Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

3 Observations from Saturday and this weekend

1 - I am glad I opted to NOT buy season tickets this year. I bought into the hype in years past and decided to take a wait and see approach this year. Now I do not feel compelled to go to any of these horrible games. Call me a bandwagon fan but when these guys show the improvement or we change directions coaching wise I will be back.

2- I am convinced ISU's improvement in recent years is due to the weakness of our opponents NOT our improvement. That weakness unfortunately could not last for ever and we are beginning to see the regrettable result. Our competition is strengthening while we are not. Without a major change this separation is going to accelerate over the next couple of years.

3 – I have two schools I attended ISU and LSU, both ask for money with me having only so much to go around. As a finance person I look at ROI on investments, even though I live in Ames the ROI from my LSU investments is way higher than my ISU investment. Unless something changes I know where any future investment will be made. Even though LSU has two losses this year – Auburn and Florida both on the road I feel much better saying GEAUX TIGERS the Go Clones. I love ISU and chose to live in Ames because of that love but it is to one sided.

Really this season, right now, if someone promised me if we lose out we get a new coach or we win out and keep our coach - win out including B12 Championship and BCS bowl wins, I would take the new coach.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 432
    Given: 275

Re: 3 Observations from Saturday and this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by businesscyman View Post
    Really this season, right now, if someone promised me if we lose out we get a new coach or we win out and keep our coach - win out including B12 Championship and BCS bowl wins, I would take the new coach.
    That right there just may be worse than the "Pull the redshirt off Arnaud" thread.

Ridiculous...

Not going to happen...but if it did...your post is completely ridiculous.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 549
    Given: 309

Good first post.

I too would hate to win the Big 12 title game and the Fiesta bowl in the same year. Could you imagine how bad that would be if we had to travel to KC (is the game in KC this year?) and watch ISU win the Big 12 Championship in the national spotlight? And then to top it off, we were FORCED to go to Phoenix and play in the Fiesta bowl on January 3 (or whatever date it is) in front an even greater national audience??? And they would only give our school like $20 million to do it...I'm with ya brother.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 52

1 - I am glad I opted to NOT buy season tickets this year. I bought into the hype in years past and decided to take a wait and see approach this year. Now I do not feel compelled to go to any of these horrible games. Call me a bandwagon fan but when these guys show the improvement or we change directions coaching wise I will be back.

2- I am convinced ISU's improvement in recent years is due to the weakness of our opponents NOT our improvement. That weakness unfortunately could not last for ever and we are beginning to see the regrettable result. Our competition is strengthening while we are not. Without a major change this separation is going to accelerate over the next couple of years.

3 – I have two schools I attended ISU and LSU, both ask for money with me having only so much to go around. As a finance person I look at ROI on investments, even though I live in Ames the ROI from my LSU investments is way higher than my ISU investment. Unless something changes I know where any future investment will be made. Even though LSU has two losses this year – Auburn and Florida both on the road I feel much better saying GEAUX TIGERS the Go Clones. I love ISU and chose to live in Ames because of that love but it is to one sided.

I think that some of what you are saying is the truth.....our opponents have gotten worse and it has been easier to win games against the likes of NU, KSU and CU now than in the past. Remember guys, all three of these schools were national title contenders in the late 80's and 90's at some point respectively. Valid point.

However, I disagree that ISU hasn't improved. We are, unfortunately going through a year were we are not at all deep in the offensive and defensive lines, and that is a recipe for disaster.....both lines were dominated against Nebraska and there is not much coaching on gameday that can absolve a team of those weaknesses. Hopefully though, these key positions can improve as the year goes on. I for one can not ever see myself saying "I hope we lose." Sure you say that on this board, but what would you say if you were face to face with one of our players? I doubt you would be so brave.

And I am miffed by anybody that says this team has no heart......they fought til the very end. Hey, its a hard chore to beat a good NU team and its almost impossible to beat them and the refs at the same time. Who knows what could have happened had the correct calls been made throughout the game.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I am not a huge Mac guy anymore. In fact He drives me nuts but if we would win out and make a BCS bowl. Why would I want a new coach.

Clones Rule

Addict Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I'm upset with this team and Mac, but if I lived in Ames, I'd buy season tickets, no matter how good or bad. I live in LA and would love to go to some games. I donate money and I almost bought season tickets to basketball even though I probably wouldn't be able to go to a single game. So yes, I would call you a bandwagon fan.

Rookie
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 691
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 25

The Big 12 title game is in KC this year which is why I really wanted a B12 North title so I could make that easy trek to finally see ISU in one. Unfortunately, things are looking bleak at best right now. The last point about wanting to get rid of a coach over winning the Big 12 Conference Title AND a BCS Bowl is absolutely absurd. Come on... A Big 12 North Title at this point would be enough for me to keep Mac (not Cotton though unless something drastic happens like oh, running the table thanks to O, not Sklandeny's D; Sklandeny is a mastermind). I'd keep Mac probably anyways for another year with in likelihood Meyer and Blythe back for another year just so nothing stupid happens in case he left like both of those 2 leaving too (ie Stinson and Blalock).

Speechless
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 227

Call me a bandwagon fan but when these guys show the improvement or we change directions coaching wise I will be back.
    Yeah, pretty much what you are saying... definition of bandwagon fan. You've targeted the problem, now correct it.

Recruit Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Actually I admit the winning out comment is a little over the top - just a sign of my disgust. I would take a B12 and BCS Championship in a heart beat, but I would not sell out the program for it.

Bryce as far as Bandwagon fan goes, call it what you will if a real "fan" is someone who just writes a check and goes on without regard to results I will never be one. I epect, no DEMAND an ROI on almost every dollar I spend. I don't care if is in business or pleasure if you want the next dollar you better make me feel the last one I spent with you was well placed. I think to many followers of ISU think real fandom is just ponying up without any expectations and i think that is what gets us where we are.

I don't think there is anything wrong with my view to correct. I would and perhaps will say the same thing to the AD who I see around town a lot.

Fickle - how do you excuse the lack of depth with a 12 year head coach? Do yourealize that we are seeing the results of recruiting after some of the best records in the history of ISU? Those record are from when our conference opponents were down period. Now they are coming back and if we don't make a change we are going to sink back to depths not seen before.

Cloneworld might be my first (now second) post but I have lurked here for a long time, usually I don't post bfd. Does having just one post make the truth untrue?

POOTMFS
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,799
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

"I expect, no DEMAND an ROI on almost every dollar I spend. I don't care if is in business or pleasure if you want the next dollar you better make me feel the last one I spent with you was well placed. "

I couldn't agree more.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 73.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 796
    Given: 526

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    That right there just may be worse than the "Pull the redshirt off Arnaud" thread.

Ridiculous...

Not going to happen...but if it did...your post is completely ridiculous.

Jeremy,

I think you should start a new item on your bulletin board: A group of moderators should pick the Post of the Week and go for it. This could be ther same person only once a quarter. Archive those hummers so we can look back and enjoy.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If you are a financial guy looking at ROI, I don't believe that you ever had anything to do with the cyclone football team. Are you telling me that you bought them in the past because of the ROI? My ROI is more than enough for me to keep coming back because my return is one hell of a fun Saturday tailgating with all the anticipation of the game. And outside of some frustrations, it is still unbelievable to be right there in the Jack with all the other Cyclone fans going wild when we do make things go right. So as far as I'm concerned I can show you where your ROI should go.

“Also, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I don’t want to leave any of that behind.” - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 549
    Given: 309

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Jeremy,

I think you should start a new item on your bulletin board: A group of moderators should pick the Post of the Week and go for it. This could be ther same person only once a quarter. Archive those hummers so we can look back and enjoy.
    I second that...there are a lot of funny people on these boards and I like to laugh. And excellent idea.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 268
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 102
    Given: 23

Call me a bandwagon fan
    Indeed.

Recruit Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CY ST8T View Post
    If you are a financial guy looking at ROI, I don't believe that you ever had anything to do with the cyclone football team. Are you telling me that you bought them in the past because of the ROI? My ROI is more than enough for me to keep coming back because my return is one hell of a fun Saturday tailgating with all the anticipation of the game. And outside of some frustrations, it is still unbelievable to be right there in the Jack with all the other Cyclone fans going wild when we do make things go right. So as far as I'm concerned I can show you where your ROI should go.

No Matt Once I was young also and did not look at things the same as I do now and just having fun tailgating etc was enough. Enjoy your time I don't think I said it shouldn't be enough for you, I said it is not enough for ME and my money.