Great game. It was one we should win. Yet the team looked like they had a lack of confidence with all the flu going around. We had bo shooter we could depend upon. Then SH came out of the blue the second half and pretty soon the old gal had life again and we went cruising. Good for DG to make the free throws at the end. And yes, when you scored your lowest amount of points in a half in a century, you did stink it up for 20. It did not matter in the end, thank God. It would not be good to finish 12th and have to play a #5 team in the tournament. Right now, Oklahoma State, ISU, Colorado, Missouri, and Nebraska are a toss up.

Jiri the Ferrari made Marek look like an Edsel.

Last edited by Wesley; 02-16-2008 at 08:07 PM.
    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 467
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks, and I will bet as people that were at the game that get home and read this garbage that was posted during the game you are going to hear a lot of the same things I just said. Reading some of the crap that was said just really irks me when today was meant to Celebrate our great Basketball program not to rip on players and coaches. Especially after they all gutted it out and came back to get a win. That's what Cyclone basketball is all about!

Go Cubs Go!

Giving it a go
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    Thanks, and I will bet as people that were at the game that get home and read this garbage that was posted during the game you are going to hear a lot of the same things I just said. Reading some of the crap that was said just really irks me when today was meant to Celebrate our great Basketball program not to rip on players and coaches. Especially after they all gutted it out and came back to get a win. That's what Cyclone basketball is all about!
    Most left the board after the first few minutes of the second half. The others are denying that they said anything.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

Rookie
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 198
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

I haven't read the other threads yet but I can imagine what they were like during the first half. One guy sitting behind me who is always whining got up and left with his wife 15 minutes into the game. I have never seen that before.

Legend
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 404
    Given: 280

Quote Originally Posted by chadm View Post
    Most left the board after the first few minutes of the second half. The others are denying that they said anything.

LOL, figures. Oh well. If they werent around, who would we discuss things with in circles. Keeps CF business booming

Legend
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 404
    Given: 280

Quote Originally Posted by JDDCy View Post
    I haven't read the other threads yet but I can imagine what they were like during the first half. One guy sitting behind me who is always whining got up and left with his wife 15 minutes into the game. I have never seen that before.

I have never walked out of a game. First of all its disheartening to the team. 2nd you paid for the game, sit back and watch some damn basketball.

Pro
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,452
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 47

Now they have all been replaced by the "the first half wasn't so bad" crowd

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    I have never walked out of a game. First of all its disheartening to the team. 2nd you paid for the game, sit back and watch some damn basketball.
    Exactly, I am sick and tired of all these people leaving with 5 minutes left to beat the traffic. It looks bad on all of us. Where do people have to be now? Just watch the frickin game and have fun watching this team grow.

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 467
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Ok now I am REALLY excited. I just popped my 100 years of ISU Basketball into the DVD player and before I get to the main part I played the Hilton Magic special feature first and I made it with a close up clip on the DVD holding my "listen to the HILTON MAGIC" sign that I had at the Iowa/ISU game when I was a student! I actually wondered the other day if that would some how make it on it as I made the front page of the sports section that next day with that sign. Wish I had a copy of that paper still.

Go Cubs Go!

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 3

im just glad i took at nap and slept through the first half

There are not many crowds or places in the country that have a better impact on the game than at Iowa State. The Cyclone fans are truly a sixth man. The place is so loud and always a fantastic crowd." - Former Kansas and current North Carolina head coach Roy Williams

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    I can't believe all this negative talk here. Do people here realize we WON today??? We also got to witness a once in a lifetime opportunity today with the reunion of all these Cyclone legends and former players. This was a day of CELEBRATION and sadly some of you are cheapening that with negative talk.

I'll admit, I was frustrated and worried at halftime but you have to give credit to our guys and coach Mac for not quitting and playing one great 2nd half of basketball to cap this special day off with a WIN!

It was great to see all these former Cyclones in the alumni game today. Gary Thompson had a smile on his face the whole time and its amazing considering the Roland Rocket is probably around 70 to still be able to take the court next to guys like Fred Hoiberg and Grayer. I'm really glad I got to see that game and even if not all those guys are even a shadow of the great players they once were it was a great site to see our favorites all on the same court and enjoying and celebrating Iowa State Basketball. The halftime and post game ceremonies were a great tribute.

Let's not taint today with all this negative talk but use it for what it was intended which is to celebrate what a great and special basketball program we have. I don't know how anyone at the game couldn't have felt more proud to be a part of the Cyclone family after being a part of today.
    Agreed, today was a great day to be a Cyclone fan, aside from the first half of the main event. Seems like most of the negative talk took place between 3:00 and 4:00 pm, in the 'fire McDermott' thread, which tells me that those people weren't at Hilton enjoying the celebration today.

If we hadn't turned things around in the 2nd half, I think that place would've been pretty empty for the post-game ceremony though!

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    Exactly, I am sick and tired of all these people leaving with 5 minutes left to beat the traffic. It looks bad on all of us. Where do people have to be now? Just watch the frickin game and have fun watching this team grow.
    They don't even beat any traffic though, because they all stand around the concourse watching like sheep. They do get out to the cold parking lot first, so shows what you know!

Prospect
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 178
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 22

I was at the tribute to Stevens game last summer and it was awesome to see all the former ISU greats play again. For some reason I didn't know until a couple of days ago that today's game was to be to honor the 100th year of Cyclone men's basketball. I would have given anything to have been in attendance and can assure you I would not have left the game early even if the team hadn't turned it around in the second half.

They had said at half time that the Cyclones had 15 turnovers in the first half and the box score shows they had 15 for the game so that was a big difference in how they were able to do it. Injuries and illness also played a big part in today's game but with other player's getting time and producing it will help the Clones down the road.

Certainly McDermott must also have had something to do with their success in the second half. I often wonder why a poor start can not be turned around until after half time, but that is quite common.

Does anyone know if there will be a video of the old timers game, half time festivities and post game celebration that was not available to TV viewers? It would seem that would be a good fund raiser as many who were unable to attend and many who were there would probably like one.

Also I read that Johnny Orr was planning to be in attendance. Was he not available for health reasons? Thanks for any input about today's celebration.